Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cinema charging for 3d glasses

• 25-07-2010 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

hi everyone and i am sorry if this is posted in the wrong section but the cinema in gorey is newly open a few weeks now and i went today with the missus and two chaps to see toy story 3 in 3D and i was a bit taken back when i was charged 50 cent for each of the 3D glasses that i needed that was an extra €2 on top of what the ticket prices are i have been a few times before this a was not charged for the glasses

forgive me if i am coming across mean but why would a cinema charge customers extra for to see a 3D film anyway and then charge us again for the 3D glasses
    in fairness have any of you seen anyone watching a 3D film without the glasses NO because its impossible to enjoy the movie because its blurry so i think the cinemas know we have no other choice but to pay the extra money for the glasses

if cost is the factor for the cinema why cant they but a box outside each screen and recycle the glasses has anyone else come across this at there local cinema

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

It's because people steal the glasses if they're left to be recycled. This way the next 3D movie you go to, you can bring your own and not have to pay again.

Also, for a kids movie, would you necessarily want a pair of glasses if there was a possibility the last wearer had head lice?

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭cycocycle

Hold on to them yourself. There is no problem re-using them at another film. Kind of like the carrier bag charge, a nominal charge makes you more inclined to hold on to them rather than getting new ones every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Michael B

I don't mind paying to buy the glasses. If you hold on to them you can use them again. However the paying extra to watch a 3D movie over a normal movie is wrong. Pay for the glasses sure but charging extra for the movie is ridiculous. Are all cinemas doing this or only some?

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

Thoie wrote: »
    It's because people steal the glasses if they're left to be recycled. This way the next 3D movie you go to, you can bring your own and not have to pay again.

Also, for a kids movie, would you necessarily want a pair of glasses if there was a possibility the last wearer had head lice?

then charge a rental fee of maybe a €1 that you get back if you brought the glasses back after the movie as for the head lice you mentioned you could get lice if you put you head on the head rest of the seat in the cinema

but i think charging people for the glasses is a bit much when there was not even a 2D version of the movie an option to see

Michael B wrote: »
    I don't mind paying to buy the glasses. If you hold on to them you can use them again. However the paying extra to watch a 3D movie over a normal movie is wrong. Pay for the glasses sure but charging extra for the movie is ridiculous. Are all cinemas doing this or only some?

i dont know about all cinemas but the 3 nearest to me are all charging between €2-€3 extra for to see a 3D movie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Be aware that most of the price for the cinema ticket goes to the company that produces the film, with a very small percent to the cinema. Thus, unless it plans to make a massive loss ((200 people * €2) * 5 times a day) = €2,000 a day, they'll charge you.

the_syco wrote: »
    Be aware that most of the price for the cinema ticket goes to the company that produces the film, with a very small percent to the cinema. Thus, unless it plans to make a massive loss ((200 people * €2) * 5 times a day) = €2,000 a day, they'll charge you.

the cinema makes a lot of profit from the sweets drinks and popcorn and i dont have a problem with that at least you have the choice to buy them or not but but the 3D glasses are a different story they should not be a extra on top of the price of the cinema ticket if a cinema ticket for a 3D film is advertised for €9.00 why are we expected to pay €9.50 to see the film why pay extra for glasses when the film is advertised for €9.00

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

smokin ace wrote: »
    the cinema makes a lot of profit from the sweets drinks and popcorn and i dont have a problem with that at least you have the choice to buy them or not but but the 3D glasses are a different story they should not be a extra on top of the price of the cinema ticket if a cinema ticket for a 3D film is advertised for €9.00 why are we expected to pay €9.50 to see the film why pay extra for glasses when the film is advertised for €9.00

If the film had been advertised at 9.50, and you got to keep the glasses, would you be happy to pay 9.50 for the next 3D movie you see, thereby being "forced" to buy more glasses, even though you already own a pair?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

some rediculous comments here, they don't get the glasses for free, so why should you
    if anything they should be applauded for encouraging re-use of the glasses

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Rockshamrover

It's not unique to Ireland. I was in Berlin recently and brought the kids to see the new Shrek 3d movie. Had to pay extra for the glasses.

Seems reasonable to me as you do have the choice, in most cinemas, to watch the 2d version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,897 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It's not unique to Ireland. I was in Berlin recently and brought the kids to see the new Shrek 3d movie. Had to pay extra for the glasses.

Seems reasonable to me as you do have the choice, in most cinemas, to watch the 2d version.
    Sadly here there is often no option to watch the 2D version as the cinema will only get the 3D version if they are a 3D cinema. Sadly both my local cinemas have converted to 3D so that option has been lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Slasher

Michael B wrote: »
    However the paying extra to watch a 3D movie over a normal movie is wrong.

The film distributors charge extra to the cinema for 3D movies, so the cinema have to pass that on to the Customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,421 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Either they charge you up front and you keep them, or they give them away for free and you pay through increased ticket costs.

The glasses do not cost nothing, the consumer will be charged either way, the cinema's seems to be doing this the best way possible.

You can also watch another non 3d movie, or go to another cinema which shows the 2d version, or wait for it to come out on DVD/Blu-ray/TV.

The biggest scam is the cinemas charging extra for the 3D and glasses and then making you hand back the glasses after the film. If it was a case of paying once for the glasses and then getting a discount next time you brought them with you fine, but to charge you 3 or 4 euro to rent them is a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭srfc19

There is a very small chance of getting head lice from the head rest of a cinema seat or any seat, and to suggest you could get it from the glasses is a bit far fetched! I'm surprised you can even leave your house with the dangers outside if this is something you are worried about.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Slasher

The biggest scam is the cinemas charging extra for the 3D and glasses and then making you hand back the glasses after the film.

Where does that happen? I'll definitely stay away from that cinema.

Advertisement