Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Brendan Monday 13 Jan 2020 ** See Mod note in OP before posting**

1474849505153»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,880 ✭✭✭✭zell12

DailyMail - Brendan batters Britain - and the worst is due TODAY:
    features Galway swimmer & LE Samuel Beckett cam

• Registered Users Posts: 10,507 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Epic wind speed comparison chart. February seems a good month for the biggest ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,095 ✭✭✭pad199207

• Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Out of curiosity how did people’s weather stations work out for them.im thinking of getting one here myself and would appreciate any advice on which one to get.thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Out of curiosity how did people’s weather stations work out for them.im thinking of getting one here myself and would appreciate any advice on which one to get.thanks

my anenometer is too low so it topped out at 48km/h which i know is in the 90+km/h wind speed.
    apart from that the rain is pretty accurate, but had to replace the guage after 10 years so last weekends deluge wasnt caught properly.

and well temp pressure and humiidity as long as temp is in the shade is pretty spot on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I have an Instromet weather station for many many years never gave me a problem and works very well, the highest gust yesterday at my station in Galway was 110kmh it was averaging around 80 to 100 after that in gusts died down then and got going again around 4pm but did not reach the earlier gust of 110km, only downside is I cant use it on my PC .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭dacogawa

The Great South Wall during high tide yesterday.

https://twitter.com/DavidCostelloDC/status/1216821605512437761

Storm 10 wrote: »
    I have an Instromet weather station for many many years never gave me a problem and works very well, the highest gust yesterday at my station in Galway was 110kmh it was averaging around 80 to 100 after that in gusts died down then and got going again around 4pm but did not reach the earlier gust of 110km, only downside is I cant use it on my PC .

Where did you buy it storm10 if you don’t mind me asking

Where did you buy it storm10 if you don’t mind me asking

https:/www.instromet.co.uk

Google Instromet weather stations if the link don't work they are a lovely station

Google Instromet weather stations if the link don't work they are a lovely station

Thanks for that.ill check them out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Jesus they're an awful price for what you get.

Jesus they're an awful price for what you get.

Dear ok but never had a problem with it when I purchased it around 20 years ago there were no weather stations like you have today

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭NH2013

Ficheall wrote: »
    Just landed in Toronto - that was without a doubt the most turbulent takeoff I've ever been in.

I was at the airport fence watching the landings as that Toronto flight took off, the LAX flight that landed just before your flight tool off was the stormiest landing I've ever seen, I swore it was about to crash at one point, as it crossed the runway threshold it got a violent wing drop and just rolled over but the pilot managed to arrest it and get it onto the runway, the pilot's voice sounded very shaken as they taxied off the runway.

However then when the Toronto flight was cleared to takeoff they sounded very relaxed and calm, the pilot of the Toronto flight even wished ATC to "Have a nice day" as they started down the runway, though there was also quite a wobble and wing drop off it just as it got airbourne. I was wondering how he sounded so calm after having just seeing one of his colleagues clearly being ravaged by the winds but guess it's all in the training.

Your flight seemed to take off just as that squall pushed through, the wind swung around in those 2 minutes from 190 around to 230 based off the tower reported wind.

An amazing day for spotting at the airport and a real sense of appreciation into the skill that pilots must have flying on days like yesterday.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

A few tweets showing the sea state during Storm Brendan. Didn't hear anything from Galway , looks like it did not cause any problems there ?

https://twitter.com/barrabest/status/1216840500730351616?s=20

https://twitter.com/SafehavenMarine/status/1216819452685312000?s=20

https://twitter.com/Kscott_94/status/1216729348843167744?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Good morning.

Gales and rain raging out here so catching up. Too noisy to sleep

My internet went down. The dish is on a very exposed northern facing gable end wall and this is the first time it has ever had problems. Westnet fixed it somehow. Amazing folk.

We are still on gale warnings out here; hail and heavy deluges. Yesterday was about keeping warm . Another bad day ahead. But yellow only

And as others have said, met.ie did a wonderful job; accurate and timely.

Brendan was/is almost if not quite the most violent storm in a long life of island and coastal living. At times terrifying. And there is no shame in being terrified. The noise is inescapable and sleep is impossible.

We would get a very bad storm end of May/ early June. They called it the "gab of May. " One year because of the "airt" ( direction) it swept all the seabirds' nests and nestlings off the usually safe cliffs. We would save food tins, and cut the bottom out, to protect cabbage seedlings.

All is well and it seems not too much damage out there?

PS belated thanks to " Foggy Jew" for kind words.
    Hope all are well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Glad your OK Grace. You and squarecircles got the brunt of it this time.

I remember Ophelia, watching the polytunnel go, seeing the roof tiles land in the garden during the worst of it and wondering, what if predictions are wrong? if the roof goes, what do I do?
    Thankfully that was the worst of it and it was a fast moving storm.

Cleanup took weeks, no mobile, no electricity for a week, trees down everywhere. And Dublin got a light breeze.

Anyone scoffing has never experienced weather like it. So they can't empathise. Take no notice. Glad all is well

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Th3B1tcH

I rarely post here(dont want clog up the thread) but a long time followed of this forum, 1st place I look for weather events some great knowledgeable posters spot on with most detail right down to the timing.

Just want say thank you to weather experts on here and Grace7 keep posting I missed ur posting when you were offline last year often wondered if you were ok but I get the impression you know how to survive well even in bad conditions most wouldnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

150mph winds!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,834 ✭✭✭pauldry

NIMAN wrote: »
    150mph winds!

Is that a black alert?

Advertisement