Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Met Éireann Website (beta)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I like the csv download of current observations, but is there any API for historical data? Perhaps another way to retrieve machine readable current conditions for a specific location?

Does the CSO provide any historical weather data?

Anyway, my initial impression using chrome on my android phone is that the homepage displays too much data and perhaps needs more organisation.

Overall though, a great improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

First glance - I love it. I really like it.

It's a much fresher look and the things that I'd go to click on first are there on the home page (RADAR and short range forecasts). Images load very quickly from that right-hand menu, so it feels really nice to use.

Well done and thank you!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Just had a quick look at the front page, the only thing that stands out during that quick look is that for the location marker on the weather radar, which is a good idea, it would be better to use something other than the same blue as is used for rainfall, and on the further out zoom, it wouldn't hurt for it to be a bit smaller. I realise the colour choice may be restricted due to the wide range used for different rainfall, but the blue is probably the most common of them all.

An option to go for a longer radar time period with a longer time interval would also be nice, in order to be able to get a longer picture of the movement of weather systems.

I will look further as I get time.

Overall impression though it that this could be a good upgrade.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Very, very nice. A huge improvement on the old, well laid out and simple to use. All the graphics look great.
    Works perfectly in Chrome and on Mobile.

A couple of tidbits from me though that would work a bit better:

-font is a bit large, nothing that Ctrl+Scroll won't fix but default should maybe be a little smaller.
    -rainfall radar - is it possible to have the high-res?
    -layout on homepage; would be nice to see maybe latest recorded TV forecast up top (similar to UKMO, maybe with off-air videos produced also?) with radar + IR sat side by side above or below this.
    -the blue is great, a lot of it though so maybe change up the colour of the navbar and add accent colours just to brighten things up a little.

Otherwise, I'm sold. Great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I like the csv download of current observations, but is there any API for historical data? Perhaps another way to retrieve machine readable current conditions for a specific location?

Does the CSO provide any historical weather data?

Anyway, my initial impression using chrome on my android phone is that the homepage displays too much data and perhaps needs more organisation.

Overall though, a great improvement.

I actually emailed them last week asking about an API, there's none available but csv's with entire station histories are available on the historical data page. I'm considering trying to put a database together though it'd be very tedious work to get up and running and I just don't have the time right now. Would be an interesting project though with plenty of possibilities

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

A quick look and i love it but the radar needs to be the same as the Hi-Res one they show on Twitter. Great to have 5 min updates though. Great improvements overall.Well done to all involved

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I actually had no problem with the 'old' site :o While some may have considered it 'archaic' and 90s looking, I liked the consistency and reliability of it, and it has become like an old friend in a way. And it also contained charts and radar that had a distinctive high quality look that you would never hope get on third party commercial sites.

Anyway, my pros and cons for the new site:

Pros.

Really like the idea including local based meteograms

The ability to download current and recent data is a great new feature.

Zoomable forecast charts.

Some petty cons:

The loss of the daily Atlantic frontal charts + the 3 hour forecast maps.

The loss of the clean looking, minimal radar with green land/ blue sea. Probably on my own here, but I think inclusion of roads/town names etc on the map just makes it look more cluttered.

The overall colour scheme. Have grown to love the traditional and distinctive light gradient greens of the Met Éireann brand.

As much as I love the Dubs and Dublin itself, but despite entering my location, I still get a visual historic report for Dublin Airport on the top of the current/yesterday's weather page when I click on them.

List of first world problems complete.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭RoisinD

Love it and having rainfall radar on front page is a real bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,370 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Any chance we could have more NWP data from the ECMWF on the site?

The Icelandic Meteorological Agency has this freely available to the public for the North Atlantic on their website.

I'd also like to see the temperature at 850 hpa height as this is far more intuitive for deciphering different air masses. You could put a good few other parameters in there as well.

Otherwise it's fine. Just that lack of extra NWP data is disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Rougies

I like it. Better than I expected for a beta version. Love that we finally have Belfast radar coverage, and 5 minute updates are great too.

Can we get the two "step" forward/back buttons on either side of the play button like on the old radar page? I know there's a slider now, which is is nice to have, but the buttons are much easier to use when tracking shower trajectories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

On the new site I can't find that hourly Marine surface analysis chart that is on the old site here

http://www.met.ie/latest/marine-analysis.asp

Also, it would be nice to have the regional airport reports too. I know they're metars and Donegal and Kerry are part time, but it should be no problem to incorporate their metars into the Current Observations table, when available. Most of all, a clickable map of the stations to bring up their data is a must and is standard in most other countries.

Just on the surface level pressure charts - i'm not sure the focus is correct. Probably should be zoomed out more with greater emphasis on the Atlantic...

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Liffey4A

Looks great. Animated rain radar is a big improvement

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I only ever use the Android app.
    I mostly use it for the radar. Very handy when out and about and you want to see when the rain is coming. I also look at the regional forecast and the temperature.

On a Galaxy S8 I have been having scrolling issues where the screen jumps back up when I scroll down the app.
    No issues with other apps.

It would be nice if the app had rainfall amounts in the Latest Reports section but with the totals over a day/week/month/year and the ability to compare with other stations.

Thanks and best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,181 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Welcome to 2018

100 times better looking site.

Having a few isotherms on the map might be better and I'm not sure what the W's and C's refer to?

Max/Min, Warm/Cold

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Rougies

- To have non-rounded temperatures would be great, and also to have dewpoints in there too.

That would be very nice. One way to do it would have the non-rounded temp and DP in the little pop-up box when you mouse over the temp graph. That way the clean look is maintained but more detailed info is still easily available without clutter.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

Mainly a mobile user, don't find the front page busy, like that I can scroll and the main relevent info I need comes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,834 ✭✭✭pauldry

Is there a daily data page where you can see the daily data for 30 days on one page?

Where is the past weather with monthly totals of rain temp etc

• Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

If you're looking for the daily data and monthly data features, just click on "climate" and the menu will appear including those.

• Advertisement

• Is there a way to play the rainfall radar or rainfall forecast faster?

I like the mobile site. Scroll through and all the info I usually look at is there. No back and forward and switching to the main site for short range for cast. I liked the much simpler map for the short rang forcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭octo

igCorcaigh wrote: »

How about here? https://beta.met.ie/climate/available-data/historical-data

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Has anyone managed to find the equivalent of http://www.met.ie/forecasts/3hour.asp and http://www.met.ie/forecasts/5day-ireland.asp on the beta site ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Pangea

Nice site, I like the new rainfall radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Villain wrote: »
    Has anyone managed to find the equivalent of http://www.met.ie/forecasts/3hour.asp and http://www.met.ie/forecasts/5day-ireland.asp on the beta site ?

The closest to the 5 day forecasts I know is these on the home page though there are no wave depth forecasts:

EiDJ1OY.png

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Have the classic "Atlantic Charts" graphics been removed altogether in the new version, or am I just not finding them?

These ones -

ISO_TODAY_ATL.png?1121

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

This site will obviously be easier to replicate in Mobile or Touch version, but for me the Web version is too long and too cluttered for a good Ux

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I love that you now have webcams on the new site, though only Malin Head is working at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

I love that you now have webcams on the new site, though only Malin Head is working at the moment.

they all look to be working for me

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I like the site, had a quick look, rainfall radar is a big improvement with the zoom. But I just wish we had better weather now:(.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Advertisement