Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Emulation Discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Inviere wrote: »
    Apparently Super Mario Odyssey is now fully playable form start to end on Yuzu. There are still some visual hitches, but at the rate its been progressing, I'd say it'll be visually perfect in a matter of weeks. Regardless of your stance on the ethics of emulating a current machine, the technicalities of what they've achieved are hugely notable.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭Inviere

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    ;)

Meh, I bought the game, I’m not too concerned. I actually don’t have Yuzu myself, waiting on it to mature some more.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Has anyone used the CRT "emudriver" set up for more than just groovymame? Looks like the new version of emudriver outputs sync on composite so you could in theory connect up your sony trinitron TV directly to your PC's VGA out with a modded RGB scart cable.

Groovymame looks amazing on arcade CRT with 240p and the superwide resolutions. Other emulators like Demul on the other hand only support normal resolutions like 640x480 and 480i interlacing and look very flickery unless you have a candy cab trisync monitor for 480p.

I've read a little about some emulators other than groovymame supporting the super wide resolutions such as mednafen. Are there any others?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I now have a CFW PSTV.... thanks to Kerbdog... now what do I do with it?
    Is there a list of what I need to install next?
    I'm not really interested in another way to play MAME games, but to have it running my PS collection would be class.
    So ripping my titles into ISOs and then converting those to eboot?
    Is that the next step?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,283 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Man, they really got it wrong with the PC-FX. Coming from the glorious PC-Engine, to a glorified FMV machine :( I can’t help but think what the machine could have been

It's crazy isn't it? There was one on adverts a little while back. Was tempted to pick it up until I saw the games :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Does the Demul emulator require a 3d card ?

Does the Demul emulator require a 3d card ?
    Yes a directx11 compatible card is needed

I now have a CFW PSTV.... thanks to Kerbdog... now what do I do with it?
    Is there a list of what I need to install next?
    I'm not really interested in another way to play MAME games, but to have it running my PS collection would be class.
    So ripping my titles into ISOs and then converting those to eboot?
    Is that the next step?

Yeah I wouldn't be overly interested in CFW for yet another way to emulate everything again, so turning it into a PS1 and PSP machine is a nice goal (one that can play Vita games such as fan translations etc is a nice bonus). As for ripping and converting, I'd consider it way easier just to download the games you own, and simply transfer them over. Ripping and converting be damned.
    o1s1n wrote: »
    It's crazy isn't it? There was one on adverts a little while back. Was tempted to pick it up until I saw the games :eek:

Yeah such a shame. I'd half like one as a shelf warmer/oddity, but when you see the games lineup :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,930 ✭✭✭Doge

The PSX2PSP utility is great for converting Disc Images to eboot and let's you add an icon image, background image, background music and icon animation that will appear in Adrenaline.

There's also the naughty way of downloading PS1, PSP and Vita games called Ah now... Mod snip.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,930 ✭✭✭Doge

Doge wrote: »
    Ah now... Mod snip.

Apologies for that if it's against the charter. :o

I thought it was links to ROMs / BIOS etc.. that was not allowed in the forum, where as merely naming a homebrew app for educational purposes was okay. ;)

• Advertisement

A homebrew app that contains the engine to download directly a mountain of games.... Yeah.....

Master of the Universe

Just spent this evening chaining together three Sony monitors. 10 consoles on a switcher go into the BVM, then out of that, into the LMD and then from that into a PVM.

I was interested in seeing if the chain would still work if you switched off certain monitors, it does. So I can actually have all 10 consoles displaying all three monitors at once or just have one on at a time.

Also wanted to see if there was any loss in picture quality, zero. RGB on the little 9 inch PVM at the end of the chain looks razor sharp.

Just spent this evening chaining together three Sony monitors. 10 consoles on a switcher go into the BVM, then out of that, into the LMD and then from that into a PVM.

I was interested in seeing if the chain would still work if you switched off certain monitors, it does. So I can actually have all 10 consoles displaying all three monitors at once or just have one on at a time.

Also wanted to see if there was any loss in picture quality, zero. RGB on the little 9 inch PVM at the end of the chain looks razor sharp.

00c20ee42139ef968677cdc1e485d755.jpg

Any pics of this nice set up?

Can you tell us more about pvm, lmd and bvm's? I think the bvm's have a higher resolution but I thought the folks in the states were the only ones looking for pvm's as they were normal res with rgb - is that not just the same as a standard euro tv? In usa they don't have rgb in their tv's and are resorting to crazy rgb hacks like this https://youtu.be/DLz6pgvsZ_I. We are lucky to have rgb as standard.

Master of the Universe

Any pics of this nice set up?

Can you tell us more about pvm, lmd and bvm's? I think the bvm's have a higher resolution but I thought the folks in the states were the only ones looking for pvm's as they were normal res with rgb - is that not just the same as a standard euro tv? In usa they don't have rgb in their tv's and are resorting to crazy rgb hacks like this https://youtu.be/DLz6pgvsZ_I. We are lucky to have rgb as standard.

Will try to get some video up later, looks really cool seeing the Super Metroid intro playing simultaneously across three screen :)

No it's not the same as a standard euro TV as pro monitors have a higher resolution.

I posted a little while ago about TVL count and that's what it comes down to really.

Most standard TVs have a TVL of approx 350-400. Some as low as 250. Pro monitors tend to be 600-900+. (Both BVM and PVM) So you're talking far clearer, more defined picture.

The phosphors used will also be of higher quality, so you'll have more vivid colours. Have to see it in person to really appreciate the glow.

You have far more control over screen geometry and can play about with that to your heart's content. Manual degauss. Option of expansion cards. Chaining them together etc.

They're also just lovely looking industrial designed yolks! Lots of early 2000s TVs are that silver finish which was all the rage at the time but it now looks hideously dated.

I was in Swords Recycling Centre again yesterday... definitely I think the bins there are getting the best of the CRT displays now :(
    I wouldn't be surprised if there's been more than a few broadcast monitors destroyed instead of being sold.
    Charity shops won't take electrical goods anymore, so that's kind of it as a trove for retrogaming.

Was about to green light an Odroid Go as a Christmas present for myself, but having looked at them properly, man, the screen tearing particularly on NES stuff is a deal breaker.

Was about to green light an Odroid Go as a Christmas present for myself, but having looked at them properly, man, the screen tearing particularly on NES stuff is a deal breaker.

Hmm, I quite like mine.
    Also, they are updating the emulator package over time, so be sure you are watching the most recent one.
    Mine is mostly for GB/C games anyway, and works a treat + is cheap as chips.

Hmm, I quite like mine.
    Also, they are updating the emulator package over time, so be sure you are watching the most recent one.
    Mine is mostly for GB/C games anyway, and works a treat + is cheap as chips.

I watched some quite recent ones, which say GB/GBC are noticeably better, but when it comes to NES, I don't even need to hear the review, you can see terrible sheer/tearing/shimmer in the videos. I think it's to do with the hardware of the screen itself, and apart from not supporting vsync, it's hardware locked to 30fps so causes display issues in quite a few games. I was quite disappointed tbh, looks lovely otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,439 ✭✭✭✭briany

What hardware controller would ye recommend for playing emulators on an android phone? Hard to discern the best from ones listed on Amazon, Ebay etc.

Ideally the features would be that it can physically hold the phone in some way, rechargeable battery, enough buttons to map to most systems, and decent build quality.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

The 8Bitdo ones are great. Have ones that look and feel exactly like NES and SNES pads.

briany wrote: »
    What hardware controller would ye recommend for playing emulators on an android phone? Hard to discern the best from ones listed on Amazon, Ebay etc.

Ideally the features would be that it can physically hold the phone in some way, rechargeable battery, enough buttons to map to most systems, and decent build quality.

I'm sure there's phone holding adaptors out there for the Xbox One controller? I'd say go for that one, it's a brilliant all rounder. Failing that, the 8bitdo ones are brilliant too as o1s1n says

• Registered Users Posts: 13,439 ✭✭✭✭briany

The 8Bitdo ones are great. Have ones that look and feel exactly like NES and SNES pads.

I've seen those, and they look cool for what they are, but no in-built way of holding the phone while you play, and the SNES/NES layouts would restrict versatility, if you wanted to use it for something like an N64 or PSX emulator.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,317 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

You can even get a grip to attach one to your phone. Got one delievered last week and it's quality.

https://www.amazon.com/8Bitdo-Xstander-Holder-SFC30-SNES30/dp/B017SFNW0E

Master of the Universe

briany wrote: »
    I've seen those, and they look cool for what they are, but no in-built way of holding the phone while you play, and the SNES/NES layouts would restrict versatility, if you wanted to use it for something like an N64 or PSX emulator.

They do iterations with analogue sticks too which are meant to be pretty good.

https://www.robotshop.com/eu/en/retro-wireless-controller-bluetooth-8bitdo-sf30.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1YrXq6zj3gIV5r3tCh2fIwTjEAQYAyABEgKBEPD_BwE

Launchbox Black Friday Deal - https://www.launchbox-app.com/premium

1 year - $10
    Forever - $40
    Upgrade existing license to forever - $20

I bought a 1 year license last year in the Black Friday sale for $10, so just upgraded there to forever for $20, well well worth it. I wonder could you buy a 1 year one now for $10, and instantly upgrade it for $20, meaning a forever license for $30?

What would this oddity be like, I wonder, for emulation purposes, instead of an RPi?
    https://www.directspsi.com/index.php?route=product%2Fproduct&path=8&product_id=940

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

That thing looks crazy good. Cant find any reviews though

In hindsight, you'd probably be as well getting an ultra small form factor, refurbished Dell off Adverts for small enough money.
    As long as you aren't trying to play fancy smancy stuff it'll be quite capable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭megaten

In hindsight, you'd probably be as well getting an ultra small form factor, refurbished Dell off Adverts for small enough money.
    As long as you aren't trying to play fancy smancy stuff it'll be quite capable.

I have a GPD Win (the first one) though I don't play it much because of its heat issues but Atom processors are more capable than you'd think. You could defiantly play a lot of emulators and indie games on them. Though if its just going underneath a TV you'd probably be better off using an old laptop or something.

Advertisement