Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Over-priced consumer technology?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,414 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I don't have to send my stuff back tbh.

Is that because Huawei won’t acknowledge the issue?
    That sucks man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭NewClareman

You haven’t a clue, a MacBook is miles ahead of any windows laptop that are uslesless after a no time macs last for years more same for iPhones far far better designed, better made and much better software as the software and hardware integration is vastly better than android and the million phone makes that use it.

The resale value of a few years old Mac or iPhone just shows they last.

LOL. Windows laptops are useless after no time??? Not in my experience.

a MacBook is miles ahead? Might, emphasize might, be true since the latest hardware was announced. Before that Macs were wayyy behind.

iPhones led the way in terms of usability and features. Nowadays, it’s much more of a toss up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Blazer wrote: »
    Is that because Huawei won’t acknowledge the issue?
    That sucks man.

Because it tends to work until it's out of contract and then I just get another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

iSac's are the dogs bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Jasper_ wrote: »
    Eh... 4k useless? LOL

4K is the only tv people buy these days.

Yeah to make use of the abundance of 4k sources...

oh wait

• Advertisement

Because it tends to work until it's out of contract and then I just get another one.

Unless you owned a galaxy note in which case you went BOOM!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Sorry man but ye fandroid lads are blinkered.
    Look at huawei’s latest flagship phone “mate 20 pro”.
    Same price as iPhone.
    Loads of people have issues with green backlight bleeding and Huawei tried to pass it off as an oled feature.
    I sent an iPhone back to Apple last Monday for replacement battery.
    UPS came to collect it, delivered it to Apple who fixed it Tuesday and UPS delivered it back to me on Wednesday.
    Show me an android phone manufacturer who can deliver the same service??
    Thought so!!!

If Apple made their products with a removable battery, you'd not have had to send it off at all.

Just popped the new one in when it arrived.

You see? Swings and roundabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

If Apple made their products with a removable battery, you'd not have had to send it off at all.

Name me a company who's flagship phone has a removable battery in 2018?

Nobody.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

All the people hating on 4K. I have a 4K tv and I love it. I'm a big gamer so my games look stunning on it compared to HD. There is a blatant different when viewing 4K content compared to HD content on a HD TV. Yes, most tv stations don't support it so you won't notice the difference, but I didn't get a 4K to watch corrie, or sports.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

There was an ad on the radio the other day for (I think) Harvey Norman, advertising a 43" TV for €449. The same ad also mentioned the Dyson hairdryer, yours for "only" €499. :eek: I'm sure the technology is impressive, it seems to be a smaller version of their bladeless fans/heaters, from what I've seen. But I know which I'd get an awful lot more enjoyment from and I'd still have 50 quid in my pocket to buy a probably decent enough hairdryer if I was so inclined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Zaph wrote: »
    There was an ad on the radio the other day for (I think) Harvey Norman, advertising a 43" TV for €449. The same ad also mentioned the Dyson hairdryer, yours for "only" €499. :eek: I'm sure the technology is impressive, it seems to be a smaller version of their bladeless fans/heaters, from what I've seen. But I know which I'd get an awful lot more enjoyment from and I'd still have 50 quid in my pocket to buy a probably decent enough hairdryer if I was so inclined.

But watching tele won't get ye a riode.

Name me a company who's flagship phone has a removable battery in 2018?

Nobody.

Yeah they kinda neglect to mention that with all their Apple hate.
    I get that people don’t like Apple or android etc but to make dumbass statements about either just makes a muppet of themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

limnam wrote: »
    But watching tele won't get ye a riode.

Explaining to my wife that I blew 500 quid on a hairdryer might have the same effect. :D

You are going to have a much lower quality product from a build quality, look and feel if its got a removable battery it also won't be waterproof. I don't really see the need for a removable battery anymore and its the same for all the high end phones not an apple only thing by any means.

You are going to have a much lower quality product from a build quality, look and feel if its got a removable battery it also won't be waterproof. I don't really see the need for a removable battery anymore and its the same for all the high end phones not an apple only thing by any means.

Sshh..don’t get too technical with those android fanbois. Way too complicated for them.. as far as those poor sheep are concerned ...google good , Apple bad.
    Anything more complicated and it fries their brains.

Sshh..don’t get too technical with those android fanbois. Way too complicated for them.. as far as those poor sheep are concerned ...google good , Apple bad.

From what I've seen on this thread there are sheep-like fanbois on both sides who have basically managed to totally derail the thread into the usual perpetual squabbling about which is better. It's like the tech equivalent of Liverpool vs Man Utd fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭AllForIt

My LG G5 has premium specs. It has the same processor and memory as the Samsung galaxy S7, their flagship fone of 2 years ago. Its blazing fast has 2 cameras one a cool wide angle and a removable battery. Also fingerprint scanner ir for TV and 2k screen rez.

I paid 125 euro for it. Replacement screens if cracked cost 25 euro at cheepest. Its dead easy to open and fix any faulty part. A former fone i had a galaxy s6 it cost over 100 minimum to replace screen and hugely difficult to disassemble.

5.3inch screen perfect size for me. Not huge but ultra managable in the hand. Its slim and battery is good...fast charge and usb c. IMO its way better than those Mi or Xiaomi brands..and cheaper.

Point is if you know your stuff you can now get excellent high spec fones for nothing in comparison to iPhone and Samsung premium fone prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

How do you know that someone has an android phone. They keep setting up threads on overpriced consumer technology referencing Apple.

Zaph wrote: »
    From what I've seen on this thread there are sheep-like fanbois on both sides who have basically managed to totally derail the thread into the usual perpetual squabbling about which is better. It's like the tech equivalent of Liverpool vs Man Utd fans.

And yet it was the android fanboys who derailed it in the first place. Usual chip on their shoulders

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,494 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I've had Apple products from the beginning. Work in advertising, graphics , typography & photography (using an ampersand here ;))

I find the MacBook pro and Imac pro unbeatable for durability, longevity & security in the area I work in.

I loved my Iphones. Had the first gen to the latest, but moved to Android recently to see what the fuss is about and found it a tough migration for an Apple fanboy. (When I say an Apple fanboy I mean I still have my dad's Apple SE from around 1987, it's in the attic and probably still works)

Whilst the Apple PC's will stay for professional purposes, I think the Iphone has had it's day. The only reason older people are sticking with it is because of the "railway track" familiar design that force people to use their phones in a certain way. My (first) Android is much more versatile, lots more options and way's to do things. And I'm starting to see a good few apps available to Android that aren't available to Apple (Leap card for one).

I'm pretty sure VERY techie people can do exactly what Apple users can do on their PC's because they are very techie people. But I can't see the MacBook pro and Imac pro being take over in my industry. I've seen people trying to do it and it hasn't worked even with a full paid Adobe suite and more doing it disastrously with hacked Adobe suites with non payment AND damage payout results.

I'm currently using a seven year old MacBook pro that's been across Africa, Europe, Indonesia, it's been dropped, spilled on, the pad stopped working for a year and somehow fixed itself. The battery isn't great but the only thing I've had to change is the charger. It's running handbrake, Illustrator, Photoshop, In-design and a version of quarkexpress. I download movies and music.

If the iphone and it's battery was as durable I'd still have one. But now that I have a high end Android on family trips using google maps around Europe with much far superior battery time, a tiny recharge time with a better camera and much higher resolution videos... I'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭AllForIt

How do you know that someone has an android phone. They keep setting up threads on overpriced consumer technology referencing Apple.

How do you know when someone falls for Apples marketing speil. When they say their iPhone just works.

Depends what you want from a phone? Assuming you don't break a phone the battery is a reasonable first point of 'failure' for a lot of phones where the charge doesn't hold during the day any more. Being able to replace them was/is a great feature. Fair point on waterproof but how many phones/pieces of tech are waterproof? I'd also argue that most people buy a phone and the first thing they do is put a case on it so arguing looks/feel for a rectangle in a case is a moot point. Companies just want to make things slimmer (I've no idea why) and it helps to have these things as not replaceable so people have to upgrade sooner than they might want to.

You seem a bit angry? Did someone insult your expensive rectangle facebook machine?

Depends what you want from a phone? Assuming you don't break a phone the battery is a reasonable first point of 'failure' for a lot of phones where the charge doesn't hold during the day any more. Being able to replace them was/is a great feature. Fair point on waterproof but how many phones/pieces of tech are waterproof? I'd also argue that most people buy a phone and the first thing they do is put a case on it so arguing looks/feel for a rectangle in a case is a moot point. Companies just want to make things slimmer (I've no idea why) and it helps to have these things as not replaceable so people have to upgrade sooner than they might want to.

You seem a bit angry? Did someone insult your expensive rectangle facebook machine?

Why would I be?
    I have the latest iPhone XS Max in my hand and not the p20 with the oled screen issues I was originally looking at getting .
    Us Apple users are a happy bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Yeah they kinda neglect to mention that with all their Apple hate.
    I get that people don’t like Apple or android etc but to make dumbass statements about either just makes a muppet of themselves

I like how you say that then go on to post several posts sneering at android and talking about how great apple is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Jesus the apple nonsense here is strong and I used to work at apple

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭mammajamma

Exsqueeze me everyone, but arguing over apple or android is a big part of the problem.

What are EITHER of them doing to justify crazy prices? Some fidgety BS "improvement" doesn't equal another 800 for a new phone.

What am I missing here, beyond technophilia?

I like how you say that then go on to post several posts sneering at android and talking about how great apple is.

Show me one post where I sneered at Android?
    I actually consider Android to be an excellent OS.
    Sure there are some flaws like app security, memory management, OS updates but that's to be expected when its the OS for multiple smartphone manufacturers.
    Its great that Google are now forcing all OEM manufacturers to support updates for 2 years..its a start at least considering Apple is around 4-5 years.
    But ideally I would love the Android front end customization, with some of the apps that can run like torrent download managers and nice widgets etc with the security of ios, apple pay and memory management and preferably on that nice mate 20 pro but obviously using the apple oled screen quality.

mammajamma wrote: »
    Exsqueeze me everyone, but arguing over apple or android is a big part of the problem.

What are EITHER of them doing to justify crazy prices? Some fidgety BS "improvement" doesn't equal another 800 for a new phone.

What am I missing here, beyond technophilia?

Well android isn't a phone brand just an OS.

So you've Apple which is an expensive product and then the rest spread out across a massive price range from dirt cheap to just as expensive that usually use android.

My issue is that for a fraction of the cost you can buy a rectangle that in real world usage does the same as the Apple rectangle. But then that's the choice people make. I don't lose sleep over it but it confuses me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Simply because it's the most obvious answer. But the thread is not about Apple, it just descended into the usual overly defensive type one whenever it does come up.

Advertisement