Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official 2019 US Open Thread - Pebble Beach

• 11-06-2019 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭

Dont see a thread for this yet. Should be a great week. Lots of different narratives going on and a lot of players playing well.

Love this course and this tournament so hope it all goes well.

Hard to know who will win it. Would love Tiger to hit #16

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Would love a top battle, Brooks, Dustin, Rory and give me Tiger too fighting it out with all on top form..
    ...but nothing will compare to the Tiger Slam where he destroyed the field back in the day, that was just unreal to watch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Blinky Plebum

Hopefully we get a controversy free tournament and the USGA set up the course properly and don't try to embarrass the players in order to keep the score close to par or have a really easy course like it was for Erin Hills.

Just go back to the traditional US Open Set up of narrow fairways and high rough and forget about screwing around with ridiculous pin placements (like last year) and it should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

https://twitter.com/i/status/1137003216523149312

Rough is definitely up:D:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭PhuckHugh22

Just looking at some of the flyovers there on the site.

https://www.usopen.com/course.html

Jesus the 2nd is an absolute animal converted to a par 4. 516yards :o If they put the pin back right 5 will be a result.

Love the 8th hole.(Probably my favorite hole in golf that i havent played)
    Actually the stretch from 6-10 is unreal. Would love a crack off them.

The US Open has always been about he who makes the least mistakes wins, Dustin/Brooks/Rory all so accurate off the tee could be a deciding factor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,407 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It looks like the USGA have said feck it and are going back to the old way of trying to stop as many players as possible getting above par.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Optimistic the USGA wont mess up too bad this week. As was mentioned, they seem to have reverted to the traditional US Open formula, so tight fairways and heavy rough on the menu. I think they understand you can take some risks on new courses like Chambers and Erin Hills, but to screw up at Pebble would be deemed almost sacreligious. Shinnecock was a massive black eye so they cant really afford a repeat.

2010 was brutally difficult -14 and 17 were almost unbirdeable, on day 4 at least - but none of the players were up in arms despite an unexpected winner in GMac and Havret as runner up, so they mustve considered it fair.

It was bone dry back then. Looks like itl be softer this week, so you have to think therl be a few guys under par by week's end. But they wont destroy it.

Unless Rory gets over his hangover promptly 😶

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

DJ will get the win this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,425 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

This guy has a great YouTube channel. He's around a 3/4 handicap (US)

Here he is playing Pebble with the current set up for the US Open & attempting to break 90 strokes

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

martinkop wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/i/status/1137003216523149312

Rough is definitely up:D:eek::eek:

He's in a hazard though, you can see the red stakes at the end. Not representative of the rough in play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

I fancy Finau for this week, I think he is close to winning a major.

etxp wrote: »
    I fancy Finau for this week, I think he is close to winning a major.

Finau has a terrible record of winning full stop he's won 1 tournament on the PGA tour and that was the Puerto Rico Open which was against a reduced field as a WGC was on the same week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Finau has a terrible record of winning full stop he's won 1 tournament on the PGA tour and that was the Puerto Rico Open which was against a reduced field as a WGC was on the same week.

I know he hasn't won much but I still think he is capable of winning a major. he has had a few top 10 finishes, I don't know the stats but he hasn't performed bad in majors.

I know he hasn't won much but I still think he is capable of winning a major. he has had a few top 10 finishes, I don't know the stats but he hasn't performed bad in majors.

I worry will he turn into one of those players who have a great degree of consistency but their top level of performance isn't enough to win them much he's very consistent in majors without ever really looking like he was going to win one.

Hope I'm wrong though as he's a good player to watch and seems likea nice fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    It looks like the USGA have said feck it and are going back to the old way of trying to stop as many players as possible getting above par.

You mean below par.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 473 ✭✭Pissartist

Well Jack has tipped Tiger so who am i to argue with him, i have Lowry and Pieters each way aswell, it'll be interesting to see how far the ball is travelling through the air and on the deck, alot of players will hit irons and three woods off the tee, if that's the case it's hard to look beyond tiger,

Good point, Pebble is not overly long but obviously the longer off the tee you are the closer you are to the green so the higher your approach and ability to stop on the green

• Registered Users Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Watched a few videos from the course and I'm thinking course management will be key so I'm leaning towards Tiger, speith of Kuchar. Should be a great test.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

A week to leave the driver at home,if TW is tuned up this should suit him down to the ground,but he has a tendency to pull so he could flounder,personally i fancy Frankie to get major no.2,about 4/5 under

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Quality player no doubt but needs to improve his putting. I wouldn't fancy him on the fast greens at pebble particularly if it's windy. I do think he's capable of winning a major but I reckon a PGA is his best chance since they (I assume) have the least tricky greens of the four.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

I can see an outsider with experience like Snedeker, Kuchar or even our own G Mac going close this week.. You don't need to be a bomber to do well here. Patience and decision making will be rewarded and these three guys will go well I feel.

US opens have a habit of dipatching many top players by end of play Friday also, so don't be surprised to see some big names missing the cut. Rory has missed the last 3 US open cuts on the bounce..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Redo91

What time is this likely to finish up at on Sunday? Will it be a 2/3am job?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,425 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Redo91 wrote: »
    What time is this likely to finish up at on Sunday? Will it be a 2/3am job?

Yeah, that's probably not far off correct. Its an 8 hour time difference. Last group out on day 1 is at 2.40pm local time as far as I know. Field will be smaller by Sunday, but even if they're out at 1pm local, that's 9pm start time here & the way pros play these days, you won't be getting much change out of around 5.5hrs for the round I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭paulos53

Live stream of the featured groups:

https://www.usopen.com/watch/live.html

McIlroy, Rahm, Leishman
    Mickelson, McDowell, DJ

Also for anyone looking at the Leaderboard.. there is a big delay on the PGA Tour site so best to use the US Open site below

https://www.usopen.com/scoring.html

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭PhuckHugh22

Cracker of a start from Rahm and also Piercy.

Will Rahm finally get the job done in one of these.

Lovely shot from McIlroy on 17. Tough tough par 3.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Looks very cold and overcast for California.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,098 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Some hole to birdie

Advertisement