Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Go-Ahead Dublin City Routes - Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I think they might lose a few , but the 2k bond is a real anchor for them.

Perhaps but it may mostly effect the ones who did who already had a D licence before they joined GAI. As the 2k was only for the ones who they trained up themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 rorybyrne7

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Perhaps but it may mostly effect the ones who did who already had a D licence before they joined GAI. As the 2k was only for the ones who they trained up themselves.

I don't think that bond will worry the drivers the extra money they will earn in DB will well cover that bond. plus GAI said in media coverage and on the news they will cover the cost of training drivers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

rorybyrne7 wrote: »
    I don't think that bond will worry the drivers the extra money they will earn in DB will well cover that bond. plus GAI said in media coverage and on the news they will cover the cost of training drivers.

Thats what I was thinking, your not goign to be worried about 2k if your earning 5k more per annum after tax

CramCycle wrote: »
    Thats what I was thinking, your not goign to be worried about 2k if your earning 5k more per annum after tax

lol I think it be more like 10k after tax remember GAI are only earning 14.50 an hour and they could be rostard for 44 hours and that's at 14.50 no overtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Makes me wonder. Dublin bus have lots of marked in drivers going spare. As GA are taking routes of us. Are DB doing this now to give GA a good kick when they are stuggling already. Perfectly timed ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

Makes me wonder. Dublin bus have lots of marked in drivers going spare. As GA are taking routes of us. Are DB doing this now to give GA a good kick when they are stuggling already. Perfectly timed ..

Keep in mind the Dublin Bus services are expanding, not only at peak but also at weekends. Many existing routes are increasing frequency at weekends such as the recent changes with the 14 and 15 etc. All of these changes require extra drivers. We are also expecting 24 hour routes to begin in the next few months.

rorybyrne7 wrote: »
    lol I think it be more like 10k after tax remember GAI are only earning 14.50 an hour and they could be rostard for 44 hours and that's at 14.50 no overtime.

I was just making up the numbers, I remember from the GAI head guy that there was at least a 10k difference, although i thought it was before tax. Either way the point stands, if your earning more than you need to payback in a short period, hard to see why you'd stay. This said I imagine there are plenty of other drivers waiting to come through but could be wrong.

I wouldn't think that tbh. GAI or not DB would still have to recruit drivers to replace drivers who have been dismissed, leaving or retiring.

I wouldn't think that tbh. GAI or not DB would still have to recruit drivers to replace drivers who have been dismissed, leaving or retiring.

GAI are going to be stretched next month ween the new routes come online for them. They are going to lose more drivers over conditions and duties while out on the road. 1 of the drivers was telling me they have walk outs everyday and even drivers not turning up without calling.

CramCycle wrote: »
    I was just making up the numbers, I remember from the GAI head guy that there was at least a 10k difference, although i thought it was before tax. Either way the point stands, if your earning more than you need to payback in a short period, hard to see why you'd stay. This said I imagine there are plenty of other drivers waiting to come through but could be wrong.

I honestly doubt that Go-Ahead claim they are offering salaries of up to €32k all though I'd say that's more around the €26k-€28k mark. DB are offering €630 a week for a 4 day week which works out around €33k a year rising to €860 a year for a 5 day week if GAI were offering 10k less than DB then GAI drivers would be only be getting €23k before tax maybe €10k less than a marked in driver but not €10k less than a spare on a 4 day week.

I'd say DB don't offer a whole lot more starting out over GAI but rather offer higher chances of rises than GAI drivers. That would be my impression it could be off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Db is short drivers, there are duties off daily and buses dumped all over the city as there is no relief driver.

Db has had to turn drivers away and standards of driving are high and fail rates are high also.

Some of the training buses I've seen out for GA are extremely poor and the trainers should be keeping a better eye on where their road position is.

I've had quite a few near misses in car and also as a bus driver where I've had to point to instructer to have them actually give space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Some of the training buses I've seen out for GA are extremely poor and the trainers should be keeping a better eye on where their road position is.

Most of the training buses (the navy ex-Oxford Mercedes single-deckers) are terrible to drive - fifteen years old, rattly as hell, massive tail-swing, >12 metres long and have spongy (all-or-nothing) brakes. The logic is that if someone can master driving those monsters, they'll find the test buses (the red ex-London double-deckers) comparatively easy. Almost like driving a car in comparison. Their pass-rate is very high so far, so it seems to be working.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Most of the training buses (the navy ex-Oxford Mercedes single-deckers) are terrible to drive - fifteen years old, rattly as hell, massive tail-swing, >12 metres long and have spongy (all-or-nothing) brakes. The logic is that if someone can master driving those monsters, they'll find the test buses (the red ex-London double-deckers) comparatively easy. Almost like driving a car in comparison. Their pass-rate is very high so far, so it seems to be working.

Great on the test roads but not so much around dun Laoghaire, Dalkey etc.... Tight roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Great on the test roads but not so much around dun Laoghaire, Dalkey etc.... Tight roads.

I think the logic behind having some lessons around Dun Laoghaire, Dalkey, Bray, etc, is that if you can avoid clipping the kerbs and roundabouts out there, you should have no problem in Finglas.

I honestly doubt that Go-Ahead claim they are offering salaries of up to €32k all though I'd say that's more around the €26k-€28k mark. DB are offering €630 a week for a 4 day week which works out around €33k a year rising to €860 a year for a 5 day week if GAI were offering 10k less than DB then GAI drivers would be only be getting €23k before tax maybe €10k less than a marked in driver but not €10k less than a spare on a 4 day week.

I'd say DB don't offer a whole lot more starting out over GAI but rather offer higher chances of rises than GAI drivers. That would be my impression it could be off.

There is an interview further back in the thread where the manager of GAI gave these details openly, not as high as DB but higher than private. I just don't remember the numbers. They were a lot less than DB, But I don't think as low as your numbers.

I think the logic behind having some lessons around Dun Laoghaire, Dalkey, Bray, etc, is that if you can avoid clipping the kerbs and roundabouts out there, you should have no problem in Finglas.

Also it builds up familarity with the areas which Go-Ahead are operating in if especially if the driver isn't familiar with the area for if and when they start driving for Go-Ahead. I've also noticed one or two 182 GAI SGs with L plates if I were the NTA I wouldn't be mad keen on an operator using brand new NTA owned buses for training.

I think of the Go-Ahead teething issues have been sorted there seems to be less people annoyed on Twitter at
    Go-Ahead, which might be a sign things are improving. The first few times I used Go-Ahead buses the RTPI was a bit off by a few mins but today the real time was correct when I used it.

DB offer a whole lot more as a new start.
    You are working a whole day less in DB on the bottom rung of the ladder for more than top rate GA drivers gets , and are no where near yet.
    ABout 30 hours a week on average , with pay going up on a scale for the 4 day drivers over 6 years to an extra 100 per week.
    And a chance to jump onto the 5 day when you want. Which has better hourly rates and a bigger tax free bracket.

You are on full pay for your training as well with DB. And a free dinner.

GoAhead can solve their problems by paying their staff better than peanuts. And treating them as an asset to the company rather than a hindrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭howiya

And a chance to jump onto the 5 day when you want. Which has better hourly rates and a bigger tax free bracket.

How does this work? Would have thought if you earn more you pay more tax

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

DB offer a whole lot more as a new start.

What, like being spare and not knowing your shift from one day to the next which wrecks havoc with your family life? A more stable rostering and shift system I have heard Go-Ahead staff speak as a big benefit over DB.

• Advertisement

GoAhead can solve their problems by paying their staff better than peanuts. And treating them as an asset to the company rather than a hindrance.

Do you have evidence of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭john boye

Are loads of those new 4 day drivers still leaving as fast as they're joining because the shifts are horrendous or has that been stemmed?

devnull wrote: »
    What, like being spare and not knowing your shift from one day to the next which wrecks havoc with your family life? A more stable rostering and shift system I have heard Go-Ahead staff speak as a big benefit over DB.

4 day late lads start at 3ish onwards. When I was on it, it was consistent. You now know what duty you are on 2 days in advance. I personally would like to back on it as it was like being marked in.

john boye wrote: »
    Are loads of those new 4 day drivers still leaving as fast as they're joining because the shifts are horrendous or has that been stemmed?

Duties can be a bit crappy, as most of the lates are. You still get workouts and nice duties as well. You go to work knowing there is an 8 hour work day ahead. If you start worrying about what other marked in lads are getting, you will just do your own head in. Out of the 10 or so started with me. 1 has left in nearly 3 years. Over child care . If one thinks that go-ahead are better to work for than DB, they are disillusioned.

Duties can be a bit crappy, as most of the lates are. You still get workouts and nice duties as well. You go to work knowing there is an 8 hour work day ahead. If you start worrying about what other marked in lads are getting, you will just do your own head in. Out of the 10 or so started with me. 1 has left in nearly 3 years. Over child care . If one thinks that go-ahead are better to work for than DB, they are disillusioned.

What's a workout duty? Is it just another name for a bogey?

What's a workout duty? Is it just another name for a bogey?

It's a duty about 5 hours long with no break. Bogeys are like two short runs with a 3 or 4 hour break. Suit some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

devnull wrote: »

You may be a small bit behind the curve,in relation to your perceptions of what people find acceptable or not.

You may believe that GAI's rostering and shift systems are vastly superior (for yourself),however as current events are showing,the company is having to reassess and modify it's arrangemets going forward,just as Bus Atha Cliath's rosters and shifts today are nothing at all like what prevailed 10 or 20 years ago.

It is very easy to get a somewhat skewed view of these issues on fora such as this,when a small handful of posters can,by persistence alone,appear to represent a vast army of disaffected,angry employees howling at the moon in their haste to collapse the entire sector.

From experience,BAC with 3,500 employees,the majority of whom are working a broad spectrum of rosters across several sectors,there will never be a universally popular shift pattern.

What is the case,and will continue to be so going forward,is the tendency of shifts to become more individualized to routes,sectors,seasons and even individual staff members.

I do not doubt that some of your contacts in GAI,will find their rostering system more acceptable than BAC's however,unless you have engaged in some form of universal and confidential sampling process,I would be less confident of this being representative of all such staff.

Public Transport service provision across ALL sectors will always involve shift-working,and unpleasant & unpopular shifts at that.

I have absolutely NO doubt,that as GA entrenches itself further in Ireland,the exact same grumbles,growls and moans that pervade BAC related threads will take centre stage with them too.

That's life ? ;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

john boye wrote: »

It has not been "stemmed",as there has not been anything to stem.

There never were "Loads" of new 4 day drivers leaving.

The attrition rate is in the region of 8%,with several different reasons for leaving,such as better Job offers in the Fire Brigade,Gardai or Ambulance Service,in addition to several returning to self-employment in the Building Trade.

It has to be borne in mind,that with 3,500 staff,there will always be a staff-turnover ratio,due to Retirement,Resignation,Promotion,Death in Service,Long Term Illness etc,and yes....displeasure with working hours,but not to the extent being portrayed on here.

;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

howiya wrote: »
    How does this work? Would have thought if you earn more you pay more tax

I have no idea. Maybe it's something to do with part time and full time. But my colleagues and I went up considerably when we went on the 5 day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

markpb wrote: »
    Who appoints the board of CIE?

The Transport minister, who the board answer to. Day to day operations are not meant to be micromanaged by ministers in agencies that have been separated from the civil service, but they can if they want to, they can change laws or issue ministerial orders at any time too, in the latter case, an SI as it's formally called, an executive order as the Americans call it, it's literally stroke of the pen law of the land, as long as it's consistent with the "purposes and principles" of the act under which it's issued, it's as valid as an act of the oireachtas.

So while they are not meant to micro manage day to day operations (mostly so the people who know what they are doing can do their job in peace) they can make strategic decisions and flat out order them to implement them.

CIE are not in charge, IE are not in charge, the govt are in charge, the govt is their legal master, paymaster and can make and unmake them, they will do what they are god damn told to do if they are told to do it, it's that simple.

Advertisement