Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brooklyn brewery

• 27-10-2010 8:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

Ive heard and seen good reviews about there beers but the only one i think ive seen in Ireland was the Brooklyn lager . Ive heard that they are using brewing methods that were used before prohibition and that they are vastly superior to most of Americas beers.
    Has anyone tried their beers? What places stock them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭JnarF

There's a lot of their different beers available in Ireland now. Think I even heard someone mention their lager is for sale in some SuperValu's?
    I've had a few different ones. Thought they were all very good. Their 10% Chocolate Stout was very tasty but not for abusing! You can get a lot of their range on www.drinkstore.ie , used it myself a few times. Great service.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Sharkey 10 wrote: »
    Ive heard that they are using brewing methods that were used before prohibition
    Every brewery does ;)
    and that they are vastly superior to most of Americas beers.
    Wouldn't go that far, but they are mostly very good, especially the lager and the Black Chocolate stout. You'll get them in most any decent beer offy or pub: the green and yellow pins on this map.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

I had a few Brooklyn East India Pale Ale's a while ago from Redmonds in Ranelagh, they were absolutely outstanding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sharkey 10

BeerNut wrote: »
    Every brewery does ;)

Wouldn't go that far, but they are mostly very good, especially the lager and the Black Chocolate stout. You'll get them in most any decent beer offy or pub: the green and yellow pins on this map.
    wherever i read the thing about prohibition i got the impression thst there were a lot of changes in american beers before and after prohibition

wherever i read the thing about prohibition i got the impression thst there were a lot of changes in american beers before and after prohibition
    There were certainly a lot fewer breweries. But I think the marketing people for the bigger, older, craft breweries (like Brooklyn) use it as a way of saying "we don't make Bud-style light lager".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭goldencleric

I buy up a load of Brooklyn lager when it goes on special in my local Supervalu (which it is now :D ) and i really really like it, so on the recommendation of BeerNut I headed out to drinkstore and picked up some Brooklyn Chocolate Stout which is absolutely amazing!

Got the IPA as well which was quite nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

[
    QUOTE=goldencleric;68727381]I buy up a load of Brooklyn lager when it goes on special in my local Supervalu (which it is now :D )

Can I ask which Supervalu you have seen it on special? The nearest one to me would just be off O' Connell St!

Aston Quay had it on special when I was in last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭goldencleric

yeah I get mine in Swords so Aston Quay is probably the best place

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Focalbhach

I picked some up in Aston Quay today (Thursday) - the label on the shelf said that the €8.99 offer is valid until 30th October (Saturday), after which it reverts to €10-odd.

So get movin'!

• Advertisement

yeah I get mine in Swords so Aston Quay is probably the best place

Got it, drinking it and liking it.

Happily surprised with the great selection of beers available in Supervalue although I didnt see much Irish beers except the normal ones. Slightly annoying sometimes people think its nicer just because its foreign!!

Rant over,, back to my Brooklyn now!!

MANUTD99 wrote: »
    I didnt see much Irish beers except the normal ones. Slightly annoying sometimes people think its nicer just because its foriegn!
    It's more a distribution issue, I'd say. The Irish micros supply direct, not through a wholesaler, so it's a lot more work for a supermarket to get them in. Especially a supermarket that's owned by a wholesaler, as I believe SuperValu is.

It's more a distribution issue, I'd say. The Irish micros supply direct, not through a wholesaler, so it's a lot more work for a supermarket to get them in. Especially a supermarket that's owned by a wholesaler, as I believe SuperValu is.

I understand what your saying. Just a pity we don't see some more Irish beers in there. Hopefully in the future as I think we have some excellent beers available.

MANUTD99 wrote: »
    Hopefully in the future as I think we have some excellent beers available.
    Absolutely. And I should counter the above by pointing out that Superquinn have always gone the extra mile for Irish craft beers. I remember buying Finian's, Biddy Early and Dublin Brewing Company in there, they stuck with Carlow all the way through and now they've added Porterhouse and (am I right here, noby?) Dungarvan is on the way.

Absolutely. And I should counter the above by pointing out that Superquinn have always gone the extra mile for Irish craft beers. I remember buying Finian's, Biddy Early and Dublin Brewing Company in there, they stuck with Carlow all the way through and now they've added Porterhouse and (am I right here, noby?) Dungarvan is on the way.

I have to say I'm a big fan of the Carlow crowd and all of their produce but mostly their stout. It would be great to see the lads down there bring it to bigger levels and make it a really big brand name. How great would that be.:)

Got some of the lager today , very nice , kind of creamy (if thats the right term) seems to be well rounded .
    Looking foward to trying there other beers. Anyone know anywhere i can find them besides online ?

We'd need to know where you live.

Edit: Also, I've already posted a link to the map of good beer offies. Try them.

We'd need to know where you live.

Edit: Also, I've already posted a link to the map of good beer offies. Try them.

Near athlone , infact i was there today . I got the lager in tesco . There is a o briens there , i didnt check today but the only had the lager as well.

Hmm. Other than online, I think it'll depend on how often you get to Dublin or Galway :(

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Molloys Clondalkin

Have to say Brooklyn Lager is one of my favorites I tried the pennant when I was in New York last year but they dont distribute it to Ireland yet hopefully it will come online soon.
    Justout of curiosity op how much was it in supervalue think you said €8 was that for a six pack??

• Advertisement

I tried the pennant when I was in New York last year but they dont distribute it to Ireland yet
    It's in Deveney's Dundrum and DrinkStore.

It's in Deveney's Dundrum and DrinkStore.

maybe its not the pennant they dont distribute but there is one I remember the supplier sending me some pretty pictures of a few types and when I went to order it they told me it wasnt here yet!! ironic I know.

now off to dundrum with me

• Registered Users Posts: 16,725 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Bierhaus in Cork has Pennant and Octoberfest Ale.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 budro

Brooklyn makes some fantastic beers aside from lager, brown ale, and pennant. Molloy's in Bray carries the 750ml bottles of limited edition beers. Here's a review of two of the beers. Beer Review.
    The manager of Molloy's said that the Distributor of Brooklyn products regularly sold out all his shipments and that the demand was growing. Lager and Brown Ale are made by contract at large brreweries but everything else is made at the small brewery in Williamsburg and so supply would be quite limited.

budro wrote: »
    Brooklyn makes some fantastic beers aside from lager, brown ale, and pennant. Molloy's in Bray carries the 750ml bottles of limited edition beers. Here's a review of two of the beers. Beer Review.
    The manager of Molloy's said that the Distributor of Brooklyn products regularly sold out all his shipments and that the demand was growing. Lager and Brown Ale are made by contract at large brreweries but everything else is made at the small brewery in Williamsburg and so supply would be quite limited.

Thats Wally from Porterhouse beers he does an amazing job keeping ireland in some strange stuff the man is worth his weight in gold!!!
    but theres only one problem Molloys dont have a store in bray:confused:

At a guess I'd say budro means Holland's: great off licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 budro

Sorry it was my fingers rather than my brain at work there. I do mean Hollands, great shop, nice staff that know their beer. Not knocking Molloys which has a better selection than most, but Holland has real passion for craft beer.

Budro Im not getting paid from Molloys for this I do it for the beer (well honostly whiskey thats my real passion!!) and any critisism Id gladly take as it means I can see where we fail our customers.
    havent been out to bray in a while but I must have a trip over to check out what they have!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,675 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Hmmm............ Went into sweeneys tonight and they have the pennant and brown ales. Seems like someone's viewing this thread. Not the biggest fan of the brooklyn lager but picked up a 6 pack of pennant to try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Last time I was in New York I tried Brooklyn Monster Ale. It's a barley wine and clocks in at over 10%. I'd love to get it here but I doubt if anywhere stocks it.

Advertisement