Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Childfree by choice forum

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,390 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

'I chose not to believe in god'

Close atheist forum.

Plenty to be discussed on this subject matter. The joy of waking up late on a Sunday could be discussed for thousands of pages :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭sunbeam

+1

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Thanks all. The 6 week voting period is now up on this and I'll submit the suggestion for a childfree forum to Admins for discussion.

If anyone has any examples of somewhere on the site where these discussions or similar ones are already taking place please post them here. It is not completely necessary but will help in supporting the request and showing that it is a topic that people want to discuss. Thanks!

/r/childfree is a fairly toxic mess if you're looking for an existing example.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Demonique

In Ireland there are orders of magnitude more parents and people who will desire to be parents at some point than individuals (admittedly growing) who choose to be childless.

If someone chooses not to have children then they're childfree not childless

• Advertisement

Demonique wrote: »
    If someone chooses not to have children then they're childfree not childless

Save it for the forum (if approved), this thread is for discussion of the proposed forum only.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Thanks all. The 6 week voting period is now up on this and I'll submit the suggestion for a childfree forum to Admins for discussion.

If anyone has any examples of somewhere on the site where these discussions or similar ones are already taking place please post them here. It is not completely necessary but will help in supporting the request and showing that it is a topic that people want to discuss. Thanks!

Cheers, Niamh. A lot of the discussions tend to turn up in PI/RI, and I don't think it's appropriate to link them here for obvious reasons. But a few other examples would be:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057853408

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058081393

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056975245

(The search function on boards is not conducive to finding these threads easily!)

Outside of boards, there are loads, such as the Facebook group Respectfully Childfree with over 13,000 members, as an example of a non-toxic community. "Childfree Humour" on FB has 86,000 followers, there are Meetup groups, and lots of others examples, but I'm not sure they're relevant to your request for examples on the site :).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Faith wrote: »
    Cheers, Niamh. A lot of the discussions tend to turn up in PI/RI, and I don't think it's appropriate to link them here for obvious reasons. But a few other examples would be:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057853408

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058081393

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056975245

(The search function on boards is not conducive to finding these threads easily!)

Outside of boards, there are loads, such as the Facebook group Respectfully Childfree with over 13,000 members, as an example of a non-toxic community. "Childfree Humour" on FB has 86,000 followers, there are Meetup groups, and lots of others examples, but I'm not sure they're relevant to your request for examples on the site :).

3 threads from 2020, 2018 and 2013. Yeah there's a clamour alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

+1 for me, although it seems I'm a little late.

I think a safe place to discuss not having kids by choice would be great, while megathreads or whatever on the forums might seem like an idea, they often can move away from being helpful or even civil. Even here there seems to be some unhelpful posting.
    If that's the purpose, well this idea is on a hiding to nothing. Notwithstanding the fact that this forum, if it comes into being will end up being a bitter old ghost town, defined by a negative, relationships in online forums through pseudonyms are never going to replace quality in-person friendships.

Well, your repeated posting on this thread seems to be very much defined by a negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

+1

Everyone deserves a place to discuss how they feel no different to any other forum on here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭notsoyoungwan

I see I’m too late for the deadline but FWIW it’s a +1 from me. I’d love a forum like this.

There would be lots to discuss- eg in the last year I’ve had a tubal ligation. As a single, childfree woman I’ve spent years trying to get this done. A discussion on that could involve sharing info about surgeons willing to do it, costs, experiences, any post-op complications and the sheer and utter joy that comes with knowing it’s done! That’s only one example of a discussion. The argument that “I choose not to have children” would be the sum of the discussion is absurd and frankly pathetic.

I find it sad (but not surprising) that some people are vehemently against this. It speaks volumes to me about where society views those of us who are childfree by choice. Not worthy of acknowledging as a group in our own right, instead we should just tag onto other sections.

I really don’t get the argument that it would be a small forum- so what? There are multiple fora here that I’ve never once strayed into, as I know by the titles that they hold nothing of interest to me. But I wouldn’t oppose anyone’s right to have a forum for their interest area. What’s wrong with giving this one a shot? Give it a year, or even 6 months. If it’s a ghost town then, fair enough, but if it’s reasonably active, and as active as some of the many smaller fora here, then well and good.

I'm late too, but as the starter of the old thread years ago I'm happy to see this picked up again. I got slated at the time, but it looks like there's a bit more support now which is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,265 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

3 threads from 2020, 2018 and 2013. Yeah there's a clamour alright.

The internet won't run out of space if an extra forum is added.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

The internet won't run out of space if an extra forum is added.

No it won't. But one of the longstanding complaints received in feedback is that Boards is too fragmented, that there are too many forums and it's hard to find relevant information.

99% of the time the question here in the Forum Requests forum isn't whether the content is relevant to people or appropriate for the site, but rather, is there enough of that type of content over an extended period of time that it's worth collating together in a forum of its own, or whether existing forums/threads already meet that need.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,390 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

mike_ie wrote: »
    No it won't. But one of the longstanding complaints received in feedback is that Boards is too fragmented, that there are too many forums and it's hard to find relevant information.

Blame that on the menu redesign from a few years back, not an abundance of forums. It made it a pain in the hoop to browse through the place.

The old menu had a load more categories up top and you could browse through lists of forums extremely quickly. There were a lot more forums too.

Redesign came along and replaced all of that with just four categories up top (one of which being 'talk to', so it's three in reality) and stopped people browsing through random forums. Killed loads of them and a lot of the site in general.

Tokyo wrote: »

99% of the time the question here in the Forum Requests forum...... is there enough of that type of content over an extended period of time that it's worth collating together in a forum of its own.............

Should be an easy no so if that's the criteria :)

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Augeo wrote: »
    Should be an easy no so if that's the criteria :)

Give us more credit than that.

This forum suggestion has actually sparked off a bigger conversation with respect to how we should approach suggested forums in a way that’s less binary than a simple yes or no.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Late to the party, but FWIW if this is still being discussed by the Admins.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,464 ✭✭✭Inviere

Tokyo wrote: »
    This forum suggestion has actually sparked off a bigger conversation with respect to how we should approach suggested forums in a way that’s less binary than a simple yes or no.

Good to hear. I've always felt the criteria should be more relaxed, and more ideas tested out. If they work great, if they don't, fine, we tried. I even feel this forum should be deprecated really, and a more decentralised approach to forum creation be put in place.....it's kind of mad that the future forums of the site are decided here in a back water forum that barely anyone visits (unless they go out of their way to do so). Let each category be responsible for its own growth. Anway, nuff rambling!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 deestew

Also late to the party, but I hope still a valuable response when I say yes, yes, YES! +1

• Advertisement

Afternoon all.

We decided a while ago to experiment with new forums and in order to give plenty of exposure and support at the start of their lives we are placing them in a New Forums category (details here) where we will share and promote them as much as possible to the wider Boards audience. Hopefully this will expose them to a wider audience than they might have otherwise had and ensure that they are regularly used and active.

We have agreed to place a Childfree by Choice forum into New Forums to see how it does.

The intended home for the Childfree by Choice forum is in the Family category so some mods from that cat will look after it, there is a link to it from that area and eventually if/when it is a busy, active forum and fully approved, it'll be moved across there.

I'm pleased to say that you can now find the Childfree by Choice forum here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement