Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

My nephew was born in October last year and my sister said it was 18 degrees the day they came out of hospital!

Our twins were born mid October. Weather was beautiful that week. Blue sky and sun. I was amazed despite the sun streaming in the windows, every radiator in the coombe was roasting and every window open... the waste in hospitals is something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,060 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

appledrop wrote: »
    Yep same here in North Dublin. Planning on going to zoo + couldn't for past two days. We have actually had nicer weather in October! We often go to zoo in winter. I'm not fussy don't mind cold weather but can't stand wet + windy.

Terrible though that in summer can't get to zoo with bad weather.

Tuesday and Thursday look ok . We always get rain in summer you just have to work around it .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Brightening up nicely here in Castlebar. Touch of Autumn though,in a cool NW'LY breeze.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

brightning up in Dunshaughlin after a very wet 2 days. Feeling cool and more like Autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

It's breezy and hazily sunny here in Glasnevin. It's 15.7C and feels quite mild. There was 3.3mm rain recorded, mostly in the early hours of the morning. That seems to be all we got from that rainfall event that gave downpours in Galway/Roscommon by the time it came over here. There was less rainfall recorded here yesterday. So we seem to have escaped quite well from all the rain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

What's the view on tomorrow's thunder chances, think Meteorite mentioned it a couple of days ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Rainfall totals at all of the reporting Met Éireann stations for the first 10 days of August:

eKJZA5w.png

Pretty astonishing differences of the country, and over relatively small areas.

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Rainfall totals at all of the reporting Met reann stations for the first 10 days of August:

eKJZA5w.png

and plenty more rain to come over the next 3 weeks of August, bound to be some very large rainfall totals by the end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Rainfall totals at all of the reporting Met Éireann stations for the first 10 days of August:

eKJZA5w.png

Last two stations on the list are the most surprising.....how are they avoiding the monsoon??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Very short record history (only back to 2011) but that Athenry rainfall total already makes it the wettest on record there. Current wettest is August 2018 with 126.1mm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Neddyusa wrote: »
    Last two stations on the list are the most surprising.....how are they avoiding the monsoon??

Belmullet usually records the lowest rainfall out of the 4 official stations in Mayo, Newport is normally well out there by itself in terms of rainfall, but as for unofficial data Castlebar and probably parts of Achill usually eclipse it.

Looks like Castlebar will easily see its 11th 100mm plus August in a row.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Syren, has August been particularly dull in Cork? My lawn is really struggling the last few weeks and I'm pretty sure it's down to a lack of sunlight!

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Very short record history (only back to 2011) but that Athenry rainfall total already makes it the wettest on record there. Current wettest is August 2018 with 126.1mm.

Just looking at some of the records from Atherny's older site (Ag College), the wettest August was back in 1985, with a grand total of 273.7mm, with 2008's total of 224.4mm taking second place.

New Moon

Xenji wrote: »
    Belmullet usually records the lowest rainfall out of the 4 official stations in Mayo, Newport is normally well out there by itself in terms of rainfall, but as for unofficial data Castlebar and probably parts of Achill usually eclipse it.

Looks like Castlebar will easily see its 11th 100mm plus August in a row.

Same in Galway Xenji, I have noticed that Mace Hd, right on the exposed west coast seems to record less rainfall than Athenry on a very regular basis. Which is odd considering that Mace Hd's yearly and monthly averages are higher.

Regarding Castlebar, it does seem to be an unusually wet town. I have experienced this myself, but I remember years ago when I worked with a guy from Castlebar who claimed that my own town was desert like in comparison. And I don't think he was wrong, as I do believe we live in one of the driest areas of the west overall.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Another ****ty weekend weather wise. Horrendous rain Friday night and Saturday. It’s also noticeably cooler today 15/16 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭appledrop

It's weekends like this that should remind us how nice July really was in Dublin anyway. Feels so chilly out there today. At least there was finally no rain.

Hate the way August is usually always a let down. Makes the winter so long.

MidMan25 wrote: »
    Syren, has August been particularly dull in Cork? My lawn is really struggling the last few weeks and I'm pretty sure it's down to a lack of sunlight!
    Cork Airport has seen 96.6 hrs of sunshine since 21st July which is not that terrible really as it's an average of 4.6 hrs per day (compared to 16 consecutive dull days from 23 Dec 2018 to 7 Jan 2019). However, important to note that the station had only 1.9 hrs of sun from 21-25 July, I'm sure you will remember this well. Sunniest days include 10.1 hrs on 26 July, 12.1 hrs on 1 August and 10.5 hrs on 6 August.

August has seen 56.6 hrs of sunshine up to the 10th and the full monthly average (1981-2010) is 161.5 hrs so by the 15th, the station should expect (going by the average though of course there is lots and lots of year to year variation) at least 80.8 hrs. So this 56.6 hrs total looks to be close to average or maybe slightly below par. For the first 10 days, August 2011 had only 25.6 hrs in comparison!

I hold a bit of skepticism about sunshine stats however especially after these past few months. We have very few sunshine stations too which does not help the situation at all.
    Just looking at some of the records from Atherny's older site (Ag College), the wettest August was back in 1985, with a grand total of 273.7mm, with 2008's total of 224.4mm taking second place.
    No surprises there with August 1985 being the wettest. It had 82.5mm of 273.7mm in the first 10 days.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I think August has a good chance of verifying too provided the atmosphere remains stable and something unique or a disturbance does not occur, like a sudden change in ENSO or the North Atlantic SST profile intensifying to favour -NAO for example. This is the same with July to some extent too.

To summarise month by month:

June - A relatively cool and unsettled month but no significant deviations from average.

July - A warmer than average month with the potential for some very warm weather. Generally anticyclonic.

August - Much warmer than average but the ongoing risk of an unstable atmosphere resulting in variable rainfall.

As always, long range forecasting is unreliable and not to be taken seriously so this forecast is just for fun. Thanks for reading. We'll see how she goes.
    June and July forecasts were on point in my opinion although I was not expecting the brief warm interval at the end of June. Despite places seeing a wet July, this was mainly down to individual days' downpours and in fact, much of the month was anticyclonic.

August looks like it's going to be a big flop. It has been warmer than average so far with a fair bit of rain to say the least but with the Atlantic domination continuing, cooler than average conditions are expected this week into the next (going by latest NWP).

As I mentioned in the forecast, I went for a warm August which I was quite bullish on but I didn't exactly go for the dry signal that analogues were pin pointing towards. I went against this because of my gut feeling at the time saying that something in the atmosphere would throw a spanner in the works. In this case, it was two spanners.

1. First is the North Atlantic SST profile which has favoured -NAO throughout the summer (and I theorised this might be the case in the forecast but didn't have much evidence to prove this).

2. Second is the change in ENSO from El Nino to La Nina. There is a rumour that goes around about a sudden change of ENSO impacting the summer season and such a change is usually negative for warm/dry weather in Ireland. I am not too sure on the science behind it though. Currently, the equatorial Pacific is in a neutral state but cool SSTs have developed over the past few months to the east and have expanded over time. Whilst this is not a La Nina signature (yet), the SSTs are looking to go towards the colder side of neutral which is quite a big change from the spring and early summer when the weak El Nino from 2018-19 just seemed to hang on.

So August looks like being a fail from my forecast but ah well, you win some, you lose some. That's the way the cookie crumbles.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,571 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Just cycled home from the pub. It's freezing out. On the 11th of August! We must have the worst summer in the Northern Hemisphere barring a handful of other places.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭appledrop

Just cycled home from the pub. It's freezing out. On the 11th of August! We must have the worst summer in the Northern Hemisphere barring a handful of other places.

We definitely do. Everywhere else this summer had highest ever records summer temperatures even Greenland which is covered in ice for most of the year.

Of course good old Ireland went against the grain as usually!

• Advertisement

appledrop wrote: »
    We definitely do. Everywhere else this summer had highest ever records summer temperatures even Greenland which is covered in ice for most of the year.

Of course good old Ireland went against the grain as usually!

We had record breaking maxima last summer, and record breaking minima this summer. It has also been the warmest early part of August since 2004, with current mean maxima running above 20c at a high % of stations so far this month.

I say enough! My thoughts are well and truly focused on the coming autumn and winter now. Can't wait for the shorter days, the cooler nights and the howls of the autumn wind.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

I say enough! My thoughts are well and truly focused on the coming autumn and winter now. Can't wait for the shorter days, the cooler nights and the howls of the autumn wind.
    You wouldn't be saying that if you had to calve cows out in it :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭ Dwayne Brief Accelerator

Lovely cold, fresh air out tonight. Very refreshing. I hope Monday is as wet as they forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭pad199207

8.3c can feel the chill this morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

pad199207 wrote: »
    8.3c can feel the chill this morning

Baltinglass TII site reported 4.5c at 440am
    Some spots might have had a ground frost :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Scotland, north of England certainly worse than Ireland. East of Ireland would be the same as much of UK with the exception of the south east of England

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

First morning I felt a chill in the car on the way to work - 11 degrees according to my yaris :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭Comhrá

leahyl wrote: »
    First morning I felt a chill in the car on the way to work - 11 degrees according to my yaris :D

Woke at 6am and my thoughts turned to where did I put the winter duvet back in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭pad199207

Showers already in Kildare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

Looks like more rain forecast for this week. I can't remember an August that has been as bad as this.

Advertisement