Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handwriting decipher thread *must post link to full page*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

Help! "Anne Daughter of Ptk XXXXX and Mary Hoey" - can anyone make out Patrick's surname?

lusk-17081803.png

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Perhaps could be Nowlan? Difficult to read.

montgo wrote: »
    Perhaps could be Nowlan? Difficult to read.

Perfect. I was hoping to find the RootsIreland transcription that corresponded as I'm manually looking at sponsors and mothers name and wanted their second opinion (since you can't search either of those names on their databases...). They were working off the original books so after a while to me everything looks like "Brunkard" but they can be more correct.

Thank you for your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

In looking for a marriage, I found the groom's name at an appropriate date, but instead of listing a marriage it just says "Certificate to (groom's name)."

What does that mean?

Has anyone else noticed that Roots Ireland may have had a different/copy of some of the records or else the records were easier to decipher when their transcriptions were done?

Look at the last baptism record for June 1871.

Roots have the sponsors as John McCarthy & Catherine O'Meara (Kate Mara) and I'm confident that those names are correct

I have seen other instances where it is impossible to decipher a name but yet Roots apparently have the correct name.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I think Roots were looking at the original books rather than just the scans.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Thx, Hermy. Surely, the original Parish registers are still held by the parish priests locally. I had thought that the transcriptions were done back in the 70s/80s directly from the films.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

No, they were done from the original books in the 70s/80s.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Thanks. Were the Parish registers sent to a central location (each Diocese) or done locally?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

RGM wrote: »
    In looking for a marriage, I found the groom's name at an appropriate date, but instead of listing a marriage it just says "Certificate to (groom's name)."

What does that mean?
    Do you know if it was the groom's home parish?

My guess is that the marriage took place elsewhere, and the record was simply to have a record in the parish that he was married (and thus not free to marry somebody else).

• Advertisement

Thanks. Were the Parish registers sent to a central location (each Diocese) or done locally?

I'm not 100% but I think they were done individually, without any links between separate groups.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

Each parish kept it's own registers, usually at the parish church. Any recordable event taking place in Chapels of ease of the parish should also have been noted in this. Sometimes registers turn up for chapels of ease. I've heard the some priests noted baptisms and marriage in notebooks and even scraps of paper and transferred the details these to the registers later.

Church of England parishes in England and presumably Wales did send copies of register details to the Diocese, which are often available as what's referred to as Bishop's transcripts, which can be useful where there are gaps in records etc. As far as I know the Church of Ireland didn't do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 cat_r

This thread may get busier 😃 John Grenham has a link to it in his column in today's Irish Times

www. irishtimes.com/culture/heritage/irish-roots-reactions-to-the-national-library-s-parish-registers-site-1.2291108
    (remove the space after www)

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭The Kurgan

Have been looking for the Baptism record of an Anastasia Evoy / Anty Evoy (shorthand) in Taghmon Parish and came across the following Baptism December 1823.
    Childs name looks to be Anastasia Evoy , can anyone with an eagle eye have a shot at the Parents Names. ??

356539.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Forenames look like Mathaü and Maria.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Looks like Maria and Matthew alright. Would it be possible to provide a direct link to the page on the NLI site so that we could work with the original page, rather than an image?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I also see Matthew (80% confident) and Maria (90%). Maria's surname might be Lamb.

[The date is 15 Sept.]

Could be Nathan for the father's name as well. I agree about Maria.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭The Kurgan

@Kildarefan sorry I should've of posted original link so you can compare other lettering ..oops :o
    Initially I thought Mathew but comparing to other names/lettering in the register , the P.P seems to over emphasize his a's as if in Bold , his e's seem to loop at the end.

Or maybe I've just been looking at it too long!

Here's the original link , It's the second line on the first page
    http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634125#page/114/mode/1up

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MaryLee55

The Facebook Group "Deciphering Genealogy Script" offers additional help to accurately decipher genealogy documents. Find them in the Facebook Search Bar.

• Advertisement

I've found an earlier baptism in the same parish for what looks like Mariam Gray/Evoy with parents Mathew Evoy/Gray and Alicia Farel [?] who may be related; I managed to lose the page unfortunately. It looks like your Anastasia's sponsors surnames were Prendergast and Cullen.

Some excerpts from Taghmon parish register for Evoy/Gray:

This thread made it on to the Irish Times website!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Always felt the Master was looking over my shoulder! :D

Two versions of the same thing. Anyone have any idea what the note in latin is?

If it's any help it looks like this guy was baptised twice (one RC and one COI).

hmm.png

hmm2.png

Two versions of the same thing. Anyone have any idea what the note in latin is?

If it's any help it looks like this guy was baptised twice (one RC and one COI).

hmm.png

hmm2.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

Pater acatholicus conditionate baptizatus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

Pater = father

acatholicus = non-Catholic

conditionate = not sure about this, but it could be conditionally

baptizatus = baptised

I'm only an amateur at this, so I'm sure other posters will be able to provide more information than I can. Please other posters, if I am wrong, correct me. It's the only way to learn.

Best of luck ceannrua.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

A conditional baptism is one done where its believed the child may already have a valid baptism - lost records or uncertainty over whether its 'acceptable'. Most of the christian churches accept each others baptisms, but this is still done to this day occasionally. If that note is on the later one by date I'd be pretty certain that's what it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

Do you know if it was the groom's home parish?

My guess is that the marriage took place elsewhere, and the record was simply to have a record in the parish that he was married (and thus not free to marry somebody else).

A good thought.

Unfortunately this is the only mention I've been able to find of this marriage anywhere, including the civil index.

The couple are Patrick Hebron and Honor Meehan. I believe Honor was from Dunmore, Galway. Patrick was born in Roscommon. Their children were born in the parish of Kiltullagh, Roscommon, the first baptism I've found being from 1881. The possible marriage entry I found is in the Kiltulla register on 23 Aug 1880 and just says "Certificate to P. Hebron Granlahan" (the correct townland). But the Dunmore register doesn't go to 1880 on the NLI site and rootsireland comes up empty. And as I said, I've had no luck with the civil index.

Advertisement