Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cams, what to get and where to get it (Q&A only)

• 23-11-2012 8:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

Can anyone recommend me one?

Are they easy to install?

Mod note - this technical thread is for three things only:
    acquirement, installation and operation of dash cams.
    Do not post your dash videos or argue over small stuff.

Only post if you are committed to buying and have questions, general chat will be removed.

Do you think this thread is a good idea? 459 votes

Yes
    10% 48 votes
    No
    89% 411 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

See here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Jack breen

dgt wrote: »

I have asked on that thread allready but every poster was busy bickering at each other. I need something with a 6mp camera and GPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Jack breen wrote: »
    I have asked on that thread allready but every poster was busy bickering at each other. I need something with a 6mp camera and GPS.

I already proposed to split those thread for technical one which dashcam to buy, and other one for showing video recordings from dashcam with insteresing road situations.
    Hope this is a good start of a new thread if mods allow us for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Jack breen

CiniO wrote: »
    I already proposed to split those thread for technical one which dashcam to buy, and other one for showing video recordings from dashcam with insteresing road situations.
    Hope this is a good start of a new thread if mods allow us for that.

Thanks. I have looked at a good few on Dealextreme.com, I am not sure of the quality though.

If they come with a cigarette lighter plug is it possible to wire them to the roof lights as opposed to having wires all over the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I've got this.

I also have it's predecessor (smartcam 1).
    It's not perfect but it's allright.

Advantages :
    - great night recordings,
    - fair quality of picture

Disadvantages:
    - horrendous amount of media capasity needed for recordings (8Gb card allows for 1h recording at 720p)

Smartcam 1 was nearly twice cheaper, and offered the same except from full-hd quality, which I'm not using anyway (720p is enough). It also used a bit less space for files. I needed another one so I bought smartcam2, but I managed to buy it for half the current price.
    I don't think I would pay current price for it, know what it is and how it works.

However though I'm not sure if there's much choice on the market with that price range.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

Thanks CiniO. That first one has great picture quality, think I might get it. I have a 24gb SD card so I should get a couple of hours from that.

That other thread is a bit of a pain alright, you have to wade through a lot of crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

OP, after a fair bit of research,( with a lot of the legwork already done by Cormie!) I bought one of these a few months ago;

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/251016576631

along with a 32GB SD card from Amazon.

I've got to say I'm very happy with it!

PS. It's ridiculously easy to install and the software that you run it on is very user friendly.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Anybody any recommendations for a dashcam? Was looking around on eBay and some are cheap, and other more expensive for what appears to be very similar spec.

I'm just looking for something tidy that does the job. Handy for insurance purposes. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭TGi666

have you a budget in mind?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I'd prefer not to break the bank.. I was offered a Smartcam 2 yesterday on eBay and it was over 100euro including delivery from the UK. Just thought it was a bit on the pricey side!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭TGi666

here is a post from another thread yesterday
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/smartcamdirect?_fcid=99&_localstpos=&_sid=505812804&_stpos=&gbr=1

I got one of the dash cams off this company. Some yoke. Easy to use and install and great quality. A tad pricey though as there are a few cheaper options but BEWARE! Many dash cams (Especially ebay ones) tend to be knock offs of other ones on the market so make sure if you buy one that it is genuine. And that it really does have the quality it says it does. Many on Ebay boast 1080 but are actually 720 at best. They also boast night vision... pfffft! It's actually just a few LED's that shine like a torch on your windscreen and blind the camera

Just a thought
    the link might be helpful to see what the original cost of the smartcam you were offered was

TGi666 wrote: »
    here is a post from another thread yesterday

the link might be helpful to see what the original cost of the smartcam you were offered was

Same one, he wouldn't do much on the price.

randy hickey; Looks nice but very pricey!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

so does anyone with one have any footage of the quality of the ones they use?
    or how much it covers if its placed tight to the windscreen say

• Registered Users Posts: 13,463 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Actually thinking about the same cam.

Found one slightly cheaper - http://www.ebay.ie/itm/170933879876

Just 1 more question - have you been charged extra (customs, VAT, etc)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Sully wrote: »
    I'd prefer not to break the bank.. I was offered a Smartcam 2 yesterday on eBay and it was over 100euro including delivery from the UK. Just thought it was a bit on the pricey side!

I bought a cheap one on ebay for 30 euro, utter pile of ****e, terrible video quality and beyond useless in anything other than perfect light.

Picked up a used SmartCam2 on adverts.ie for €80 delivered including SD card. I would highly recommend it.

I bought a cheap one on ebay for 30 euro, utter pile of ****e, terrible video quality and beyond useless in anything other than perfect light.

Picked up a used SmartCam2 on adverts.ie for €80 delivered including SD card. I would highly recommend it.

Thanks, I contacted the seller again to see if I can negotiate anything with him.

Got the Smartcam2 from another UK Seller. Just under €100 incl. delivery. Saved about £10GBP by this new "Make an Offer" idea on eBay.

Sully wrote: »
    Got the Smartcam2 from another UK Seller. Just under €100 incl. delivery. Saved about £10GBP by this new "Make an Offer" idea on eBay.

It's the best at that price range IMO, a word of caution, the file sizes are huge, grab a 32GB SD card, 16GB is not enough as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

I just ordered a car camera mount/charging cradle for my Samsung Galaxy S3 and plan to use that as a dashcam/charging station/GPS. Got it from eBay for less than €5.
    There are plenty of free/paid dashcam apps where you can select a multitude of options before recording. Plenty of videos on Youtube showing some good quality footage.

Anyone tried this yet?

• Advertisement

I just ordered a car camera mount/charging cradle for my Samsung Galaxy S3 and plan to use that as a dashcam/charging station/GPS. Got it from eBay for less than €5.
    There are plenty of free/paid dashcam apps where you can select a multitude of options before recording. Plenty of videos on Youtube showing some good quality footage.

Anyone tried this yet?

Had a similar setup with previous phones but I genuinely noticed a significant impact on battery life over the year or so that I had the phone, YMMV.

I used a Tetrax holder and an iPhone 4S, camera quality would obviously be better with the Samsung, although I'd say they'd suffer equally in terms of battery charge/ discharge cycles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Had a similar setup with previous phones but I genuinely noticed a significant impact on battery life over the year or so that I had the phone, YMMV.

I used a Tetrax holder and an iPhone 4S, camera quality would obviously be better with the Samsung, although I'd say they'd suffer equally in terms of battery charge/ discharge cycles.

It would be on charge while operating for 40-80 mins driving a day so it wouldn't be ideal but I suppose one of the best things about these phones are the removable batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Lawless2k12

It's the best at that price range IMO, a word of caution, the file sizes are huge, grab a 32GB SD card, 16GB is not enough as far as I'm concerned.

I agree here! Mine can do around 2 to 2 and a half hours recording on the 32GB card. I can get 4 hours out of the WVGA mode (Think that's what it's called... can't remember)

It's a great camera as the night mode actually works, video is v.good quality, sound is v.good as well and it's easy to fit especially since the mounting cup is impossible to pull off the window it's up. Think I paid around €130 inc. 32GB card... give or take a few quid

It would be on charge while operating for 40-80 mins driving a day so it wouldn't be ideal but I suppose one of the best things about these phones are the removable batteries.

+1

Not really an option with Apple devices without going through Apple themselves so maybe not an issue for you.

Sample video from my SmartCam 2 HD
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hzMQc42UZU
    Youtube impacts on the quality when uploading, but still not bad.
    Original 5 minute file is 700MB +

joujoujou wrote: »
    Actually thinking about the same cam.

Found one slightly cheaper - http://www.ebay.ie/itm/170933879876

Just 1 more question - have you been charged extra (customs, VAT, etc)?

PM sent!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Just to remember, there are two types of dash-cam.

For about €20 or a bit more you get a cam that just records video
    Example here http://www.pearl.de/a-PX1295-5443.shtml

From about €70 or more you get a version that has GPS and will place you on Google Maps with time, date and speed, this type often also have G sensors which record and sudden changes in movement, like braking very hard, hitting a pothole or being hit by another vehicle.
    Example herehttp://www.amazon.com/2-7-inch-degrees-camera-recorder-logger/dp/B007PNZBRM/ref=pd_sim_sbs_p_1

Some also have LED's for a bit of night vision as the light from headlights is not effective.

niloc1951 wrote: »

Some also have LED's for a bit of night vision as the light from headlights is not effective.

I presume you are referring to infra red light? Won't that just reflect off the windscreen?

http://youtu.be/zKLuyuEijJQ
    Wee bit of footage from my own cam. Not too shabby :P

Your one appears to be infected with the poor taste in music bug as well.

;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Lawless2k12

Your one appears to be infected with the poor taste in music bug as well.

;-)

Must get back to the seller about this! Selling dash cams that have auto tuned terrible music.... B*stards...... :o

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement