Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Handwriting decipher thread *must post link to full page*

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Jos (short for Joseph) Meehan?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

Hermy wrote: »
    Jos (short for Joseph) Meehan?

Agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭VicWynne

Thanks Hermy & BowWow. That disproves what I was hoping - But I could see both Jos for Jospeh, and Tos for Tomas/Thomas... I was hoping for the latter. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭VirginiaB

It looks like 1 Uxbridge to me, as in a street address, 1 Uxbridge Street. There was an Uxbridge Street in Dublin--maybe still is?--according to Google.

What a way to die--'dentition convulsions' for a baby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 wicklow_hills

Remarks field in Royal Navy records. From approx 1915. It’s from the service record of one of my ancestors. His ship was sunk on the last day of WWI. Keen to see what it says... as far as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 20 wicklow_hills

Remarks field in Royal Navy records. From approx 1915. It’s from the service record of one of my ancestors. His ship was sunk on the last day of WWI. Keen to see what it says... as far as possible

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

VirginiaB wrote: »
    It looks like 1 Uxbridge to me, as in a street address, 1 Uxbridge Street. There was an Uxbridge Street in Dublin--maybe still is?--according to Google.

What a way to die--'dentition convulsions' for a baby.

Uxbridge was the space now occupied by The Kiln apartments. You can see it on the old map layers on the OSI site, near Beaver Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

NP10/373OCS Cannot count
    Merchant Service for
    ----Badger
    10/…..Gra for rais’g Emerald
    NP3926/15 Wounded in
    Action Dardanelles Aden B—
    Missing – 13/7/16
    RMS

I’d infer that he served on a ship named Badger but this was disallowed. Also RMS in the last line would suggest Royal Mail Ship

WicklowHills - please link to the full page if possible.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

NP10/373OCS Cannot count
    Merchant Service for
    ----Badger
    10/…..Gra for rais’g Emerald
    NP3926/15 Wounded in
    Action Dardanelles Aden B—
    Missing – 13/7/16
    RMS

I’d infer that he served on a ship named Badger but this was disallowed. Also RMS in the last line would suggest Royal Mail Ship

I think what it might be is 'Cannot count Merchant Service for GC Badge', meaning Good Conduct Badge.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,405 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Not sure if removing some dust helps or hinders the effort... I hesitate removing much more for fear of taking out some of the letters.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1864/03612/2332827.pdf

Would appreciate suggestions as to the maiden name of Mary Leddy's mother Cath. (entry 23).

spurious wrote: »
    https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1864/03612/2332827.pdf

Would appreciate suggestions as to the maiden name of Mary Leddy's mother Cath. (entry 23).

Dreadful writing..

Meade, Macken...

It's terrible isn't it? Some districts have people with beautiful writing and then there is this sort of stuff.

Meath?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 13,405 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Mack - MacN - could it possibly be an abbreviation for McNamara?

I think about all I can say for sure at the moment is it might be Ma* or Me*.
    It does look like a double L at one stage, but sure it could be anything really.

And the father - Daniel or possibly David I think.

Baptism on 8th. April 1864 in Newmarket-on-Fergus in Catholic Church records for Mary, daughter of Daniel Leddy and Catherine Mack. Sponsor - Joan Mack.

Great stuff BowWow. Thanks.

• Advertisement

Great stuff BowWow. Thanks.

No problem spurious - you've helped me out on a number of occasions..

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

BowWow wrote: »
    No problem spurious - you've helped me out on a number of occasions..

Take a Bow, Wow

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Griffinx

Could anyone help here please with the marriage of James Nolan and Mary Cantwell third from the bottom. I can't make out any of the addresses.. thanks

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

For John I think it's Johnston Court. I'll check the rest again.

Maria - 1(?)4(?)7 Gt. Britain Street (now Parnell St)

Witnesses South Circular Road and Bray.

**edit it looks to me like Newtown, Queen's Co. for her parents' address.

I think the Groom's parents are dead. "Mortui? Latin for dead?
    Johnston's court - off Grafton Street.
    Newtown, Queens Co.
    147 Great Brittan Street.
    South Circular Road.
    Bray.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Griffinx

Maria - 1(?)4(?)7 Gt. Britain Street (now Parnell St)

Witnesses South Circular Road and Bray.

**edit it looks to me like Newtown, Queen's Co. for her parents' address.

Bingo...I had known there was a connection to Crettyard, Co. Carlow but couldn't pin it down for over a year. Newtown now proves this as its the same parish...thank you very much to you and bowwow for taking me out of my misery :)

Cheers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

111mnt5.png

where it says domestic servant a word has been added between. Cant make it out.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai002553873/

Cook?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Cook?

Thanks, i think you are right.

Advertisement