Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What'll we do with our dead?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Cremate my body, snappy 15 minute powerpoint presentation detailing my life and off to a bar to get drunk.

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Gravelly wrote: »
    Hard enough to come by a pack of wolves in this part of the world though.
    Badgers maybe?

I'm sure I won't be picky at the time ;)

Might be a bit easier for the family to take too. The mother is half badger on her father's side so she'd be delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Build a big catapult and launch my corpse at my enemies.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,346 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Whatever is the most environmental way. Last I heard it was a form of freeze drying. Cremation is pretty bad for the environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,414 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Cremation for myself and the family and ashes thrown off Cliffs of Moher etc.
    No mass for myself or any of that nonsense.
    Then again I'll be dead so it won't be as if I care anymore if someone decides to hell with him and his last wishes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,083 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Blazer wrote: »
    No mass for myself or any of that nonsense.
    Then again I'll be dead so it won't be as if I care anymore if someone decides to hell with him and his last wishes.

I think you need to be 3 miles out to legally scatter ashes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Burn them.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

....... wrote: »
    Must be common enough that it warrants guidelines from the government department though?
    I expect if you spoke to a funeral home in a seaside town, they'd probably have done one or at least be familiar with it.
    blade1 wrote: »
    I think you need to be 3 miles out to legally scatter ashes.
    Even if that is the case, who's going to know?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Cremation for myself and the family and ashes thrown off Cliffs of Moher

the_big_lebowski_coen_brothers-4.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 12,083 ✭✭✭✭blade1

seamus wrote: »

Even if that is the case, who's going to know?

Classy!
    I'd like to be cremated but I'd prefer it to be above board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Yukk.... bits of dead ash human ? there is a reason for the 3 mile limit..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Aegir wrote: »
    Breaking news:

A two seat Cessna has crashed in a cemetery in Kerry.

A Garda spokesperson has said 26 bodies have been recovered so far, but more are expected as digging goes on in to the night.
    UPDATE: It seems that the engine fell off the Cessna and landed on the road outside the cemetery. It created a huge hole in the road.
    Local Gardai are looking into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Anyone interested in funerals, funeral homes, preparing bodies, burial laws etc then I'd highly recommend following Ask a Mortician on YouTube.

Just one of her clips, she's brilliant and very funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Yeah I've watched her before, she's really good.

Love getting an insight into what goes on in the funeral business. Some of the things they see. :eek:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Soylent green for the masses...

...cremation and ashes scattered for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,197 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Reanimate the bodies and use them to sort trolleys at Tescos

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,324 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I was in Palmerstown Cemetery over Christmas. I was stunned by the amount of flowers, decorations, wreaths and other paraphernalia that adorns the graves there. There must be huge money going into it. One extended family spends €5k a year with the local florist for flowers and other junk for the graves. This wouldn't be a family with loads of spare cash.

It really seemed to be a 'keeping up with the Jones's' scenario, with the traveler graves being the most ostentatious of the lot.

If only they looked after their living relatives so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,414 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Graces7 wrote: »

Yukk.... bits of dead ash human ? there is a reason for the 3 mile limit..

I never knew about that...we learn something new every day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I was in Palmerstown Cemetery over Christmas. I was stunned by the amount of flowers, decorations, wreaths and other paraphernalia that adorns the graves there. There must be huge money going into it. One extended family spends €5k a year with the local florist for flowers and other junk for the graves. This wouldn't be a family with loads of spare cash.

It really seemed to be a 'keeping up with the Jones's' scenario, with the traveler graves being the most ostentatious of the lot.

If only they looked after their living relatives so well.

It is an act of deep respect . Not a keeping up with anyone either

I was at Burrishoole one day before a big festival and met a lady who was cleaning and adorning a grave, " I have three t o visit"

PS it is not " junk"...

I was at Burrishoole one day before a big festival and met a lady who was cleaning and adorning a grave, " I have three t o visit"

PS it is not " junk"...
    Have you seen the junk in Palmerstown?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

My da was cremated and Stena Ferries brought us out to scatter his ashes. Over in the UK, you can rent your burial plot for 60 years, you get buried in a cardboard coffin so by the time the 60 years is up, there's feck all of you left when the next one gets popped in in top of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Anyone who is interested in how cremation actually happens, this video is worth a watch.
    Somebody mentioned earlier about remains not actually turning into 'fine ash' while being cremated. No, they don't. The remains are then put into why they call a 'pulveriser'. The video shows this happening, so don't say you haven't been warned!

WARNING: video shows actual cremation and pulverising (the word they use) of the remains.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEOqq3z2rbc

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

burn them. burn them all

• Registered Users Posts: 30,149 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I think I'd like to be buried mainly because I don't like the idea of being burnt and I hate dragging people to the crematorium but it's really up to my family.
    If I die young and my mother is alive she'd like having a grave to visit and put candles/flowers on. So that would keep her happy.

If I die young and my mother is alive she'd like having a grave to visit and put candles/flowers on. So that would keep her happy.

While I understand the tradition, this can be taken to an unhealthy extent.

I know of two cases of parents who visit the graves of their adult child daily. While I can't bear to even contemplate the unimaginable pain of of losing a child, I'm not sure that this level of devotion is healthy and compatible with getting on with life.

Maybe she'd be better off visiting her favourite beach or mountain top or forest walk to stay close?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,149 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

While I understand the tradition, this can be taken to an unhealthy extent.

I know of two cases of parents who visit the graves of their adult child daily. While I can't bear to even contemplate the unimaginable pain of of losing a child, I'm not sure that this level of devotion is healthy and compatible with getting on with life.

Maybe she'd be better off visiting her favourite beach or mountain top or forest walk to stay close?

I can understand where your coming from.
    I don't think she'd be one to do it daily from what I know of her.
    I know my mother and what she'd like and I know she'd far prefer for me to be be buried than scattered some where.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

PS it is not " junk"...

some people take it a bit far. I've seen bottles of beer, a Christmas tree and even a soggy selection box on graves over the last week. It's obviously a comfort thing but I don't get it and it can get a bit ridiculous.

Personally I'm planning on being cremated and having my ashes scattered in a place close to my heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,295 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Hammer89 wrote: »
    Let's call a spade a spade: graveyards won't last, will they? We're a godless generation, us Milennials. Has there ever been another generation as detached from religion as us? Potentially not, and if that's the case, which it might well be, then how is this not going to have a knock-on effect for traditional, Christian burials?

Funeral and burial preferences have changed quite a lot. There was a time when cremation was a bit bold in the eyes of the church, a bit un-Christian-like, but now 33% of dead people are opting for this.This highlights a detachment even in non-Millenials, so how different could the landscape be in 40 or 50 years, when it's our time to go?

I appreciate that it's popular for the ashes of deceased people to be buried in graveyards to this day, but there's a chance we'll move further away from this in time, as people grow less sentimental over the idea of being buried with their loved ones. It's a lovely idea and I've nothing wrong with it obviously, but I don't think my generation will draw the same warmth and solace from it as our parents, grandparents and great-grandparents.

Who knows lads, but what I do know - or at least think - is that graveyards are f*cked. I'm not sure they'll physically go anywhere, but I do think the business side of them will suffer in the long run.

Your point may well be a good one but frankly I’m more concerned that the dead are taking part in polls.

Although I wouldn’t be surprised if the likes of the Healys-Rae have a few voters in the afterlife.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

eviltwin wrote: »
    some people take it a bit far. I've seen bottles of beer, a Christmas tree and even a soggy selection box on graves over the last week. It's obviously a comfort thing but I don't get it and it can get a bit ridiculous.

Even if some people can't understand it, I don't think we should judge people on how they grieve.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Having rewatched it over the weekend Id like a San Junipero "pass over" and then do what ye like with the mortal remains, cos Id be living it up forever in the cloud.

Heaven truly is a place on Earth.

Advertisement