Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French author, 50, says he's incapable of loving a woman of 50

Comments

Same thing that goes on in most mens heads. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/15/style/dating-apps-online-men-women-age.html

We all know some men who will speak a good game about equality and attraction but when acting as anonymous individuals on a dating site they'll prefer younger women nearly every time.

When aspiration and expectation collide with reality.

What they prefer, and what they can attract are often rather different. Most people have unrealistic expectations when talking about their ideal partner, to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Same thing that goes on in most mens heads. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/15/style/dating-apps-online-men-women-age.html

We all know some men who will speak a good game about equality and attraction but when acting as anonymous individuals on a dating site they'll prefer younger women nearly every time.

I think if you're talking purely sexual then looks matter more than anything and that goes for women too. Long term though it's not that important, if you plan on building a life with someone there are higher priorities than what they look like naked.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Ignoring the lazy ad hominem: it's not about thinking it would happen, it would happen, and it wouldn't be just women that would say it either, there would be plenty of men that would have a go at any guy that suggested that there was something wrong with an older woman saying she preferred younger guys... and rightly so too, don't see what's wrong with either gender having a preference for younger men or women.

Ah here. It's hardly an ad hominum to say you seem to have your chip on your shoulder about an issue that seems to have gotten you het up. That's the very definition of having a chip on one's shoulder.

Anyway no, that's not what I think would happen. I'd say the reaction would be much the same.

Older men have regularly been celebrated for chasing after young women and they still are fairly regularly.

I think you're seeing what you want to see here, letting your prejudices get in the way of objectivity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

Rory28 wrote: »
    lol

I'm pretty sure you worked out that was a typo from previous posts ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Didn't realise women have a hive mind.

On this issue it would seem they do

The average marriage across almost all of the western world consists of a woman approximately 2-3 years younger than the man

Regional singulate mean age of marriage (SMAM) difference between males and females
    Eastern Europe 3.1 yrs
    Northern Europe 2.3 yrs
    Southern Europe 3.3 yrs
    Western Europe 2.7 yrs
    Caribbean 2.9 yrs
    Central America 2.5 yrs
    South America 2.9 yrs
    Northern America 2.3 yrs
    Australia/New Zealand 2.2 yrs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_disparity_in_sexual_relationships

Anyway you dont even need statistics, look around you you just never see a 50 year old man dating a 25 year old under normal circumstances ever, men who think theyll have 25 year olds interested in them at that age have their head in the clouds

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

eviltwin wrote: »
    I think if you're talking purely sexual then looks matter more than anything and that goes for women too. Long term though it's not that important, if you plan on building a life with someone there are higher priorities than what they look like naked.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......

tenor.gif

I'm gonna disagree there. :) It's still there on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

I'm pretty sure you worked out that was a typo from previous posts ðŸ˜

hey now you called me out on a typo. Freudian slip perhaps? :p

I'm only messin

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Just because they don't couple up doesn't mean they aren't shagging.
    The average 50 year old Irish man could have the pick of the litter if he walked into coppers on freshers night Im sure yeh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

Arghus wrote: »
    In some other quotes he acknowledges that he wouldn't consider himself to be a catch either.

I agree with him on that. I just googled him and he is odd looking to me.

Sure the place is just littered with couples like that. Everywhere they are. Literally clogging up the streets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Mods endorsing posts which attack a user personally now.

Have you read the charter?
    Oh bollocks to that, I can read posts. Personal abuse, get out of it.

And stop trying to mod the forum yourself while you're at it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Prefer the cougars myself

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Ah here. It's hardly an ad hominum to say you seem to have your chip on your shoulder about an issue...

Nope, you didn't say that I had a chip on my shoulder about the issue (as you're now claiming). You said I had a chip on my shoulder about women. Here's the quote:
    You've really got a chip on your shoulder about women....

And if that is not attacking a poster and not the post, then I don't know what is.
    ..an issue that seems to have gotten you het up. That's the very definition of having a chip on one's shoulder.

I'm not 'het up'. I just have an opinion you don't agree with. Maybe just argue it next time rather than posting insults.
    Anyway no, that's not what I think would happen. I'd say the reaction would be much the same.

Prove it then. Show us an example of a woman getting a similar reaction to the chap referenced in the OP.
    I think you're seeing what you want to see here, letting your prejudices get in the way of objectivity.

Nope, not at all. In fact it's something of a cliche at this stage of men being told they are intimated by powerful successful women.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Fantastic.

Let the battle to the mutliquote death begin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

I'm 41. I can certainly understand where he's coming from.

He's simply expressed his preference.

I wonder if he would have received the same reaction if he were anything other than a straight white middle aged man.

Arghus wrote: »
    You gotta love how you saw an opportunity for some wimmin bashing in even this subject.

"Wimmin bashing"? Strange given that some women thanked the post. Maybe you just misunderstood the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

"Wimmin bashing"? Strange given that some women thanked the post. Maybe you just misunderstood the point.

We'll agree to disagree.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I'm not 'het up'. I just have an opinion you don't agree with. Maybe just argue it next time rather than posting insults.

Disagreeing with you isn't insulting you.

I'll leave it there, since you're clearly not for turning, in the shameful knowledge that we've both already contributed to the ****storm of publicity this chap clearly hoping for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

I'm 46 and his comments don't bother me. I look after myself, feel young, never had children (personal choice) and am often mistaken for much younger. I'd say my body is in great shape and certainly don't feel invisible.

As a 25 yo would I be attracted to a 50-year-old man? Never.

We clearly weren't meant to be 😂

Pics or GTFO 😀😀😀

• Registered Users Posts: 8,077 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Funny how people keep bringing up Trump and melania as an example of an older man with a hot way out of his league younger wife. Sure she's almost 50 herself. Suppose he'll be due an upgrade as soon as she hits the big 5-0 as she'll be consigned to the scrap heap immediately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭DS86DS

He's right. Good on him if in his 50s he can get a 25 year old beauty.

Who wants a nagging Aul wan when you can get a woman in her prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

OldRio wrote: »
    And what about the Multi millionaire 50 year old French Author?

But she’s well past 25, 46 to be exact so I don’t see how she can make that assumption at this late stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

DS86DS wrote: »
    He's right. Good on him if in his 50s he can get a 25 year old beauty.

You're only as old as the woman you feel.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

DS86DS wrote: »
    25 year olds can nag too. In the top three of best figures I've observed in the nip one was 40 and there are an awful lot of out of shape 20 odd year olds.

Meh, in shock news men tend to prefer younger women, women tend to prefer taller more successful men. In other news water is wet.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Funny how people keep bringing up Trump and melania as an example of an older man with a hot way out of his league younger wife. Sure she's almost 50 herself. Suppose he'll be due an upgrade as soon as she hits the big 5-0 as she'll be consigned to the scrap heap immediately.
    In fairness his Orangeness is in his 70's.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Disagreeing with you isn't insulting you.

Of course and I have no issue with you disagreeing with me, just with your ad hominem remark.
    I'll leave it there, since you're clearly not for turning...

Why would I be? So you're not going to provide an example of a woman getting lambasted in a similar fashion for saying she likes younger men? Ah well, in that case I'm going to have take that as you conceding you were wrong :)

Anyway, moving on.... see on GMTV his comments were even called "disgusting".

https://twitter.com/GMB/status/1082549568645017601

Utter nonsense and there's no way an older woman in the public eye making similar comments about young guys would receive the same sort of scorn.

By the way, I vehemently disagree with him... but they're his preferences and so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Of course and I have no issue with you disagreeing with me, just with your ad hominem remark.

So you're not going to provide an example of a woman getting lambasted in a similar fashion for saying she likes younger men? Ah well, in that case I'm going to have take that as you conceding you were wrong :)

Utter nonsense and there's no way an older woman in the public eye making similar comments about young guys would receive the same sort of scorn.

No wonder there is outrage on GMTV, they completely misrepresented what he said.

It would be outrageous to suggest any group is unlovable but he wasn't saying that, he was giving his own personal opinion, not speaking for men as a whole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭DS86DS

Why would I be? So you're not going to provide an example of a woman getting lambasted in a similar fashion for saying she likes younger men? Ah well, in that case I'm going to have take that as you conceding you were wrong :)

By the way, I disagree with him... but there his preferences and so be it.

Who cares what chattering Aul wans like Lizzie Cundy think. If a man can get a prime aged woman in her 20s, then he is going to.

No amount of virtue signalling from a bunch of middle aged feminist battleaxes is going to change that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭0cp71eyxkb94qf

Candie wrote: »
    I hope he's okay with being deemed unlovable too. Plenty of people in the age group he's attracted to wouldn't be remotely interested in a guy as old or older than their dad.

He's entitled to his preferences, but how you state them (if you really must) can make you sound like a boor.

Which aspect of what he said was boorish ? He prefers a younger woman what is so bad about that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Wibbs wrote: »
    25 year olds can nag too. In the top three of best figures I've observed in the nip one was 40 and there are an awful lot of out of shape 20 odd year olds.

Meh, in shock news men tend to prefer younger women, women tend to prefer taller more successful men. In other news water is wet.

Jaysis, you're a right oul man-whore :D

Advertisement