Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French author, 50, says he's incapable of loving a woman of 50

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

it's a lot to do with genetics. some people in their 50s look great while some in their 20s are wrote-off. but then the amazing looking 50 plusers look "amazing" because they look young.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Another snowflakes getting offended by snowflakes thread? Where would after hours be without them eh

Gravelly wrote: »
    I've a feeling that if his new found fame helps him get the leg over a couple of 20-somethings, he won't give a ****e if the rest of the world hates him.

It's not worth hating him over, he feels how he feels.

I think his mistake was saying love instead of attraction, I wouldn't call any group impossible to love - but there are plenty of things I find unattractive and in common with him, people in their fifties don't do it for me either. Possibly because I'm 32 :pac:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

If a famous woman in her 50's said the same they'd be celebrated for expressing their sexual desires and anyone that criticized the comments would be told that they were just intimidated by strong women.

You've really got a chip on your shoulder about women, if you think that's what would happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

eviltwin wrote: »
    Meh, it's his personal taste, don't see why it's worthy of a debate. He prefers women in their 20's, fair enough.

Really, why did he run to a women’s magazine with his opinion then? To get a reaction or looking for attention more like.

• Advertisement

• it's a lot to do with genetics. some people in their 50s look great while some in their 20s are wrote-off. but then the amazing looking 50 plusers look "amazing" because they look young.

Genetics is a cop out in a lot of cases. A lot of people in their 30's/40's/50's don't do enough exercise and eat too much crap food.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Really, why did he run to a women’s magazine with his opinion then? To get a reaction or looking for attention more like.

New book coming out?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Did he run to the magazine, or did they run to him?

Women's magazines seem to love telling women what to hate about themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

glasso wrote: »
    obviously most men prefer younger women but this guy got some serious reaction against him for stating his preference. what do you think?

justified? or just older women threatened that they are sexually irrelevant?

A popular French author and television presenter has caused outrage after claiming he was “incapable” of loving a woman aged over 50.

Yann Moix, 50, told a glossy magazine: “Come on now, let’s not exaggerate! That’s not possible … too, too old.”

In the interview with Marie-Claire magazine’s French edition, Moix, the author of several prize-winning novels, added that women in their 50s were “invisible” to him.

“I prefer younger women’s bodies, that’s all. End of. The body of a 25-year-old woman is extraordinary. The body of a woman of 50 is not extraordinary at all,” he said.

Moix has won several literary prizes including the prestigious Prix Goncourt for a first novel and the Prix François Mauriac from the Académie Française for his 1996 debut work Jubilations Vers le Ciel, has directed three films and is the host of a popular TV talkshow.

His comments caused outrage on social media.

The journalist and writer Colombe Schneck, aged 52, published a photo of a backside on her Instagram account. “Voila, the buttocks of a woman aged 52…what an imbecile you are, you don’t know what you’re missing, you and your tiny, paunchy brain.”

Feminist author Mona Chollet said Moix was a “sad sire”, while Laura Hulley, from the political section of the British Embassy in Paris, tweeted: “Happy new year, sexists everywhere!”

Former first lady Valerie Trierweiler tweeted here about Moix in the context of the fourth anniversary of the terrorist attack on satirical newspaper Charlie Hebdo.

French MP Olivia Gregoire, a spokeswoman for Macron’s La République en Marche (LREM) party, tweeted: “Very classy Yann Moix. Very very classy. But like stupidity and vulgarity have no age, it’s reassuring in his case as I doubt many women want (these qualities).”

Interesting.

As regards women in their mid twenties having bodies you might describe as 'extraordinary', from my experience this really entirely depends. Many women in their 40s plus are incredibly beautiful.

As for the 'woke' journalist. Wow. talk about letting the side down. This is why I can't abide 'woke' women like this; permanently outraged.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Did he run to the magazine, or did they run to him?

Women's magazines seem to love telling women what to hate about themselves.

They probably put an ad in a national paper, moderately well known man in his 50’s wanted to give his opinion on women over 50. Somehow I doubt it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

You've really got a chip on your shoulder about women, if you think that's what would happen.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

I'm 46 and his comments don't bother me. I look after myself, feel young, never had children (personal choice) and am often mistaken for much younger. I'd say my body is in great shape and certainly don't feel invisible.

As a 25 yo would I be attracted to a 50-year-old man? Never.

We clearly weren't meant to be 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Dont see how it's sexist really. Majority of women arent conventionally attractive by that age, but neither are the men, so the annoying thing is he is no more attractive that the women hes putting down, he'll never get a 25 year old woman so its pretty irrelevant

Anyway there are some women who look great in their 50's if they keep themselves really well, and equally there are many millions of obese 25 year olds in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

They probably put an ad in a national paper, moderately well known man in his 50’s wanted to give his opinion on women over 50. Somehow I doubt it.

Or, they could have approached him for an interview. Magazines do that I believe. Sounds a little more plausible than him phoning them up and saying "hey, I want to insult oul wans, you are a women's magazine, how bout it?"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭OldRio

As a 25 yo would I be attracted to a 50-year-old man? Never.

We clearly weren't meant to be ��

And what about the Multi millionaire 50 year old French Author?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Nixonbot wrote: »
    ;)

Mods endorsing posts which attack a user personally now.

Have you read the charter?

Or, they could have approached him for an interview. Magazines do that I believe. Sounds a little more plausible than him phoning them up and saying "hey, I want to insult oul wans, you are a women's magazine, how bout it?"

yes - I'm sure that the interview in total also covered more than this subject alone. we don't know if the interviewer went after this subject either.

OldRio wrote: »
    And what about the Multi millionaire 50 year old French Author?

No. Not every woman is impressed by money. Sleeping with a 50yo at 25, no way.

• wakka12 wrote: »
    Dont see how it's sexist really. Majority of women arent conventionally attractive by that age, but neither are the men, so the annoying thing is he is no more attractive that the women hes putting down, he'll never get a 25 year old woman so its pretty irrelevant

That isn't remotely true, either in France or Ireland.

Ever notice Donald Trump is married to someone who looks-wise seems to be out of his league? It's a mystery and yet, it's common, if only there was an explanation...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

No. Not ever woman is impressed by money. Sleeping with a 50yo at 25, no way.

Not every woman and its not just women. There are sugar daddys a plenty on the gay scene as well.

Also Bradd Pitt is 55.

• Advertisement

Brad Pitt is starting to look his age, although he looks good for it. That's a rare thing, like most relationships with decades between the couple. Most people pair off within their own age group but exceptions occur and it's often where extreme beauty or wealth are factors.

Melania wouldn't be with Donald if he was penniless, and likewise Donald wouldn't be with Melania if she was plain. If they're both getting what they want out of it then it's no-one elses business.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,606 ✭✭✭gctest50

it's a lot to do with genetics. some people in their 50s look great while some in their 20s are wrote-off. but then the amazing looking 50 plusers look "amazing" because they look young.

YOonE74.jpg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

My first, and pretty much only, reaction to Monsieur Moix is...Oh, my goodness, what the hell is going on with your Neanderthal forehead, you poor lad.

:)

• Zorya wrote: »
    My first, and pretty much only, reaction to Monsieur Moix is...Oh, my goodness, what the hell is going on with your Neanderthal forehead, you poor lad.

:)

Same thing that goes on in most mens heads. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/15/style/dating-apps-online-men-women-age.html

We all know some men who will speak a good game about equality and attraction but when acting as anonymous individuals on a dating site they'll prefer younger women nearly every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

That isn't remotely true, either in France or Ireland.

Ever notice Donald Trump is married to someone who looks-wise seems to be out of his league? It's a mystery and yet, it's common, if only there was an explanation...

Yet most of us know hardly any 50 year old man dating a 25 year old

Im nearly 25 and the chances of most of my female friends dating a man that old is pretty much zero, people as young as that do not care about money. When women start settling down, then sure, money is a big advantage to men in the dating scene

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Not a very French point of view it should be said. Anyone who knows anything about French culture knows that the mature woman is considered "hot" :D Catherine Deneuve and others of her generation are walking goddess's.

Rory28 wrote: »
    Not every woman and its not just women. There are sugar daddys a plenty on the gay scene as well.

Also Bradd Pitt is 55.

So what? Should I be willing to sleep with Brad (it's one d, by the way) Pitt at any age just because he is Brad Pitt??

Men twice my age have never been not on my radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Ignoring the lazy ad hominem: it's not about thinking it would happen, it would happen, and it wouldn't be just women that would say it either, there would be plenty of men that would have a go at any guy that suggested that there was something wrong with an older woman saying she preferred younger guys... and rightly so too, don't see what's wrong with either gender having a preference for younger men or women.

Older guys who like younger women are usually referred to as dirty old men, whereas women who like younger guys are referred to as cougars. Hell, they even had a TV show called Cougar Town. It's just not socially acceptable for men to say they prefer young women as it is for women to say they like young men and yes the latter is celebrated.

Here's the kind of thing I'm talking about:

https://theweek.com/articles/502298/why-candace-bushnell-prefers-younger-men

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Same thing that goes on in most mens heads. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/15/style/dating-apps-online-men-women-age.html

We all know some men who will speak a good game about equality and attraction but when acting as anonymous individuals on a dating site they'll prefer younger women nearly every time.

Hahah no not IN his Neaderthal forehead, I mean his actual Neanderthal forehead :D Have you seen the state of that ridge?

I don't care what he thinks about women.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

Men twice my age have never been not on my radar.

lol

Advertisement