Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recreating the Four Courts records

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

It sounds fantastic but are there any details available yet on just how much of what was lost they will be able to replace?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I am also sceptical.

I was at the first meeting of this group - many years ago now - and tried to get involved, but they weren't interested in independent genealogists! There was a very academic attitude.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Most media had comment and the main dailies had articles, usually badly written as a result of no research and inferring too much from the press release. The most frequent error was mention of the census records and how all those pre-1901 ‘were destroyed in the fire’.

My interpretation is that the ‘team’ is collating what is available overseas and scanning those documents into a searchable database. A good amount of the data destroyed in 1922 were letter copies, the originals being sent to London. What the group seems to be doing is listing what is available in UK (and other) repositories and cataloguing/scanning. It will be an interesting resource if you can read Tudor text and , guessing, much will be medieval and of little practical use to genealogists other than those working on titled families such as the Butlers, Fitzgeralds, etc.

The press release is HERE and makes no mention of the Census records

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭BowWow

My interpretation is that the ‘team’ is collating what is available overseas and scanning those documents into a searchable database. A good amount of the data destroyed in 1922 were letter copies, the originals being sent to London. What the group seems to be doing is listing what is available in UK (and other) repositories and cataloguing/scanning. It will be an interesting resource if you can read Tudor text and , guessing, much will be medieval and of little practical use to genealogists other than those working on titled families such as the Butlers, Fitzgeralds, etc.
    The press release is HERE and makes no mention of the Census records

Thanks, a good summary.

I'd be more interested in records like - (a) 1926 Census, (b) 2020 GRO release, (c) Early GRO images and (d) particularly the digitised Church of Ireland records.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭BowWow

BowWow wrote: »
    I'd be more interested in records like - (a) 1926 Census, (b) 2020 GRO release, (c) Early GRO images and (d) particularly the digitised Church of Ireland records.

and if you really want to make my day the Catholic Baptisms from where they currently finish up to 1920 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SophieLockhart

WQM7x4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Earnest

BowWow wrote: »
    Thanks, a good summary.

These things are hopefully just a matter of waiting, though we might not all be around in 7 years for (a); and (b) and (c) are available through hard work, and also (d) if you know the parish involved.

I have found census copies in which only the better-off families are listed. But what would really be useful to me are wills. I have got manuscript family trees which are clearly based on old records and contradict each other. Without seeing the wills I don't know who to believe.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Earnest wrote: »
    These things are hopefully just a matter of waiting, though we might not all be around in 7 years for (a); and (b) and (c) are available through hard work, and also (d) if you know the parish involved.

I have found census copies in which only the better-off families are listed. But what would really be useful to me are wills. I have got manuscript family trees which are clearly based on old records and contradict each other. Without seeing the wills I don't know who to believe.

Agreed. Let's try keep this thread on the Beyond 2022 project.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement