Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parkside Homes New Development (Balgriffin)

• 05-08-2015 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,

I just went sale agreed for a 4-bed end of terrace house in a new dev in Balgriffin (between Belmayne and Father Collins park).

The house is part of the Parkside Homes (just google it) new development and the show house is really nice.

Anyone bought in the same location ? Any opinion about the location ?

Best
    Ugo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭GoodBridge

They look to be nice houses. Good spec, nice high ceilings. They're officially launching this weekend http://parksidehomes.ie/ The traffic can be a nightmare around there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 bmathew

Hi, have you started living in the houses? Are they good? How is the area? I am looking for a house there...

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 41 blackbelted

Hi,

I am also considering to buy from Parkside estate. It's only few mins drive away from Portmarnock. Looks like a decent estate. A school just nearby.

Anybody familiar with the area or has any information to a potential buyer, please comment here.

I ended up buying one and moved in last week. Happy with everything so far. We've a few things outstanding but builder has promised to fix them and I believe them. Finishing foreman and the contact in the developer's head office are very helpful. Said to give him a shout if I needed help carrying anything in etc. Actually, my wife said the CEO called in to say welcome and check if everything was going ok for us. They gave us a little welcome pack too which was a nice touch. So they do seem to be aiming to please which is good.

Our little one just started in the school there (well, there're two: st francis and educate together - she start in st francis) and her teacher is lovely and great and the kids are very nice to her. We had heard from people we know with kids there both schools there were very good.

I do have a concern about the sound insulation. Can hear the kids walking around upstairs. Maybe it's no worse than other houses and no one has moved in beside us yet so will reserve judgement on it. Hopefully it's not a problem.

re. the area, there's lots around or a short distance away: shops, cinema, public transport, park, playground, etc. Nice to go for walk or run. Bumped into a couple of the neighbours and they seem like nice people.

So, al in all, very happy so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Is this not close to Darndale? Any signs of antisocial behaviour from the Darndale neighbours? That the sound insulation is so poor is a worry, the houses seem crammed together, I'd be worried music/noise from the neighbours would filter through. Or is it just intrahouse?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Mmarika

GoodBridge wrote: »
    I ended up buying one and moved in last week. Happy with everything so far. We've a few things outstanding but builder has promised to fix them and I believe them. Finishing foreman and the contact in the developer's head office are very helpful. Said to give him a shout if I needed help carrying anything in etc. Actually, my wife said the CEO called in to say welcome and check if everything was going ok for us. They gave us a little welcome pack too which was a nice touch. So they do seem to be aiming to please which is good.

Our little one just started in the school there (well, there're two: st francis and educate together - she start in st francis) and her teacher is lovely and great and the kids are very nice to her. We had heard from people we know with kids there both schools there were very good.

I do have a concern about the sound insulation. Can hear the kids walking around upstairs. Maybe it's no worse than other houses and no one has moved in beside us yet so will reserve judgement on it. Hopefully it's not a problem.

re. the area, there's lots around or a short distance away: shops, cinema, public transport, park, playground, etc. Nice to go for walk or run. Bumped into a couple of the neighbours and they seem like nice people.

So, al in all, very happy so far.

Hello, we are considering ParkSide. I wonder, how much are you paying for utilities? Is there any service charge from the company?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Gaz

We have just purchased one of the detached 4 beds, did our snag last week and I have to say the builders have been great and very helpful.

It is noisy when someone is walking around upstairs but I feel this is just because we have no flooring or underlay down yet. The overall build quality is superb and has a lovely finish.

There are no maintenance fees.
    GoodBridge wrote: »

Can I ask what it was like getting your child into the school? Was there any kind of waiting list ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭gabria

Is this not close to Darndale? Any signs of antisocial behaviour from the Darndale neighbours? That the sound insulation is so poor is a worry, the houses seem crammed together, I'd be worried music/noise from the neighbours would filter through. Or is it just intrahouse?

I visited the Parkside development last weekend and was very impressed. We looked at different showhouses. The above points are of minor concern really unless I hear anything further. I'm more concerned about the fact this is pretty much under the flightpath of planes. Do they mostly pass via take off or landing? We counted a fairly high number of planes passing via takeoff during the Sunday afternoon showing, most of which passed over the housing development north of the two schools. It would appear the further south the location is , the better (ie where the building is actually continuing at the moment).

All in all, I'm very interested in these houses, location is perfect for me.

Sorry, only received the email notification that there was reply on this thread yesterday.

re: Darndale: I think you're overly concerned there. There are plenty of estates around that would probably vary on your own personal scale of what you'd consider to be "nice", "average" or "rough" e.g. across the green there's Castlemoyne which would probably be considered "nice" by most and they don't seem to care about their proximity Darndale. To answer your question though: no, I've not experienced any ASB here from Darndale or anywhere else.

re. sound insulation: thankfully, it doesn't seem to be too bad. People have moved in next door and we can't really hear anything. Maybe they're every quiet or maybe it's a non-issue. Within your own house though, you can hear people moving about (not helped by my kids tramping around like elephants).

Mmarika wrote: »
    Hello, we are considering ParkSide. I wonder, how much are you paying for utilities? Is there any service charge from the company?
    No, there are no service charges. We haven't had a utility bill yet as we only transferred to energia during the week. Hopefully the good energy rating will keep the bills down. There is one thing about the heating system that's odd to us: we're used to scheduling our heating and hot water to come on and off at set times but with this house there's a shift from being time-based to being temperature based, if that makes sense. e.g. you can set up the heating so that from 7am - 9am the temp will be 21c and from 9am-5pm it can be as low as 16c, 5pm-10pm 21c, etc but essentially, the system is always "on" and the heating ticks on and off to keep the heat at those levels. You can put the heating on a temporary "hold" for a set period (e.g. put heating on for the next hour). You can control the heating from an app on your phone which is handy but still, it takes a bit of getting used to -ad I'm still not used to it.

Gaz wrote: »
    Can I ask what it was like getting your child into the school? Was there any kind of waiting list ?
    We couldn't get her into the Educate Together. The waiting list was too long. We'd no problems getting her into St Francis though (we were in touch with them in Nov I think and she started in Jan).

gabria wrote: »
    ...I'm more concerned about the fact this is pretty much under the flightpath of planes...
    Yeah. If you like aeroplanes you're in for a real treat :) ... seriously though, yeah it's close to a flight path alright. I've always lived relatively close to the airport (no more than 15 min drive) though so maybe I'm immune but, honestly, it hasn't affected us at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭kaiser31

I was out to Parkside last week, the houses are fab. My only problem was the green area in front, where the little parks are - are they planning to do anymore with them? It looks like wasteland with a few swings thrown in. Also, they say they are building two new schools? Are the ones there now only temporary buildings? And is there any community amenities being planned- like a community hall or a local shop? The estate looks lovely but everything else looks a bit bleak?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

We counted a fairly high number of planes passing via takeoff during the Sunday afternoon showing, most of which passed over the housing development north of the two schools.

While it is near the flightpath, planes more often land and take off from east to west, so usually it would be planes coming to land that fly over, which means they are lower, but with less engine power, so probably quieter? I think they are noisier only when taking off from west to east (which is less usual, only when the winds are from the east), in which case they are higher but with full engines.

Had a look around the 4-bed show house today. Looked good, but there seemed to be very little lighting in the kitchen, just three small spotlights, and one lamp over the table. Hard to tell without seeing the room at night.

Also, the 'hot press' room wasn't really a hot press. There was the hot water tank, but the room was the wrong layout, and you could put in wooden shelves but there would be a lot of bending over involved putting clothes away. The 3-bed had a proper hot press, with shelves.

On leaving the estate, within 30 seconds by car we came across two young lads bareback on horses, a reminder I suppose that Darndale isn't all that far away :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

Don't worry about the planes, after a while you wont hear them. I lived on a flight path and never noticed anything. I moved close to a dart line and remember holy crap that is noisy. Don't hear it anymore.

Close to Malahide, Portmarnock, Howth, great location, wish you all the best

cassid wrote: »
    Don't worry about the planes, after a while you wont hear them. I lived on a flight path and never noticed anything. I moved close to a dart line and remember holy crap that is noisy. Don't hear it anymore.

Yeah I'm a bit less concerned by that after similar perspective. I am also living right beside the dart line in Raheny. Earthquakes every 10 to 15 minutes here!
    mambo wrote: »
    On leaving the estate, within 30 seconds by car we came across two young lads bareback on horses, a reminder I suppose that Darndale isn't all that far away :-)

Darndale's out of reach, that's fine enough. I'm more concerned about the neighbours in Belmayne right next door. I really like the Parkside house build quality but the prospect of living potentially right on the border with Belmayne, of what I have seen in it, is not appealing. It would be interesting to see how this border would eventually look like, replacing the current litter strewn fence

I rented in Belmayne for two years prior to buying in Parkside, I never had any issues living there. What are your concerns specifically ?

It would be interesting to see how this border would eventually look like, replacing the current litter strewn fence[/quote]

I think I understand what you're saying. The houses themselves are beautiful but the area just looks unfinished. I understand it's still is a building site but it just hard to visualise the end product.

I'm still 50/50 on putting down a deposit. We're moving up from down south and have the kids enrolled etc in Raheny. We were hoping to rent there but no joy so far. I'm thinking I'll rent in balgriffin to get a feel for the place first.

Gaz wrote: »
    I rented in Belmayne for two years prior to buying in Parkside, I never had any issues living there. What are your concerns specifically ?

So you've lived in Belmayne for two years , up to last year yes?

When I went into the estate last month, first sights were of the litter and a person sitting and drinking cans of cheap beer on the path outside the shop. My specific concern is of these kind of less social activity I saw becoming commonplace and meeting me as I walk to and from where I work in Northern Cross or Malahide road bus stop

The area between Belmayne/Parkside and Castelmoyne on the otherside has been greatly improved, there is a new playground, running track and fitness equipment. The rest of it I would describe more as wild brush rather than scrub land .. I quite like the look of it, each to their own though.
    The school buildings are only temporary with full planning permission granted for permanent structures to the south of Parkside.

With regards to Belmayne, I lived there for two years, moving out in January of this year. Over at the shop/chipper you will see the odd gang of kids hanging around but you get that everywhere. Have a walk around the inside, by the play ground and you will see its grand.

I was wondering that about the schools, will they build the schools bigger? They really don't look like temporary structures. Is there a community centre in the area? Or a sports club? If you are standing at the showhouse, you are looking out at the playgrounds and running track - what is the estate behind it?

I must go out there again and walk around.

If you are standing in Parkside looking north past the playground, the estate in the back ground is Castlemoyne. Lovely houses, massive price tag though... starting at 540k I believe.

I seen the schools on the overall site plans for Parkside but couldnt tell you if they will be any bigger, looked like normal schools to me, play grounds, playing pitches etc.

Not sure about a community center, not something I have ever looked for in places I have lived.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

I live in the area, and find it most convenient, Tesco is minutes away, dart lines you have the choice of portmarnock or Clongriffin. I mostly walk to clongriffin now. There is a balgriffin hall nearby that has a good few clubs in it. There is a swimming pool at trinity sports and leisure, its basic but a good size. Sadly lacking in a nice pub. As for our 'neighbours' I've never seen them on our estate, i believe there have been a few breakins and the builders have had trouble with theft but I guess you get this with nice estates in dublin anyway. The guards are only in coo lock and if you have any issues they are out very quickly. I love the proximity to malahide, portmarnock and Howth, its great for getting to pavilions in swords too. As for traffic, I've never seen any that I would say is an issue! I've been here for 4 years. Parks are a plenty, Clongriffin is nice, there is one beside belmayne, a small park for Parkside, there is another in Belmayne estate itself which also has a half basketball court and Castlemoyne will be getting one soon. As for Belmayne, never seen any issues in there other than dog waste which is bad. As for flight path, you get very used to it. I rarely have an issue with it at all, after a while you don't notice it.

• Advertisement

In the end we decided to buy a house and signed a contract. A bit shaky but looking forward for a move.

I have couple of questions for people who are living in Parkside already.
    Has anybody got bill for electricity and gas? How much did you pay?
    Who did a flooring for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note

Recommendations by pm only please.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 windyday

Congratulations Mmarika! We have put a deposit down for a house in Parkside as well, hopefully they will be finished by June. As many people above we were a bit concerned about the area as it wouldn't have been our first choice. However I believe once all houses are sold the majority of the neighbors will be young couples and families so hopefully there will not be many issues. I have been driving around Belmayne/Clongriffin a lot for the past month and, besides a few tracksuit wearing teenagers, I haven't seen nothing too concerning. The train station doesn't seem to be well looked after (broken window...) but it could just be lack of maintenance. One thing I notice is as soon as we move in I will be contacting the council to get bins in the park beside the schools, there is not a single one in the whole place so it will make it hard to keep it clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭delux

We have put a deposit down for a house in Parkside as well, hopefully they will be finished by June
    Hi, just curious about your new house being finished in June because there are finished houses already there which are empty. Was there a reason why you didn't go for one of those?
    (I live in Parkside already btw, happy with it so far:))

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Dublin1980

Hi - my wife and I moved into Parkside recently and so far everything is great. The finishing foreman and his team are great to work with and will sort out any teething issues without fuss.

I wasn't sure what to expect from the area, but so far the neighbours I've met are decent people - young families or planning on kids, and no buy to let, which doesn't seem to be encouraged by the sales agency. There's an Educate Together and a Catholic primary school 100 metres from the estate, and planning permission has apparently been granted to build a school on the other side of the neighborhood.

A few drawbacks, including the phone reception (a Vodafone booster attached to our modem has solved that), and only Virgin (so far) can provide broadband. Eir were absolutely rubbish at helping us transfer our account, and as it turned out weren't set up in the area. Virgin is more expensive, but has a good service. The gardens are not great as the soil doesn't seem to drain much, but can be sorted by digging up the topsoil.

The house prices are still good value, especially compared to the so-called mature neighborhoods. We don't hear much outside noise as the insulation is very good and the houses have a quality finish (not an expert, but that's the way it seems so far) - well certainly from what we had rented (pre-2000 houses).

Yeah, I am finding the mobile signal atrocious despite Eirs coverage map showing 4G in the area, I barely get E :mad:

It's not the reception in the area, it's the reception in the house that's the problem. I think they have some kind of foil-backed insulation that causes it.

The only way I was able to overcome it was by switching to vodafone and buying the sure signal box (http://www.vodafone.ie/sure-signal/).

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭delux

I'm with 3 and I do get 4G in the house but no signal sometimes. I think the kitchen seems to be the worst.. need to do more testing though. I suspect its the insulation too. Nice warm house.

About Virgin, took them ages to do the house move to here and I made a complaint on the website(which I don't normally do), got it installed quickly then and they gave me the next 6 months half price:)

Hello, I have a question to people who already moved in: is water pump on a ground floor noisy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭powerstar

Hi, I am just wondering any issues with pyrite in this area ?

Advertisement