Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord not sharing address and Tenancy Notice Period

• 03-06-2020 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Original post was messed up and hence taking off content. Will either add new content or requst mod to remove it.

Appreciate feedback given by all. Thanks everyone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,864 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

The LL does not have to provide their contact details if there is an agent acting on their behalf.

See Landlord Responsibilities:

https://onestopshop.rtb.ie/beginning-a-tenancy/rights-and-responsibilities/

Dav010 wrote: »
    The LL does not have to provide their contact details if there is an agent acting on their behalf.

You seem to have one of the rest of the post. Agency told tenant to ask for address, after they’d asked for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

You rented from an agency who was acting on behalf of the landlord.

You send all notifications to them

• Registered Users Posts: 21 randommviewss

We were informed that it is LL Managed property.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,340 ✭✭✭✭banie01

There is an agent in place. There is no need for the LL address to be provided to you.

Serving notice to the agent fulfils the notice obligation.

• Advertisement

Darc19 wrote: »
    You rented from an agency who was acting on behalf of the landlord.

You send all notifications to them

I did email them with notice, with no firm date as I assumed it is fixed per lease agreement. LL & myself got involved on a chat where we discussed Rent reduction. Agency was not even in loop.

How can they say, notice starts from now.

banie01 wrote: »
    There is an agent in place. There is no need for the LL address to be provided to you.

Serving notice to the agent fulfils the notice obligation.

My bad if that is the case :-(

You seem to have one of the rest of the post. Agency told tenant to ask for address, after they’d asked for it.

If the Agent is acting on behalf of the LL and their contact details are on the lease agreement, that is who the op should contact when serving notice, not the LL. I doubt the letting agent can give the LLs address without the LLs permission, the op could have asked the LL directly for this when they spoke.

If the Agent is acting on behalf of the LL and their contact details are on the lease agreement, that is who the op should contact when serving notice, not the LL. I doubt the letting agent can give the LLs address without the LLs permission, the op could have asked the LL directly for this when they spoke.

Why did they tell them to ask for the LL address then?

Point taken

• Advertisement

Why did they tell them to ask for the LL address then?

Presumably because they were not in a position to give that information, but of course the LL himself can.

The RTB site says that an Agent acting on behalf of a LL can deal with termination of tenancies.

Why LL playing the card that LL- OP had discussion was in progress and hence they will not consider original notice

Presumably because they were not in a position to give that information, but of course the LL himself can.

The RTB site says that an Agent acting on behalf of a LL can deal with termination of tenancies.

No, the angecy told them to ask for the LL address when they called asking for notice. Go back and read the OP as you’ve only cherry picked what you want at this stage.

No, the angecy told them to ask for the LL address when they called asking for notice. Go back and read the OP as you’ve only cherry picked what you want at this stage.

I’ve read it, it’s kinda hard to follow. I’m trying to see if the op has actually served written notice of termination to anyone. The RTB allows for an Agent to act on the LLs behalf, the op has their details and should really have just sent the notice to them.

I’ve read it, it’s kinda hard to follow. I’m trying to see if the op has actually served written notice of termination to anyone. The RTB allows for an Agent to act on the LLs behalf, the op has their details and should really have just sent the notice to them.

LL is contact point as per lease.

Fair point, that could have been included in your op.

Did you ask the Agent if they would accept written notice on LLs behalf?

Just in relation to the last point in your op, did the mould cause you pain and suffering?

They informed LL after my email with notice. LL confirmed and allowed issuance of a reference letter. Thus, this should be fine.

LL kept on playing carrot and stick as delay tactics simply to get over June COVID restrictions.

No disrespect, but it’s kinda hard to follow your posts. If you haven’t given written notice, then your notice is not valid. I do appreciate that you have been messed around, but if the agent acts for the LL and they can accept notice, you could have just sent it to them. Did you actually ask them if they could accept it on the LLs behalf?

I’m not a lawyer, you will know more about this than me obviously, but to seek damages, don’t you have to show that your pain and suffering was caused by the LL?

The forum for tenancy disputes is the RTB rather than the Law Courts.

I know it is a messed up post. Apologies. Agent had informed his office is closed due to COVID 19 and so not sure where I would have served notice.

Point is they are annoyed over why I discarded rent reduction. What they missed is - They cannot offer, change it and when we refuse then offer it again.

Apartment is in prime Dublin location and can be let in 2-3 days. We also got house in 2 days and lost few apartments to others in 2-3 days.

Who offers Rent discount in a location with a big mall in Dublin South, at rent of one bed apartment.

No disrespect, but it’s kinda hard to follow your posts. If you haven’t given written notice, then your notice is not valid. I do appreciate that you have been messed around, but if the agent acts for the LL and they can accept notice, you could have just sent it to them. Did you actually ask them if they could accept it on the LLs behalf?

I’m not a lawyer, you will know more about this than me obviously, but to seek damages, don’t you have to show that your pain and suffering was caused by the LL?

The forum for tenancy disputes is the RTB rather than the Law Courts.

Fair Point. Ignore any such thoughts :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭TSQ

Fair Point. Law court for changing terms of a verbal agreement to cause harassment and loss to other party.

Also, selectively playing delay tactics with an intent to deceive.

My head is in a spin reading your various posts. If you are thinking of going to court with this, I really suggest you dont represent yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

Fair Point. Law court for changing terms of a verbal agreement to cause harassment and loss to other party.

Also, selectively playing delay tactics with an intent to deceive.

You're over analyzing this and are too close to the fire. One of the first lessons you should have learnt is "A person who represents himself at trial has a fool for a client".

You have emails to the LL's agent that you're giving the required notice.

Leave at the appropriate time and if you LL acts the maggot, you have the RTB.

• Advertisement

You're over analyzing this and are too close to the fire. One of the first lessons you should have learnt is "A person who represents himself at trial has a fool for a client".

You have emails to the LL's agent that you're giving the required notice.

Leave at the appropriate time and if you LL acts the maggot, you have the RTB.

Agree. No point doing all this. I rest it all here.

Damn, I messed up big time in terms of writing skills or lack of it in this instance. lol

Sorry for un organized post.

TSQ wrote: »
    My head is in a spin reading your various posts. If you are thinking of going to court with this, I really suggest you dont represent yourself.

My head was spinning, when I had written these. I can now relate your feeling. Thanks for being honest :-).

Damn, I was not thinking straight. Appreciate all folks here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭mel123

Just wondering to those in the know, you dont have to give your tenant your address do you? I never got any address from any LL i rented from. The RTB says 'contact details' on the website, doesnt specifically mention address. I wouldnt be comfortable as a LL giving out my personal address.

mel123 wrote: »
    Just wondering to those in the know, you dont have to give your tenant your address do you? I never got any address from any LL i rented from. The RTB says 'contact details' on the website, doesnt specifically mention address. I wouldnt be comfortable as a LL giving out my personal address.

You can share your house as he pays rent, but not own address. RTB web-sites puts an obligation on LL for sharing his address.

Do dig in more. RTB did say LL was in breach of his obligation.

FYI - I am a landlord in back home, tenant knows even where I work forget about my home address.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭pandaa

What if the lease terms says notice to be served to person in certain clause where name of LL is only mentioned?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

It often happens that an agent only arranges the initial letting on behalf of the landlord and does not take part any further in the management of the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭pandaa

It often happens that an agent only arranges the initial letting on behalf of the landlord and does not take part any further in the management of the property.

I would agree. OP had asked agency for who is responsible and they gave LL address.

In above case as I could read, LL did not share his address to avoid COVID relet possible loss. Difficult to let during COVID and offered less rent and took it back later. Shame

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

The o/p is entitled to contact details for his landlord. He coulkd have served the notice at the rented property and just left. Nothing the LL could have done.

If I remember correctly (op has been edited) the EA was dealing with the op in relation to rent review on behalf of the LL and that they did pass on op’s notice to the LL, which was acknowledged, but the op still wanted the LLs address.

• Advertisement

The o/p is entitled to contact details for his landlord. He coulkd have served the notice at the rented property and just left. Nothing the LL could have done.

From RTB site.

A Landlord must:

Provide the tenant with contact details (or for the agent working on the landlords behalf).

The bracketed part is pertinent.

Advertisement