Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

resemblances in babies

• 08-05-2015 2:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭

Is it short sighted of me that I cannot see resemblances in newborns? My nephew was born recently and I cannot for the life of me see any resemblance to his parents. I generally never can when faced with babies , even when everyone around me is saying "they're the image of so and so" "they have so and so's eyes/ears/nose. Do people just say it to flatter others or themselves? to me they look like babies and nothing more.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

All newborns resemble Kim Jong Un.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Babies, you say?

c00.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭silverfeather

An File wrote: »
    Babies, you say?

I was expecting cute baby pics....denied...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Babies, you say?

c00.gif

That freaked me out a little bit.

Anyway I can never see resemblances in babies. Every baby looks the same to me.

Riddle101 wrote: »
    That freaked me out a little bit.

Anyway I can never see resemblances in babies. Every baby looks the same to me.

I can in some babies but not in all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

I can very rarely see a resemblance to anyone either. Grandmothers are mad for that craic - one grandmother saying the baby is the image of her offspring, the other grandmother saying same in relation to hers. :pac:

My friend's sister is dark-skinned with curly black hair, and her little boy has had those traits from birth, so it's been obvious from day 1 which parent he resembles. But apart from obvious ones like that, I can never see anything other than a newborn baby that looks like any newborn baby.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Flood

Postman

Flood wrote: »
    Postman

Oh dear. :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Babies, you say?

c00.gif
    Ah Chrisht.

/shudders

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

The older you get, the more you can see it.
    Since my Grandsons have been here, I'm more in tune with it.
    When they were born everyone said they were like their Daddy(hair colour mostly)
    I'm waiting smugly with pictures of Mammy(my daughter) and ALL the cousins, when they were the same age. Ha! They dont look like Daddy! :D

They do a bit.Just being clear!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

smash wrote: »
    All newborns resemble Kim Jong Un.

After a few weeks, they usually morph into either Winston Churchill or Michael Noonan.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

get the father or whoever to wrap up in a towel and close their eyes and drool a bit.

makes it easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭DrGreenthumb

I just don't think you can cut the mustard when it comes to identifying resemblances,

see this pic tumblr_llvcbbmpuS1qd30kpo1_500.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,631 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Babies, you say?

c00.gif
    That has to be one of the most disturbing things I've seen in a good while.

And I've seen disturbing things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

A babies are like giant mutated potatoes. Takes a while for the to form any proper looks like their parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

There's research that babies reassemble their fathers more after birth. It's supposed to be evolutions way of reassuring the man about paternity and encouraging him to stay around to protect the child . I've noticed that if i look closely babies do tend to favour their father in early obviously inherited features. So look for signs of the dad is the best advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Chucken wrote: »
    The older you get, the more you can see it.
    Since my Grandsons have been here, I'm more in tune with it.
    When they were born everyone said they were like their Daddy(hair colour mostly)
    I'm waiting smugly with pictures of Mammy(my daughter) and ALL the cousins, when they were the same age. Ha! They dont look like Daddy! :D

They do a bit.Just being clear!
    There's research that babies reassemble their fathers more after birth. It's supposed to be evolutions way of reassuring the man about paternity and encouraging him to stay around to protect the child . I've noticed that if i look closely babies do tend to favour their father in early obviously inherited features. So look for signs of the dad is the best advice.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

All babies look the same
    when our 1st was born, my wife had a few complications, I went off with the baby up to NICU and my wife went into surgery, they gave me and the baby a private room and I stayed there until I heard that the operation was over. I went down to herself to make sure she was ok. Feeling guilty, not being able to be In 2 places at the one time I was running from her ward to the baby every 20 minutes or so, what I didn't realise is that they had moved the baby to a different cot so for about 3 or 4 trips upto NICU I had been standing over the wrong baby.

Was always afraid that if we had twins how the he'll would know which one was which

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Exactly, every baby looks like......... a baby. This rubbish about having its mother's eyes and its daddy's toenails is just part of the mantra that women are obliged to go through when their friends or family reproduce.

While we are on the subject, there are ugly people in the world, so it stands to reason there are ugly babies born all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Tell the excited parent that the kid looks like their dad. 8 out of 10 times they really do. 1 out of 10, it's the mother's side of the family. The other 1 out of 10 it's an adulterer. Keep that bit to yourself though.

PS: this won't work if the child has been adopted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement