Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

elperello wrote: »
    I can't see how that would be a solution to their problems.
    Montrose is already set up with all the facilities needed to broadcast TV and Radio.
    It would cost another fortune to convert an industrial unit.
    Besides if the root causes of their problems are not addressed any money made from such a move would be spent in short order.
    What then? Move into some farmers barn in Meath?

One of the excuses for a central location for rte was that stars wouldn't travel to the burbs
    Cue name the stars on rte, Irish populus doesn't count

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭GMSA

• Registered Users Posts: 81,115 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

GMSA wrote: »

It's about as believable as someone playing for Shamrock Rovers saying he turned down an offer from Barcelona because he prefers the Irish summers.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,976 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

He's making it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

That same interview is trotted out every time he has a new book out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭bigroad

He is nothing but a chancer telling lies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Nowhere outside of Dublin would hire him. His whole shtick is colloquial rambling.
    "Get up the yard Manhattan, how's the childer? Just having me sup and a bite of gur cake". Yeah, sure.....

The same crap was spouted back in the day. Gerry Ryan, Pat Kenny and Gaybo would leave us etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

I think we enhance lives

He thinks wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

NIMAN wrote: »
    I'd say if one of those consultants went in and asked everyone what they did and how much they were paid, there could be massive savings made.

You can say the same for every public service ran in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Marty Bird wrote: »
    You can say the same for every public service ran in this country.

Lots of credit there for Consultants.

Consultants just make recommendations and charge money for it, you'd need consultants to monitor the consultants!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Thursday night. 9pm

Finding Joy is on.

First a Brexit deal announced, then Finding Joy.

What a night, what a time to be alive

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I just watched the promo for the Late Late Show when the news had the ad break. Tubridy said that he has Kiefer Sutherland, Andrea Corr & Jack Whitehall as guests for tomorrow night. Who would be up to see that tomorrow? Also would these interviews for tomorrow night be shown live? I suppose Kiefer Sutherland's interview could be pre-recorded. Although am I open to correction on that.

Most likely pre recorded on Tuesday in front of RTÉ staff, no one important in the world of show biz would be in Ireland on a Friday night!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,976 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I see they felt the need to fly David McCullough over to Brussels to present his bit of Prime Time from there.

Cos the piece doesn't have the same meaning if he is in the studio.

When something like this happens, does it mean that there is a team of Rte staff flown out with him with cameras, sound gear etc, or do they hire local people out there to do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,115 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I see they felt the need to fly David McCullough over to Brussels to present his bit of Prime Time from there.

Or the need to fly over all those over to Japan to just cover Ireland's 5 Rugby World Cup games, they should have just ditched coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭elperello

When something like this happens, does it mean that there is a team of Rte staff flown out with him with cameras, sound gear etc, or do they hire local people out there to do it?

Switch on your TV.
    He is delivering in spades now.

Networks usually have a man/woman in certain hot spots. These are contractors, generally on skype. But I suppose money is no object for RTE.

There is a team stationed in Brussels. Tony Connolly plus whatever crew he needs, camera, sound, engineer and perhaps 2-3 producers?

The obvious thing to do would be to send David alone and link up with the existing Brussels team, but being RTÉ I suspect he flew over with a posse of at least 5 or 6, and all stayed in a nice hotel that evening before flying back this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,509 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

There is a team stationed in Brussels. Tony Connolly plus whatever crew he needs, camera, sound, engineer and perhaps 2-3 producers?

Tony is the producer.

Camera / Sound / Engineer would be the one person.

He very rarely does outside broadcasts, a room rented in a TV station with a Satellite uplink to RTE is where he does most his reports from.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

4 pundits and a presenter in the studio for the Rugby. Michael Lynagh flown in, flights, hotels etc paid for. Jamie Heaslip flown out to Japan, flights, hotels paid for.

I thought they had money problems?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

4 pundits and a presenter in the studio for the Rugby. Michael Lynagh flown in, flights, hotels etc paid for. Jamie Heaslip flown out to Japan, flights, hotels paid for.

I thought they had money problems?

This is WHY they have money problems!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

This is WHY they have money problems!

You'd think they'd bring in a financial consultant at this point... where's NAMA when you need em?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Pat Kenny is a far superior broadcaster to Joe Duffy and would be earning much less than Duffy I'd imagine at Newstalk.

There is absolutely no chance Duffy would be hired by anyone else for more money.

The RTE top brass swallowing nonsense like this is another reason they are in financial trouble. And if they cannot find someone to replace a guy who answers a phone on air, there is something badly wrong. This is not a skilled job despite what RTE defenders here and elsewhere would argue.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Pat Kenny is a far superior broadcaster to Joe Duffy and would be earning much less than Duffy I'd imagine at Newstalk.

Doubtful. Pat is doing his job in Newstalk, he brought in enough viewers, he wasn't taking a pay cut in RTÉ. He's a good broadcaster but he is also a smart business man, he got more than enough in that Newstalk Deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

There is absolutely no chance Duffy would be hired by anyone else for more money.

The RTE top brass swallowing nonsense like this is another reason they are in financial trouble. And if they cannot find someone to replace a guy who answers a phone on air, again there is something badly wrong. This is not a skilled job despite what RTE defenders here and elsewhere would argue.

answering a phone in such a manner that brings in listeners and add revenue most certainly is a skill, whether one rates an individual presenter or not.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

The RTE top brass swallowing nonsense like this is another reason they are in financial trouble. And if they cannot find someone to replace a guy who answers a phone on air, again there is something badly wrong. This is not a skilled job despite what RTE defenders here and elsewhere would argue.

It's often representation. The lad who represents the like of Lottie Ryan might cause issues with other 'talent' if others he represents don't get a look in.
    The place is rampant with back scratching.
    Remember when A.K.T., (Twink's theater company) got the LLS deal for appearing on the Toy Show and that, because, well Twink set it up? Giving Billie Barry the elbow. Then when A.K.T. went to the wall Billie Barry was brought back. This is all tax payer money they play with.

I very much doubt it, also if Kenny was still on RTE you would cutting his throat.

answering a phone in such a manner that brings in listeners and add revenue most certainly is a skill, whether one rates an individual presenter or not.

So does the Liveline listenership drop dramatically when Joe's replacement is on air?

The program is not about Joe. Joe is a generic presenter at best who could be replaced by any number of people. The format of the program is set in stone at this point.

And several other RTE radio shows are the same.

Boggles wrote: »
    I very much doubt it, also if Kenny was still on RTE you would cutting his throat.

Absolutely not, he was by far and away RTE's best broadcaster.

• Advertisement

Absolutely not, he was by far and away RTE's best broadcaster.

Yeah right.

He was universally lampooned when he was picking up nearly a million euro off RTE, once he left he suddenly because Irelands best journalist.

Advertisement