Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deals On Sky TV Service - (Mostly Cancellation deals)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,758 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Seve OB wrote: »
    I see he has been banned now :rolleyes:
    Seen that. I wonder why :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

My father who's been disconnected since mid November got a letter yesterday offering 50% off any package, pity I can't transfer it to me....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,779 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Nothing on the sky talk to forum from him anyway.... Unless he was out of line and it got removed! ?

jca wrote: »
    My father who's been disconnected since mid November got a letter yesterday offering 50% off any package, pity I can't transfer it to me....

Why not?

Get him to sign up but change name on account.

Then ring them to tell them you are moving house :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Why not?

Mmmmm that's clever...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Why not?

You can't change the name on the account. You can however set a password so you can access it. But he would still be the account holder and he would need to cancel products or cancel the full account (You can upgrade/downgrade the likes of Movies and Sports, just not HD, Multiscreen or Broadband )

Avada wrote: »
    You can't change the name on the account. You can however set a password so you can access it. But he would still be the account holder and he would need to cancel products or cancel the full account (You can upgrade/downgrade the likes of Movies and Sports, just not HD, Multiscreen or Broadband )

Add the new name then to make it a joint account.

I did that before with my dad's account with UPC so I could deal with them and they did it no problem

Add the new name then to make it a joint account.

I did that before with my dad's account with UPC so I could deal with them and they did it no problem

Can't do that either with Sky. Name on account should be one name only and should never change (There are a few exceptions where someone has power of attorney or where the sales person was an idiot).

Can't do that either with Sky. Name on account should be one name only and should never change (There are a few exceptions where someone has power of attorney or where the sales person was an idiot).

Myself and the wife are both named on our joint account with sky

Myself and the wife are both named on our joint account with sky

See my last bit about salesperson being an idiot ;) Sky's internal quality & compliance procedures prevent this, but it happens occasionally. It's a compliance fail from the staff member.

• Advertisement

See my last bit about salesperson being an idiot ;) Sky's internal quality & compliance procedures prevent this, but it happens occasionally. It's a compliance fail from the staff member.

Can't say you make any sense there. It would be common practice for utility bills to be issued in names of both spouses. In UK, my cousin has sky with his gf and they are both on their bill as account holders.

Rather than idiots, I would think that it is common sense to allow both partners names as joint account holders

Can't say you make any sense there. It would be common practice for utility bills to be issued in names of both spouses. In UK, my cousin has sky with his gf and they are both on their bill as account holders.

Rather than idiots, I would think that it is common sense to allow both partners names as joint account holders

I'm not saying it makes sense. I'm saying Sky don't allow it, when you work for them that's day 1 of training.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Furzy

Cancelled Sky end of October - just got an email offering any package half price for 12m. Would have taken that if offered it before cancelling but happy without them now so not tempted.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

Furzy wrote: »
    Cancelled Sky end of October - just got an email offering any package half price for 12m. Would have taken that if offered it before cancelling but happy without them now so not tempted.

I left in Feb I got a call once per month to offer me to go back, most of the time was half price for 12 months.

if anyone wants to try to get the offer the link is http://www.sky.com/ireland/offers/come-back-to-sky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

nava wrote: »
    I left in Feb I got a call once per month to offer me to go back, most of the time was half price for 12 months.

if anyone wants to try to get the offer the link is http://www.sky.com/ireland/offers/come-back-to-sky

Need to be less than 12 months gone by the looks of it :( And still have the kit

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

Called to cancel the weekend after about 5 years, offered me 10% discount..... Was told if I do go ahead with request to cancel that any offers won't be available or else any on my account will be lost? (if I understood correctly) so awaiting another person to call over the next day or two or else I'll go ahead and request cancellation, at least I'll get Christmas out of it!! 10%, even though the come back to sky get 50% off...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

JIdontknow wrote: »
    Called to cancel the weekend after about 5 years, offered me 10% discount..... Was told if I do go ahead with request to cancel that any offers won't be available or else any on my account will be lost? (if I understood correctly) so awaiting another person to call over the next day or two or else I'll go ahead and request cancellation, at least I'll get Christmas out of it!! 10%, even though the come back to sky get 50% off...

put thru the cancellation and then they will offer u 50% off for 9 or 12 months

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

GY A1 wrote: »

Thanks, that's what I'm going to do, can't justify playing over 80 a month for it. The offer they will counter with is it contract free or signing up for a minimum 12/24 month contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭lycan238

GY A1 wrote: »

Due to get cut off next Sunday I think would jump at half price everything variety sports movies for even 6 - 9 months as long as there is no contract just gotta wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭CJmasgrande

I hsve full sky world packsge half price yil next June. Im avtuslly hoing to close mibe once and for all agter xnas. Im currently monitoring usage i have wife and two teenage biys and none ofvthem use it at all. My youngest prefers watching some soccer matches free streaming on his iphone. My wife snd i are hsppy out watching free tv suvh as channrl 4, utv tv3 etc. I dont need to record soaps anymore as they are all available online on the plsyers etc. Even at 50% off its not eorth it to me anymore.

• Advertisement

JIdontknow wrote: »
    Thanks, that's what I'm going to do, can't justify playing over 80 a month for it. The offer they will counter with is it contract free or signing up for a minimum 12/24 month contract?
    First up any Sky contract is never any longer than 12 months. The offers are usually free from a contract other than the usual 31 days notice you have to give. Hopefully you get a good offer but just make a note of the date it expires and ring in 31 days beforehand to cancel again. Even if you miss the date Sky only charge per day for the service so you wouldn't be at any great loss.

I have seen an odd post here in the past where someone would get offered half price for 6 months with no contract or 9 / 12 months with a contract but thats a very odd time that would happen and its usually some agent pushing for a bonus.

lycan238 wrote: »
    Due to get cut off next Sunday I think would jump at half price everything variety sports movies for even 6 - 9 months as long as there is no contract just gotta wait.
    You're on the pigs back so if I'm reading things right. Follow the link provided by Nava a few posts back (I had to click twice on it btw before it worked) and half price is available for some packs up to 24th December for returning customers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭loopymum

I got a letter in the post last Thursday saying half price on anything for 12 months and offer only valid till 13 December and got an email this morning with the same offer valid till 24 December. HD half price too.

I left in September and it was the first offer I have received but I don't think I will bother, will only go for it if they give it to me free again.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭pj12332

loopymum wrote: »
    I got a letter in the post last Thursday saying half price on anything for 12 months and offer only valid till 13 December and got an email this morning with the same offer valid till 24 December. HD half price too.

I left in September and it was the first offer I have received but I don't think I will bother, will only go for it if they give it to me free again.

Hi could you send me on the email please I would really appreciate it. when did you get it for free also? LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I hsve full sky world packsge half price yil next June. Im avtuslly hoing to close mibe once and for all agter xnas. Im currently monitoring usage i have wife and two teenage biys and none ofvthem use it at all. My youngest prefers watching some soccer matches free streaming on his iphone. My wife snd i are hsppy out watching free tv suvh as channrl 4, utv tv3 etc. I dont need to record soaps anymore as they are all available online on the plsyers etc. Even at 50% off its not eorth it to me anymore.

Any chance you could put English on that?:). If I read you right, I think you should get rid of the Sky Box and get a combi FTA receiver. That way you can arrange your channels as you prefer to view them.You may need an aerial for the Irish channels, and depending on your location, an aerial in the attic may suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭loopymum

pj12332 wrote: »
    Hi could you send me on the email please I would really appreciate it. when did you get it for free also? LOL

It's the same as the link on the last page. I read through it and it says minimum term applies but it doesn't say what the minimum term is? Sky being as helpful as ever.

I joined Sky 5 years ago and once the first 12 months were gone, I cancelled and I have never paid more than 50% since, had it free for 6 months once and free for 2 or 3 months another time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

loopymum wrote: »
    It's the same as the link on the last page. I read through it and it says minimum term applies but it doesn't say what the minimum term is? Sky being as helpful as ever.

I joined Sky 5 years ago and once the first 12 months were gone, I cancelled and I have never paid more than 50% since, had it free for 6 months once and free for 2 or 3 months another time.

cancelled few months ago aswell,
    got offered half price a couple times, but doing fine with saorview and freesat,
    not had fone call in a month, was waiting for couple months free too

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

My sky was turned off last week, phoned them to see what deals is available and 25% off is the best they would do.
    I just started a chat with a sky rep and told him I had got the offer that nava posted above, had to play dumb for awhile but he said no problem 50% off for 12 months, happy days, the wife was going to kill me if I kept it turned off over Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭ablelocks

with Sky Q pricing and details coming in Feb/March, it might be an idea to try and find out if you can change to Sky Q without penalty during a 12 month contract. The person you're talking to will probably not know the answer - the last guy I spoke to said they had no info on it yet. That's why I'd be wary of signing a 12 month contract at this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭lycan238

muffler wrote: »
    You're on the pigs back so if I'm reading things right. Follow the link provided by Nava a few posts back (I had to click twice on it btw before it worked) and half price is available for some packs up to 24th December for returning customers :)

Hello there I did read it last night but my understanding is that the offer is for original only not variety correct me if I am wrong please. TV pretty decent over Christmas anyway so not too bothered about not getting it back until january or even july next year gonna have a busy few months

Advertisement