Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freeview channels on old sky box

• 21-09-2008 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

I am getting sky+ installed next week, I was told (not by sky!!!) that I can keep and still use my old box in another room to get free to air channels, how do i set this up and what do i need?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

The installer will do everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Not Freeview. That's UK tv via aerial

Freesat = UK free channels via dish.

You just need an extra cable from dish to the room you want the other Sky receiver.

go Sky News 501
    press interactive
    After it is loaded remove card

Press backup and ignore errors and do not put card in.

The UK EPG with missing UK channels will load. Return to Irish EPG (no extra free channels and missing UK channnels) by re-inserting card.

Some Sky receivers will show UK EPG if plugged in without card. Some remain on Irish EPG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

watty wrote: »

You just need an extra cable from dish to the room you want the other Sky receiver.

go Sky News 501
    press interactive

The UK EPG with missing UK channels will load. Return to Irish EPG (no extra free channels and missing UK channnels) by re-inserting card.

Some Sky receivers will show UK EPG if plugged in without card. Some remain on Irish EPG.

I think he means FTA channels.

Usually the installer will run a third line to the other room and install the normal box there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

I tried that once, before ITV went FTA, and I lost all the encrypted channels off the EPG. I never could get that to work again, but it would have been handy. No annoying "Insert your Sky Viewing Card" message when flicking through the channels you cant receive anyway (if your using the box just for FTA). To be honest though OP, you should consider getting the installer to run two cables to wherever you want that second box, and invest in a Freesat PVR unit, that will at least let you record the UK channels which a Sky+ box wont let you do unless the channel is on the EPG.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Ferny

the guy who came to install sky+ told me to just hook up old box in another room to one of the spare ports on the dish and i would get any free channels... thanks everyone for your input

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭weedfreedomtinp

if you pull your card out of a irish box it arranges the bbc channels ,, thanks for this post

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭danois

Ferny wrote: »
    the guy who came to install sky+ told me to just hook up old box in another room to one of the spare ports on the dish and i would get any free channels... thanks everyone for your input

Do you mind me asking what he charged you to run the second line I had a sky installer offer to do it for €100 i thought that was way to high!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭John mac

this thread is a year old...

i would have thought 100 a bit high (but depends on difficulty of install)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 corkonian0110

im a complete newbie to sky but I have a skybox and dish, do i need a card to get the free channels??

im a complete newbie to sky but I have a skybox and dish, do i need a card to get the free channels??

no

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭mchammer

go Sky News 501
    press interactive

Hi all,
    Does anyone know if this still works as described above??
    Cheers
    MC

yes (but not in the new edition HD box)

thanks for reply - i got this to work ok except the RF2 output seems to be disabled when I removed the card i.e. I can't use the remote sky eye to control the box anymore from a different room. Do you know if this output is disabled when the card is removed??
    Thanks
    Mc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Hi there..

No,it's nothing to do with the card....

It's somewhere in the settings...

I think it's in the "Hidden menu". If I'm correct,,it's .......

1. Turn on your Sky + box

2. Press the "Services" button on your Sky box.

3. Then press 4 and 0 and 1 ..(you won't see the "0"...it's hidden, just press it)

Select
    RF Outlets

You should be able to access the RF outlet settings from there.

Thanks for reply - I actually tried that and it doesn't seem to let me into the installer menu for accessing the option for RF out setting - will get a multimeter and check to see if there is any voltage coming out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Bummer...

I think you would need to be pressing the buttons fairly quick. Is it a Sky+ box that you have?

I'll check if I gave you the right instructions.

Just in case....It's best to follow this here...

http://www.wiredhomeguide.co.uk/audiovisual/rf_active.htm

services,4,0,1,select

5 button presses.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Erper

hi guys...
    i have sky hd and i cant manage to sort reset for freeview chanels so i can have bbc1 on 101 not on 141... does anyone knows how to fix this...

also, i was trying to add some channels but everytime i add them, sky box send me a note that there is no signal, so i have to switch to second antena connection on the back so i can get signal on..
    than, when i scan again for same channels after 2-3 second he tells me that there is no channels on those frequencies ...

any solution to that...

thx

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Feardorca

Hi All is it possible to get a TV with Saorview tuner installed also a Freesat Tuner to eliminate STB. Thanks Guys

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Feardorca wrote: »
    Hi All is it possible to get a TV with Saorview tuner installed also a Freesat Tuner to eliminate STB. Thanks Guys

hi, yes, I've one, it's a LG, built in freesat and mpeg 4 tuner. Can't remember the model, checking now., its a 37LF7700, bought it online 'bout 18months ago

• Advertisement

any solution for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Feardorca

hi, yes, I've one, it's a LG, built in freesat and mpeg 4 tuner. Can't remember the model, checking now., its a 37LF7700, bought it online 'bout 18months ago
    Thanks IRISHGROVER that's great, is the MPEG 4 Tuner capability the critical element to get Saorview

Erper wrote: »
    hi guys...
    i have sky hd and i cant manage to sort reset for freeview chanels so i can have bbc1 on 101 not on 141... does anyone knows how to fix this...

also, i was trying to add some channels but everytime i add them, sky box send me a note that there is no signal, so i have to switch to second antena connection on the back so i can get signal on..
    than, when i scan again for same channels after 2-3 second he tells me that there is no channels on those frequencies ...

any solution to that...

thx

You can't reorder the channel lineup on a sky box.
    have you got both connections connected , or just one?
    are you paying sky, or are you trying to use the box just for the free channels?

John mac wrote: »
    You can't reorder the channel lineup on a sky box.
    have you got both connections connected , or just one?
    are you paying sky, or are you trying to use the box just for the free channels?

im using only 1 connection for the box
    im not paying, im just using freeview channels...
    on youtube i saw a few guys who did order channels by pulling card out of working sky, than turning off sky by pulling cable out... after 10-15sec box was connected with power cable again, turned on tv and first channel on 101 was bbc1...
    and one of guys was from ireland...
    maybe the only difference would be that guy was doing it with sky+ and im with sky hd... but still doesn't make any sense

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭MACHEAD

If your using one of the newer Sky HD boxes, and it had previously an irish sky subscription, then it may be fixed to the irish epg. (RTÉ 1 @ 101, BBC 1 @ 141 etc).

Otherwise remove the viewing card (if there is one), swith off the box at the mains. Power it back up again, go to Sky News (Ch 501), press RED to enter interactive services, when interactive launches, quit out of interactive.

Press 'Guide' and see if it has changed to the UK guide, if not, then you may have one of the types that are locked.

Someone more experienced with HD receivers on the boards here may know whither or not a forced firmware upgrade might change it to default (UK mode).

yup thats it. dont think it will revert to ukepg with forced update.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

Similar question.Brother just moved into a house that the previous tenant had sky and he left the dish, box and remote but no card.How would I go about getting the FTA chanels on this box.It was not used for about 6 months so it may be dead I am not sure.

Ronin247 wrote: »
    Similar question.Brother just moved into a house that the previous tenant had sky and he left the dish, box and remote but no card.How would I go about getting the FTA chanels on this box.It was not used for about 6 months so it may be dead I am not sure.

just turn on sky....
    it might need bit od tunning of dish, since it hasnt been used for 6 months....

Ronin247 wrote: »

plug it in, connect to the tv and away you go.

• Advertisement

MACHEAD wrote: »
    If your using one of the newer Sky HD boxes, and it had previously an irish sky subscription, then it may be fixed to the irish epg. (RTÉ 1 @ 101, BBC 1 @ 141 etc).

Otherwise remove the viewing card (if there is one), swith off the box at the mains. Power it back up again, go to Sky News (Ch 501), press RED to enter interactive services, when interactive launches, quit out of interactive.

Press 'Guide' and see if it has changed to the UK guide, if not, then you may have one of the types that are locked.

Someone more experienced with HD receivers on the boards here may know whither or not a forced firmware upgrade might change it to default (UK mode).

ive tried it... not working

Advertisement