Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tooway kbo

• 05-11-2011 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Can't find any reviews about Tooway kbo satellite broadband.

This one:
    http://www.toowaysatellitebroadband.ie/solutions/

I think its fairly new.
    Any comments at all would be most welcome.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Plenty of posts in the Midband forum. Thread moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭bealtine

Hi All,

Can't find any reviews about Tooway kbo satellite broadband.

This one:
    http://www.toowaysatellitebroadband.ie/solutions/

I think its fairly new.
    Any comments at all would be most welcome.

Thanks for reading.

Satellite is not really broadband so don't be fooled by the glossy brochures:

http://irelandoffline.org/2011/09/satellite-is-not-really-broadband/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Plaxton

Hi all

I trawled the net before I signed up for KBO tooway, there was no information, so I took a chance, so far I am pleased, so these are my thoughts!

Two months ago I contacted KBO and signed up for the tooway 8 package. everything went perfect, the KBO guys were helpful.

negatives-
    IP address - it currenlty recognises the IP address as somewhere in italy, which is annoying and prevents accessing parts of the RTE player. This will be rectified in Janurary I have been assured.

The latency is noticeable, but it is not a problem. The system is still much faster than the less than 1mb that eircom could give me. There is no doubt that a good cable broadband is preferrable, but in rural Ireland, this was my only option.

the upload / download limit has not been a problem so far.

Positives -
    I now have much faster broadband, I can watch tv, or youtube videos without constant buffering, uploads and downloads are much faster.

I canceled the phone line. I now have VOIP from blueface and kept my geographic number. Overall the Blueface / Tooway service is cheaper than Eircom with poor broadband and overpriced line rental.

House Alarm - my big concern was the burgler alarm, I was afraid this would not work over VOIP - it works perfect!

I installed a Linksys Pap2 Voip gateway, and connected this to the redundant eircom box, and all the old hardware, works exactly as before.

So if you are struggling with less then 1mb from eircom, then KBO tooway is a viable alternative.

I hope this was helpful.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭bealtine

Plaxton wrote: »
    the upload / download limit has not been a problem so far.

Wait until there is a Service Pack for windows or office...then you'll see the limits in action.
    (if you use windows obviously)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Red Harvest

bealtine wrote: »
    Wait until there is a Service Pack for windows or office...then you'll see the limits in action.
    (if you use windows obviously)

I doubt he'll have enough bandwitdth left to reply ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭zg3409

Your house alarm will no longer work when the mains fails. Thus if a burgular cuts the power before entering the monitoring company will not be notified.

There are 3G mobile phone alternatives for monitoring an alarm that do not use a phone line and can still work during a power cut.

The main issue with continuing to use the current system is that if you got a house contents insurance reduction for the alarm this may now be invalid, as the alarm no longer meets the minimum spec. so your house insurance may be invalid.

And yes, satellite broadband is very expensive and has lots of catches. Long contract, tiny download limit. If you can get other types of internet they probably will be better value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 kncy

Hi lads

Im thinking of getting satellite broadband as i can't get internet where i am,all i want it for is browsing and watching a small bit of youtube, I went onto KBO's website and the prices look good for the packages you are getting.

Has anyone being installed by KBO tooway and whats the internet like?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 thykingdomcome

got kbo broadband installed in december, having no trouble so far.
    speeds are very good compared with eircom. no more frustration waiting for websites to appear!
    install was done in an hour and i was up and running immediately.
    i think it probably advisable to go for the 52 euro per month package if you are going to be using you tube for any amount of time, just to be sure you don't go over your alllowance.
    all in all, delighted with kbo broadband. i am in a poor area for coverage and it has really improved my online work, i do alot of work online and it has made my life alot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 thykingdomcome

i have it installed for the last couple of months, having no problems, excellent speeds on tooway8 package. found the company very good to deal with.
    would recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Whats the speeds like with it?
    Did you go over the download limit yet seems like fairly low allowances a month on sattelite!!

• Advertisement

i got the tooway 8 package before Christmas, im getting 6mbs down and 2 mbps up,i have an allowance of 8 GB, so fair i am very happy with it, im getting excellent speeds and i haven't come close to exceeding my allowance, i use it mainly for browsing the web and watching youtube.

I hope this is helpful!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 ida21

Well I dont know how long you watch you tube in a MONTH but if 8GB is enough about 2 DVDs worth in a MONTH, we'd use that in a weekend or or one day! All for 50 euro pretty expensive for a couple of DVDs worth of you tube viewing! Try it and see.............

I don't use the internet alot so thats why i went for the tooway 8 plus we can't get internet where we are so its perfect, but if i was watching alot of dvd's on it i would have gone for a higher package

Thanks for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭tonymontana82

i have it installed for the last couple of months, having no problems, excellent speeds on tooway8 package. found the company very good to deal with.
    would recommend.

i found the quality of workmanship fairly poor to be honest, left mess after them from drilling & could barely speak basic english to me when i asked questions about the system. two polish guys i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭oncevotedff

I paid €140 for unlimited download but of course there is no such thing. They set a limit of 25gb and once you reach that your download speed slows down to zip.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭tonymontana82

i found the quality of workmanship fairly poor to be honest, left mess after them from drilling & could barely speak basic english to me when i asked questions about the system. two polish guys i think.

They returned & rectified the problem so no problems anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Muilleann

Hi,
    Am seriously thinking of going for this as we've no Eircom broadband connection out the country where we live and the 3G modem connection we currently use is not very good to say the least.

Can anyone out there relate their (recent) experience of KBO satellite broadband connection?

Thanks.

Muilleann wrote: »
    Hi,
    Am seriously thinking of going for this as we've no Eircom broadband connection out the country where we live and the 3G modem connection we currently use is not very good to say the least.

Can anyone out there relate their (recent) experience of KBO satellite broadband connection?

Thanks.

Firstly is the cost. Usually two year minimum term, so total cost is very, very high. Your probably talking €1,000 contract so think carefully.
    Secondly it is of no use for gaming, or downloading lots like movies etc.

It can be quite fast, but then it can be slow as everyone on satellite in Ireland is basically sharing the one connection. Also over time as more and more houses are added it will slow more and more.

I would first exhaust 3G options. Generally 3G will be better and cheaper. Have you checked the speed on all providers? Vodafone, Three, Meteor & 02? Each of these have different coverage and different speeds in different areas. Most of them offer a trial period, but be sure to return it within the trial time. Always try to use the dongle in the location with the best signal, try all rooms and options.

Also have you looked at contacting any fixed wireless providers? Just because your telephone line can't provide broadband, and 3G can be slow does not mean satellite is your ownly option. In many areas companies such as digiweb offer fixed wireless. Some of them can be very slow but often if you pay more you get better speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Niamh108

I've been with KBO for a few months now and I'm very happy with it. I think their unlimited download over night facility on my package will be useful and their d speed of 20mbps and u speed of 6 are fine. Never had a problem except when I moved the furniture around and did not connect up properly.

Niamh108 wrote: »
    I've been with KBO for a few months now and I'm very happy with it. I think their unlimited download over night facility on my package will be useful and their d speed of 20mbps and u speed of 6 are fine. Never had a problem except when I moved the furniture around and did not connect up properly.

Thanks Niamh,

Still had'nt done anything but are sick of 3G modem which is crap and from what you say KBO satellite connection actually works which is what we want,sometimes it can take us nearly 20 mins just to get connected and often connection just freezes/crashes.

By the way what are KBO quoting you?
    I think previous poster's figures cannot be right.

Muilleann.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Niamh108

Hi

I'm paying just a tad under 60 euro a month but they have a cheaper one. Check their site I'm not sure of the details.

Regards

Niamh108 wrote: »
    Hi

I'm paying just a tad under 60 euro a month but they have a cheaper one. Check their site I'm not sure of the details.

Regards

Thanks.

Will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭doubter

I've ordered digiweb tooway 2 weeks ago, got it installed a week ago and am delighted. I'm flying it. Have wireless router with it, went for the 30 gig pack, am watching Netflix, life streaming , online tv, games on Facebook, no problems. can only recommend.
    :D

Hi Doubter,
    How much is your package costing you?
    Muilleann.

hiya,
    I'm paying 77 euro a month and it's well worth it..:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭clansman

Can the people who have tooway post a few speed test result from www.speedtest.net
    I currently have 3G with Three(the only isp that has a 3G signal in my area) and I get about .2mbps in the evening
    also I recently got a wireless connection and that isn't any better..
    I have no option of wired connection in my area because eircom decided not to roll out broadband.

I used to lived in a city for a good while and had the pleasure of UPC 30mbs unlimited. sigh** ah the good auld days.

anyways like watching a lot of online content with bbc/rte/3/4od players, youtube, and online tv like revision 3, twit.tv and so on.
    I am looking at the Tooway Max http://www.toowaydirect.com/purchase-euro/ with self install option. Is there anyone on this package?
    What is the difference between the above link and this http://www.digiweb.ie/home/tooway/packages/index.php

Beware of "unlimited" which is only when they decide so.

Satellite services are not suitable for TV streaming during the evening times, they simply haven't got the free bandwidth to hand out. I would expect on anything but the most expensive business package, that speeds will drop drastically if you download (or stream) lots in the evening times.

These sorts of services throttle per minute/per 5 minute/per hour depending on how much you download and how many other users are looking to use the same service at the same time. Thus even if you have not reached you monthly limit they can still throttle you, making streaming TV unwatchable.

60GB over a month in "pro" is €214.95 per month, so I would expect "unlimited" residential would be 40GB per month with throttling duing peak times. That would average 1.4GB per day.
    On all packages, speed may decrease after Fair Access allowance has been reached. Please refer to the FAP tables for further information
    http://www.onwave.ie/assets/fap.pdf

If I had no other choice but to go this route I would sign up to a cheaper package, and then upgrade if needed. It's always easy to upgrade any package with a phone call, but you can't downgrade if your in a 2 or 3 year contract. The basic 10GB allowance should do you for the first few months at least until you can try the service. There seems to be no speed difference, between the various packages, just the monthly limit.

Regarding the different companies
    Onwave are another Irish tooway supplier
    http://www.onwave.ie/packages/broadband

A better price may be had going via national broadband scheme (if available to you)
    http://www.onwave.ie/nbs

They all are basically pedalling the exact same identical product under different names/prices and terms. The main thing to watch out is minimum contract term, total overall price over contract term and for tooway direct, self install might be a challenge for some people.

There is a reason satellite internet is in "midband" section on boards.ie

zg3409 wrote: »
    Beware of "unlimited" which is only when they decide so.

Satellite services are not suitable for TV streaming during the evening times, they simply haven't got the free bandwidth to hand out. I would expect on anything but the most expensive business package, that speeds will drop drastically if you download (or stream) lots in the evening times.

Rubbish. I'm watching netflix and am streaming movies with no problems what so ever.Just let it sit fro about 2 minutes to preload and no problems

clansman wrote: »
    Can the people who have tooway post a few speed test result from www.speedtest.net
    I currently have 3G with Three(the only isp that has a 3G signal in my area) and I get about .2mbps in the evening
    also I recently got a wireless connection and that isn't any better..
    I have no option of wired connection in my area because eircom decided not to roll out broadband.

I used to lived in a city for a good while and had the pleasure of UPC 30mbs unlimited. sigh** ah the good auld days.

anyways like watching a lot of online content with bbc/rte/3/4od players, youtube, and online tv like revision 3, twit.tv and so on.
    I am looking at the Tooway Max http://www.toowaydirect.com/purchase-euro/ with self install option. Is there anyone on this package?
    What is the difference between the above link and this http://www.digiweb.ie/home/tooway/packages/index.php

speednet net isn't suitable to test satellite speeds. Digiweb has their own tool which shows me speeds between 18 and 20 mb download and around 6 mb upload.Speedtest is only suitable for fixed broadband, something to do with a static ip address as i queried that with digiweb

• Advertisement

doubter wrote: »
    Beware of "unlimited" which is only when they decide so...Rubbish. I'm watching netflix and am streaming movies with no problems what so ever.Just let it sit fro about 2 minutes to preload and no problems

My concern if on the basic pack of 10GB per month, may only allow:

Say for example Netflix
    “Good quality” consumes up to 0.3 GB per hour, “Better quality” burns up to 0.7 GB per hour, and “Best quality” consumes up to 1 GB per hour for standard definition or 2.3 GB per hour for HD.

So say you use best quality. That means after 10 hours netflex in a month, you have your limit reached. That's fine for a few movies, watching youtube but not really practical for heavy downloads.

Some streaming services do not give an option on quality.

If the unlimited is say really 40GB, you get 4 times the amount, but possibly throttles during peak times.

How much traffic do you use in a month? How many hours movie streaming. Personally I use 200GB average, but I would be a high user.

If you have no other option then it is quite high peak speeds. As more and more users are added over the years it will slow a little. However I would not encourage users to start watching movies regularly, or they could find the "fair access policy" or the monthly limit hit them hard.

Advertisement