Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics Card upgrade

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Just to report back. Seems to be going well. Feckin' 76 odd GB download for CoD. I do think the game may have a little stutter here and there which could be a performance issue, or else it's built into the game because of the story. I've only played for an hour or so and don't know if there's a pattern. Elsewhere, the machine is going well. Scanning documents into the printer - certainly faster in processing those.

I've not yet hooked up the old HD yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Whats up all. I want to hijack this thread too.

Same question as everyone else. I want to upgrade my graphics card, but I am not sure whether I should be looking to upgrade the whole motherboard.

Mobo: MSI Intel Z270 PC MATE 7th/6th Gen USB2 Motherboard

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N4KIUWM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Processor: Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8 GHz QuadCore 6 MB Cache CPU - Black

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MRRPPQS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ideally, I'd spend 400 or 500 euro with the aim to get a very good FPS while playing first person shooter games at moderate settings on an Ultra Wide HD monitor.

Either a 2070 or something from the next gen of nvidia cards released in September (anyone who has thoughts on that decision would be very much appreciated too).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,689 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

You don't need to upgrade unless the next-gen cards require more bandwidth than PCIe 3.0 x16 can provide (very unlikely).

However, it's possible that you'll be held back by the 4core/4thread i5 CPU you have; at which point switching to AMD is a good option - Ryzen 3-3300X, 3600 or 3700X (unless you find i7-7700K for under 150eur).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    You don't need to upgrade unless the next-gen cards require more bandwidth than PCIe 3.0 x16 can provide (very unlikely).

However, it's possible that you'll be held back by the 4core/4thread i5 CPU you have; at which point switching to AMD is a good option - Ryzen 3-3300X, 3600 or 3700X (unless you find i7-7700K for under 150eur).

Great advice. Does a CPU upgrade require a different socket and therefore different motherboard?

Yes. You'll need a new Motherboard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭Homelander

It's not a question of possible, most of the latest FPS games have hiccups on an i5 like that.

Battlefield or Modern Warfare are two examples of games which really don't like 4/4 processors and are frequently pegged at 100% with stutters.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I had DDR3 (8GB-Kit G.Skill RipJaws-X PC3-12800U CL9) leftover from the original build I referenced in the OP, since the upgrade moved things to DDR4. I tried throwing that old RAM into this other old build which used 8GB G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9.

It showed as 12GB and not 16. I put in the x 2 8GB-Kit G.Skill RipJaws-X PC3-12800U CL9 and Windows only recognised 8GB, so I went back to the 12GB. Not a huge issue, really, still a nippy enough yolk.

Was also gonna use the old GPU, but the monitor is VGA.

Advertisement