Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Idiots' Guide to Solar Lights

Options
  • 23-07-2020 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭

I bought a solar light in Dealz recently. One of those pencil like ones. It cost I think €1.50. There was no sticker you pull away from the battery (?). The battery is encased and not changeable. A very simple solar light. I managed to get it to work. You turn the switch on and stick it in the ground. I was delighted to see it shining away.

But later on, there was no light. It must have lasted only a few hours. I am not sure how long.

So what is the story with this? This is summer and if it is all day in the light outside and lasts only a short few hours, is that it? I mean what's the point of them? Why is it lasting such a short time? If I wanted a solar light to last longer (as in all night which is what I though they would be doing) what should I be looking for? Does it depend on the battery size and if so what should I be looking for?

Comments

What do you expect for 1.50?
    Absolute crap.
    Should be banned imo because they go straight to landfill pretty much.batteries and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Absolute crap.
    Should be banned imo because they go straight to landfill pretty much.batteries and all.

To be honest I did not expect much at all.

Are there solar lights out there that light all night long? How much are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,050 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You would probably want to be paying fairly serious money for a solar light that actually works for a few hours per night. They can be got, but not for 1.50. I did get some years ago that I paid a half reasonable price for and they did glow dimly for a few hours per night, for one season.

Best one in our house, someone brought in some yokes that just looked like lightbulbs. One was hung in the window in full sun for several hours then after dark switched on. It literally flashed, maybe 2 seconds. That was it. I think it was also in the 1.50 category.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

looksee wrote: »
    You would probably want to be paying fairly serious money for a solar light that actually works for a few hours per night. They can be got, but not for 1.50. I did get some years ago that I paid a half reasonable price for and they did glow dimly for a few hours per night, for one season.

Best one in our house, someone brought in some yokes that just looked like lightbulbs. One was hung in the window in full sun for several hours then after dark switched on. It literally flashed, maybe 2 seconds. That was it. I think it was also in the 1.50 category.

I see. I think I will give the solar light experience a miss. I did get that lightbulb thing also just to see what it was like. It never worked.
    I know these things cost nothing but if that experience is replicated with more expensive ones for me they would need to work for longer than a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Failure point on them is moisture ingress. If you can seal them up you might have some hope.

You might get it to work once it’s gotten some sun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

i have some solar lights on fence posts. not for security lighting, just bit of decoration
    work well, none of the 6 failed and this is 3rd year.
    they are not going to shine very bright but so far so good. winter time might get a few hours at most, but summer time, well into the night.
    Amazon -> Litom solar
    i'm sure there are crap models and good ones

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Is there such a thing as an outdoor solar light that lasts?

I’ve gone with the fairly cheap type from Home Store & More, and frankly got more life out of them than I expected, but of course they eventually gave up the ghost.

Wouldn’t mind paying for good ones as long as they’re not going to end up going to crap after a few months (or year or two)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I got some nice glass bricks in B&Q last year, ~7€ each
    Doing great this year too. The top and sides are solid glass so it's harder for the water to drip in (still rising damp)

I got really fine fairy lights, lasted a season and the joint between the lights and the wire from the baterry corroded.
    Also got a large panel light for the shed insides, and the solder joint on the soldere panel failed. probably water ingress. Gonna just put some recharagble double AA's on the end of the shed light instead (it's only for ocassional use)

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Absolute crap.
    No, under W.I.I.I. regulations they must be disposed of at a designated facility, usually provided at Council recycling centres. See links below:

http://weee.ie/?page_id=182

http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-water-waste-and-environment-waste-and-recycling-recycling-services/weee-and

Retailers are also required to accept for disposal electrical goods for which the customer is purchasing a direct replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Doop

I bought these earlier this summer to give them a shot.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B074PR9SDR/ref=custom?smid=&psc=1&pf_rd_p=efa900db-6f98-4edb-a0f8-238e37e16a6b&pf_rd_r=26e33af7-4798-4423-842f-91d0cc15e34c&pd_rd_wg=U8dTc&pd_rd_i=B074PR9SDR&pd_rd_w=c3Sra&pd_rd_r=26e33af7-4798-4423-842f-91d0cc15e34c

Have to say they are brilliant so much so I bought 3 more sets. That being said I cant comment on longevity as I've only had them up for a couple of months. I am hopeful they will last a cople of years at least but only time will tell. They feel and seem of good robust quality. Reviews on amazon are decent and they are IP65 rated (re weather/water proofing) IP65 is about as good as you will get for outdoor electrics, pleanty of hardwired garden lights would give a lower rating and still function fine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement