Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you put an SSD in this?

• 20-07-2020 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭

Apologies, Im not great at the old upgrading of laptops so need advice and help

I own this laptop below for basic admin duties but since covid I am remote working using amazon workspace and sometimes amazon GUAWs (Web based client) and Microsoft teams(which is killing my laptop slowing it right down). and a voip system

This laptop has been factory reset but I want to make it that bit faster and I'm wondering is it possible to put an SSD into it?

I don't have the money to upgrade my laptop so trying to think of cheaper alternative options

If SSD is not possible then maybe a Ram upgrade!?

I would be bringing it to a store OR asking someone who is fairly handy to do it for me (paid of course)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-Satellite-C50-B-14D-Intel%C2%AE-Portable/dp/B00LZWCGWW

Comments

up to 8gb ram can go in also

should be a handy enough job, a youtube video no doubt exists that would cover it

backing up/mirroring is almost the complicated bit tbh, have you much stuff you need to bring or by any chance would a clean reinstall work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

up to 8gb ram can go in also

should be a handy enough job, a youtube video no doubt exists that would cover it

backing up/mirroring is almost the complicated bit tbh, have you much stuff you need to bring or by any chance would a clean reinstall work

Nothing at all, any files or programs I have are replaceable and I only did a clean reset/reinstall recently

Prob a stupid question but is it normally better to do a Ram upgrade or SSD?

Not sure how much costs I'm looking at (I know it will depends on the ram etc) but I could spend around the 150 mark

depends on what actual issues you are running into but as a rule i think hdd to ssd is usually the single quickest win you can do for something like this

its a no brainer, tbh

when things are really crawling have you opened yr task/resource manager and seen what is juddering? that might save you upgrading ram at this stage if budget was a major concern

4gb is quite low but your use case and processor are hardly big pullers, you might be ok in the short term- ive a small unit for the tv and i put 8gb ram into it along with an ssd in a similar vein a few years ago and ill be damned if i ever saw it go over the 4gb usage since

if you wanted another year out of it id prob get in the extra ram tho

crucial site, as a rough guide, yank dollars, says two sticks of 4gb and a 500gb ssd comes in around 120 bucks, so your budget would cover you to get it all done id say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,694 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

The CPU is what's killing it though (Intel Celeron N2830, 2core/2thread @ 2.16GHz).
    You're removing a bottleneck but it's like putting lipstick on a pig.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,162 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Ive put SSDs in similarly underpowered systems before. Made barely any difference.

handy to do it for me (paid of course)

Lets say a €50 ssd and €30 in labor. Thats already spending twice what the laptop is worth. That chip sucked in 2014 when it was released, its weaker than a midrange smartphone today. Speak to your employer about providing the tools you need to do your job.

Advertisement