Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Building a new PC for the first time

• 17-07-2020 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all, I'm not very experienced with PC building or parts in general, but I've been hoping to build a decent one that'll be good for at least 4-5 years in the future, not to run everything in Ultra HD graphics perhaps, but that I don't have to think about whether or not I can run the new stuff. Please take a look at this list, I put this together on pcpartpicker but I'm not allowed to post links:

Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3400G 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Processor

RAM: HYPERX FURY 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ, HX426C16FB3/16

SSD: Crucial MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Graphics: XFX Radeon RX 580 8 GB GTS XXX ED Video Card

Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 750 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24D5MT DVD/CD Writer

This is what I have so far, and the site says there's no issue but I'd rather be sure, my shopping places are limited to the ones where I can buy components on rates, so ordering from abroad isn't an option. I'm looking more for possible warnings/suggestions regarding this setup, if you have a better component with similar price range to suggest, I'll gladly look up in the shops to see if they have it in stock.

1. What is your budget? 1k euros

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Windows 10, yes

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No

5. Do you need a monitor? No

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? No

8. How can you pay? Buying on rates hopefully with a credit card in Bosnia

9. When are you purchasing? ASAP, I'm planning to buy my current configuration by monday unless something pops up

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Tuzla, Bosnia, I don't expect to find anyone here who is near me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

That GPU is hopeless, what sort of games do you want to play?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 CanWeBuildIt

Nothing in specific, just that I don't have to worry whether I can run stuff at all in upcoming years. Does GIGABYTE AMD RADEON RX5500XT OC 8GB DDR6 sound any better as alternative? It's a bit more expensive but still doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭JoyPad

That build is very unbalanced.
    You should replace the CPU with either a 2600 (same price, but 6-cores/12-threads) or 3600 (bit more expensive, but will last longer), because you don't need the Vega graphics.

You can get a cheaper motherboard, if you do not want to try overclocking, save some cash.
    Also, save some more with a smaller PSU, you won't need 750W.
    Last but not least, save money on Windows license and CD/DVD unit. You can download Windows 10 for free and activate later. The CD/DVD unit you can buy later, when needed, something external.

And definitely a better GPU, as advised above.
    Better yet, wait for KoKiki or someone to give you a better balanced build.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

Put an M.2 NVME SSD in it rather than the SATA 2.5in, much better performance

• Registered Users Posts: 3 CanWeBuildIt

Ok guys, my thoughts so far are:

Keep the Tomahawk motherboard and upgrade to 3600 for CPU

Maybe replace the SSD with this:

Kingston SSD 1TB A2000 PCIe M.2 2280,NVMe PCIe Gen 3.0x4 2,200/2,000MB/s SA2000M8/1000G

As far as GPU is concerned, I'll just list some of the ones that I can get in a price range that I find comfortable:

first store:

ASUS AMD RADEON DUAL-RX5500-O8G-EVO 8GB DDR6
    GIGABYTE NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX1660S GAMING 6GB DDR6
    GIGABYTE NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX1660S OC 6GB DDR6
    INNO3D NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1660 TWIN X2 6GB DDR5
    GIGABYTE AMD RADEON RX5500XT GAMING 8GB DDR6

then from another store:

SAPPHIRE PULSE RADEON RX 5500 XT 8G GDDR6 HDMI/TRIPLE DP OC W/BP (UEFI)
    ASUS VGA PH-GTX1660S-6G NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6GB GDDR6
    ASUS VGA PH-GTX1660-6G NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 6GB GDDR5

then the last one:

MSI AMD RADEON RX 5500 8GB
    GIGABYTE VGA GV-R55XTOC-8GD

I am aware that most of these are probably not good, but to be honest, graphic card prices here are ridiculous and they really overprice everything. Another one of the limiting things is that I'm trying to buy all of these on rates, otherwise I could probably look further and get a good one for a better price someplace, but my hands are tied.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Another one of the limiting things is that I'm trying to buy all of these on rates, otherwise I could probably look further and get a good one for a better price someplace, but my hands are tied.

No idea what "on rates" means. Do you have vouchers or store credit? Or is it like an installments plan, where you pay something up front, and then monthly payments that you can afford?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,694 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

It could just be related to the fact OP is buying in/shipping to Bosnia.
    GIGABYTE NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX1660S GAMING 6GB DDR6
    GIGABYTE NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX1660S OC 6GB DDR6

Either of those, in this order - Gaming OC has the better cooler with 3 fans + 3 heatpipes, vs OC's 2 fans & 1 heatpipe.

The GTX 1660 Super is about 28% faster than RX 580/5500 XT cards; and 12% faster than GTX 1660.

Advertisement