Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭CrazyChick18

For Girls I love the names:
    -Leaha
    -Alanna/Alannah
    -Ava
    -Courtney
    -Sophie

And for boys:
    -Jay or Jayden
    -Aidan
    -Jamie
    -Callum
    -Kyle

and for twins:)

girls
    -hannah & emma
    -maddie & makayla

boys
    -jay & jamie
    -dylan & rian

girl&boy
    -sarah & sean
    -chloe & cody

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

-Leaha
    -Jay or Jayden

Is that another version of Leah? How do you pronounce it?

There are going to be hundreds of Jaydens filling up the primary schools in 5 years time!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

We did love Emma but it so popular and don't want her to be one of four Emmas in her class. Does anyone think Sadhbh would be too hard on a kid living in the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ash.c

Some of my favourite names...

Boys:
    Jayden
    Kaiden
    Kai
    Dylan
    Ryan
    Corey

Girls:
    Layla
    Leia (Laya)
    Leah
    Mia
    Halle
    Kayla
    Abi

marylamb wrote: »
    We did love Emma but it so popular and don't want her to be one of four Emmas in her class. Does anyone think Sadhbh would be too hard on a kid living in the UK?

Emma is extremely popular here too. I love Sadhbh, it's different but is easy to pronounce - Sive. It's just the spelling that's problematic, unless you want to spell it ala John B.Keane's play 'Sive'. In fairness, in the UK, they're likely to have far more multicultural classrooms than over here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

marylamb wrote: »

I think Emma is a lovely name, but as you say 'its very popular' at the moment, but then you mention 'Sadhbh' which I cant even pronounce myself! (Five with an S)??? You will for sure run into pronunciation problems in some parts of the UK (specifically England), although it might be recognised in some other parts of the UK, like Northern Ireland & Scotland? but I think even here in the Republic some will struggle with 'Sadhbh' . . .

Camelot wrote: »
    but then you mention 'Sadhbh' which I cant even pronounce myself! (Five with an S)??? You will for sure run into pronunciation problems in some parts of the UK (specifically England)

Exactly, 'Five' with an 's', it's easy to pronounce! In my school I have a Piotr, Vtokej(I think), Prezmek and Ndoda, to name a few. In the UK, they have a far larger spread of nationalities.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Richiecats

Everything was a bit of a rush for us, found out at 18 weeks we were having a baby, only time for one scan, then son was born at 24 weeks 4 days. Picked on Sean, which later found out means gift from god, and 2 years on he is doing well. So even with your plans it would be best to make a final choice when the little fella pops out. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Chuchu

Wow Richiecats... did you really mean 24 weeks and not 34??!! Thats incredible if so... must have been very nerve wracking stuff.

We were going to go with Sadhbh but changed our minds at the last minute... I think it is really making a come back at the moment too though, so there might be a fair amount of them about. Not that it really matters that much if you really like a name. Ava is huge at the moment there are tons of them about but it really is a lovely name. But I think when you see them, if you've a few names in mind, you'll know which one is right when you meet them! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

We're expecting our 3rd daughter at the start of the new year and our favourite at the moment is Sophie, it fits well with our other daughters names Kate and Emily. My wife did like Beth but she hates the way I pronouce it :D
    I also liked Rose.

If it so happens to be a boy, not likely according to the scan, our first choice is Will after my grandad and another of our favourites is Noah.

The only problem is I think we decided on Sophie too early and every so often my wife goes off it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭chocolatepan

dont need any of these soon and my boyf has just left the room in fear!

girl

Anna ( after my mam Ann)
    May or Mae ( after my granny)
    I did like Isabelle until we got a dog by that name, great dog but couldnt do it to the child, also have a cat called Lucy, have to stop calling the animals human names!

Boy

Frankie
    Liam ( getting popular me thinks! )
    Oliver

My Dad wants a granddaughter called Daisy but I refuse, its cute for a kid but not for a grown woman!

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

Ugh!! I want to cry!! Stupid really, seeing as its not such a huge deal. But here we go.

I absoloutely LOVE the name Maya (pronounced My-Uh) It's just really grown on me! However I'm trying to think of spelling variations.

The problem? And the reason I ignored the name for so long? It's too like the name Mia (pronounced Me-Ah) which I despise. I Don't know why, it's like nails on a chalkboard to me. I like the spelling Mia unfortunately! I just can;t tolerate the thought of calling my daughter Maya and having it constantly mispronounced.

So here is my dilemma....spelling variations.

As far as I'm concerned the correct MAIN spelling is Maya....but lots of people say they would look at that and think May-ah.

Mya-- I would think this one would be obvious....but apparently a lot of people out there would think Me-ah looking at that.

I've also found:
    Miah
    Maiah
    Miyah

Can you think of anything else, or give me your opinion on favourite spelling? I suppose May-ah is a happier alternative to the dreaded Me-ah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭enzo7

not expecting,

But when i was pregnant with my first i was sooooo convinced i was having a boy we had chooses the name liam (always luved it!!) ended up having a girl ava (tooks us 4 days to decide on it) 2nd time was convinced it was a girl so had picked amiee and grace (someone suggested grace for dd1 but hated it at d time) but picked conor incase it was a boy,had a girl the 2nd i seen her i knew she was a grace!!

If i had another girls name prob go for would be

abbie
    mia
    lauren

Boys
    Billy
    jack

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I have a 9 month old boy called Aidan, his daddy and I are considering trying for another baby late next year we have the names already, Aisling (the name we had ready already in case Aidan was a girl) and Robert.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

enzo7 wrote: »
    not expecting,

But when i was pregnant with my first i was sooooo convinced i was having a boy we had chooses the name liam (always luved it!!) ended up having a girl ava (tooks us 4 days to decide on it) 2nd time was convinced it was a girl so had picked amiee and grace (someone suggested grace for dd1 but hated it at d time) but picked conor incase it was a boy,had a girl the 2nd i seen her i knew she was a grace!!

If i had another girls name prob go for would be

abbie
    mia
    lauren

Boys
    Billy
    jack
    you know one of the most beautiful names for a girl i have come across is anastasia

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭beauty101

I love really tradional names for boys:

William
    James
    Francis
    Stephen
    Freddie

And for girls:

Daisy
    Brooke
    Jessica (Jess/Jessie)
    Nicole
    Lourdes (i know its madonna's girls name but i think it's beautiful)
    Madison
    Frances

I made the mistake of picking a name too early...now I'm a little sick of it. Spent the last couple of days trying to think of some names I could consider

Some of the ones I've come up with are:

Maya
    Roselyn (ROSE-lynn, would most liekly be shortened to Rose)
    Eva
    Sophia
    Codagh
    Beabhin (Bev-in)
    Annabelle
    Lainey
    Lydia
    Juno (always loved the name, but now the movie has ruined it! Especially since my friend said to me...excellent...cause y'know...your knocked up...and she was knocked up...lovely. )

• Registered Users Posts: 29 BlackForestJule

I have a little girl called Emilia Marie and now no. 2 is on the way, but I have so many conditions attached to the right name that my head is spinning!
    BF's Irish, I'm German and the kid's'll have both surnames, so the name will have to suit both surnames, be reasonably easy to pronounce for both sides of the family, be either pronounced the same in both languages or be so specific as to have no differently-pronounced equivalent in the other language and - in case it's a boy, it'll also have to go with the middle name Rupert (which was my dad's middle name (his first name was Günter and I wouldn't do that to a child ;) ).
    And finally, I don't really want any of the top 10 names in either the German or the Irish statistics (even though there are a few that I like, like Hanna and Lukas). I'll probably ask whether it's a boy or girl, just to make my life easier...

M;y shortlist so far

girls

Mara Elina
    Olivia
    Maya/Maja (recently taken by a good friend, grrr)
    Carlotta
    Malena
    Mina/Meena

boys

Mattis
    Dominic
    Luis

For those of you still looking for inspiration, my friends/family named theirs in the past 10 years:

girls:
    Irish side: Zuhura, Sharifa (mixed background, so it does suit the kids), Molly, Mila, Noah, Jack, Finnian
    German side: Raquel, Hanna, Nele, Maya, Sophia Anna, Aurelia Livia

boys:
    Irish side:Adam, Anthony
    German side: Leon, Noah, Tom Konstantin, Ben Samuel, Paul Maria, Vincent

Recently met someone who named their son Síoda. I loved that, but I think it's too out there for me. I like quite a few Irish names, but I'm undecided as to whether they'd work for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭summerdreamn

I'm due in a week with our second child and we have not once discussed names! Our first child, Gabriella, was unamed for 3 weeks even though we had a 2 page list the last time. So....... keep the names coming :) My hubby wants a really Irish name but none of my family in Australia or the US will be able to pronounce or spell it properly and will wreck my head for the rest of my life. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I'm due in a week with our second child and we have not once discussed names! Our first child, Gabriella, was unamed for 3 weeks even though we had a 2 page list the last time. So....... keep the names coming :) My hubby wants a really Irish name but none of my family in Australia or the US will be able to pronounce or spell it properly and will wreck my head for the rest of my life. :)

I reckon if I have a girl this time around it won't have a name for a few days as I am so undecided!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

I reckon if I have a girl this time around it won't have a name for a few days as I am so undecided!
    there are many beautiful victorian names that are no longer used,my late mothers christian name was sarah ,i always wanted a baby girl and wanted to call her carina

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

I'm toying with Jacob or Zachary for a boy and Mae, Martha or Tammy for a girl. It keeps changing every week! The OH doesn't really like them but he hasn't even come up with 1 name himself!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

My daughters name is Rhiannon, it was the very first name that came to me when I was pregnant. I also toyed with Cerys/Carys, Imogen and Olivia but I just kept coming back to Rhiannon. Kept an open mind though and said I'd wait til she was born before deciding. As soon as I looked at my newborn baby, she looked like Rhiannon, which is probably ridiculous but I tried the other names, repeating them out loud when I was looking at her and they all felt wrong.

If I have another baby girl someday, I do like the name Mathilda.

I never even considered boys names and I'd find it really difficult now to find one I really love!

If I have a boy it will be Jack and if it's a girl it's between...

Imogen,
    Teagan,
    Phoebe,
    Saoirse,
    Aoife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Pretty_Pistol

Not planning on having a baby anytime soon but sure here's mine:

Esmé - My favourite but it doesn't get a good response when I say it to people.
    Elodie
    Julia

James - Don't like the nicknames though (Jim/Jimmy/Jimbob).
    Eli -Pronounced E-lie
    Miles
    Milo
    As a fad I really like the name Sawyer as a middle name. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

I think if we had a boy the poor thing would remain unnamed for ages as we never had a boys name in mind.
    Thankfully we had a scan to check the sex so when our little girl arrives she'll be named Rose.

I worked for a couple before that named their son 'Heinog'
    The childs grandfather was 'Heinrich', they wanted to name him after him but with an Irish connotation so they shortened it to 'Hein' and added the 'og' on the make it a bit more Irish.
    At least there's little chance of the kid bumping into anyone else with the same name :)

Cap -- like I said in othert hread, I think Rose is beautiful!

I don't want to single a name out just yet, as I had picked Maya for definite before, and now can't stand the sound of it! I'm afraid of doing thatto another name.

My three choices that I will be picking from once I see her gorgeous little face are

Isobel (Issie)
    Leah
    Rose - Lynn

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Girlfriend is due.. Well yesterday! Have kaya (Kai-a) picked out for a girl always loved that name what do you think?

Haven't a clue for a boy but we have kyle, shaun and jamie maybe, i think it'll be called Boy 1 for a few weeks lol

My sister has always said her first born daughter will be name Kaya. Not a huge fan of it myself but then again I am thinking of naming my daughter Phoebe or Teagan! It's a lovely name though.

Love Shaun and Jamie for a boy. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

baraca wrote: »
    Girlfriend is due.. Well yesterday! Have kaya (Kai-a) picked out for a girl always loved that name what do you think?

Haven't a clue for a boy but we have kyle, shaun and jamie maybe, i think it'll be called Boy 1 for a few weeks lol

Kaya is lovely.

I would say put james on the birth cert if you are going wth Jamie and then shorten it to Jamie. My husband is James and was always called Jamie but said by the time he hit his 20s it just didnt work and felt like a very childlike name so he wentback to his full name. Shaun is lovely but would you not be better with the spelling Sean? Dont really like Kyle.

I would say go with what you guys love and let us know waht you pick in the end. Best of luck to you and your GF

Advertisement