Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mountpleasant Buildings

• 20-07-2007 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭

May be the wrong place for this post, but does anyone know anything about the now demolished Mountpleasant Buildings? They stood near Mount Pleasant Square in Ranelagh. I think near where Swan Grove is now, but would anyone have an exact location, or photos? The only stuff I can find on the web about it are the Dail debates where TDs complain about the living conditions there, and discuss the anti-social behaviour.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭No Bills

donaghs,

You are right about the location. The Buildings appear on the Ordnance Survey 25inch:1mile map DN018-15 of circa 1910. I don't have any pictures for you. Maybe you could visit the Pearse Street Library and check with them (http://www.dublincity.ie/living_in_the_city/libraries/heritage_and_history/dublin_and_irish_collections/) ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

What a find that video is! I grew up around the corner from the buildings in the seventies. I think there might have only been the front blocks left then. Lots of squatters as far as I can remember. The shelftered housing for old folk and Swan Grove replaced them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Wow youtube has everything on it these days. When were they built OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

There, Hollyfield, and the civillian housing for Rathmines Army Barracks off Leinster Road were terrible by all accounts. I only witnessed the barracks meself, and it was chronic. The road in and around them had long disintegrated, and the railings along the second floor were gone in places, along with holes in the landing (they were fully occupied at the time).

Rathmines has always been odd like that, in that you have that kind of urban poverty mixed in closely with affluence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭donaghs

Here it is in the present day. Sorry, only camera phone photos. The second photo looks particularly out of place in what people think of as Ranelagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Dunner55

Does anyone remember the Dunne and broe family from
    The buildings

Advertisement