Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal Detectors in Ireland

• 22-11-2008 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone can either confirm the law concerning the use of Metal Detectors in Ireland or give a link. Are they totally illegal? Does anyone have one? etc. I know that in the UK you can use them on land as long as you have the land owners permission and you can use them on the coast as long as it is below the high tide mark. I have always thought I'd like to get one, and with christmas approaching, a few hints in the right ear and you never know. I know you can buy them freely in any number of outlets in Ireland, but is it the same rule as scanners, that it is illegal to use them but not illegal to sell them? quite stupid IMO.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭SPARTAN33

I have a viking v40 metal detector, i use it on private land grandparents land etc, but havent used it in a while only bought last year from the U.K. bought it for 400 euros, so its nealry new not muched used, would sell for 330 euros as it has cover for control box and disc cover as i bought those extra, i saw from your thread you were interested in buying one. Its a much better highter spec model thant the viking lower models than you get in some shops and to buy one here in the shops they charge very high prices for metal detectors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

I can't think of any reason why they might be illegal.

The only issue would be if you are trespassing on private property or taking possessions (stealing).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Firstly Vulcan, its not illegal to use a scanner in Ireland.
    Secondly a quick search came up with this archive. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-2055175834.html

Might be of some help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Here's a piece about a conviction in the midlands a few years ago. Do a google and you'll find a few related stories.

Metal detectors may lead to iron bars
    By Cormac O’Keeffe

DO NOT buy or accept metal detectors as presents this Christmas or you could end up spending the new year in jail, an expert warned yesterday. And shops and manufacturers were told not to advertise metal detectors as they were making potential criminals of buyers. Antiquities expert Dr Ned Kelly made the comments yesterday as selected items from a hoard of 800 artifacts, which were recovered from thieves, were put on display at the National Museum. “We would advise people coming up to Christmas, not to give or receive metal detectors. “They run the risk of finding themselves before the courts, and even run the risk of imprisonment,” Dr Kelly said. It is illegal to dig for archeological objects and to use metal detectors for such a purpose without a special licence. Dr Kelly said advertisements were running in national papers promoting metal detectors, including junior versions for €12.50. The National Museum’s antiquities curator said one supermarket was also promoting them, unaware they were making potential criminals of buyers. Dr Kelly unveiled a number of items recovered from a massive artifact theft involving more than 800 items. These included a rare gold covered Christian mount from Lorrha, Co Tipperary, featuring a crucifix in a circular frame. The mount is thought to have an insurance value to up to €50,000. Other items on display were two Bronze Age daggers, an Iron Age pin, musket balls and hundreds of perfectly preserved coins with the month and the year of minting still visible. “We are giving people an opportunity to see this significant and important material.
    Not to have documented it and the material collected would have been a significant loss,” said Dr Kelly. Anthony Molloy, a 68-year-old former Duchas employee, and his 44-year-old son Kevin, were last week found guilty at Birr District Court of being in the possession of archeological objects. Judge Michael Reilly gave them the probation act partly because they had co-operated fully with the National Museum. The court had heard that Anthony Molloy had been given a metal detector as a retirement present. The father and son went on to raid monastic sites and castles near their north Tipperary home. Dr Kelly advised people who have information on the use of metal detectors to contact the gardaí or the National Museum on 01-6777444.
    http://www.examiner.ie/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I think they are over doing it a bit in that article with all of the theft and raid type language. They seem to trying to make the two guys appear to be some hardened criminal gang up to no good. They were most likely only caught though once they eventually went along to some museum to enquire as to what one of the shiny things they had just found actually was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

Thanks folks for the replies. I think that given the circumstances, I'll not be getting one anyway soon. FC, I see what you mean by scanners not being strictly illegal, but, they are only leagal as long as you use them for listening to public broadcasts or frequencies that you have permission to listen to. If you are found with a scanner with àny frequency other than those saved, you can be done for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭cable842

vulcan I wouldnt let all that put me off ever kid growing up wants and have always wanted a Metal Detector.

Reading all the facts there I still would love to buy one as long as your let the owner of the land know what your doing and if you do find stuff you hand it in too the museum.

Its being broadcast onm national geograhic today it happened last terry jones we'll call him and a farm made a deal where terry would scout his land and if he found anything they would spilt it.

Anyway Terry found gold last year and they handed it into the museum and gave them him and the farmer 3.25million tax free.

Saying that it took terry 6 years too find the gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

cable842 wrote: »
    vulcan I wouldnt let all that put me off ever kid growing up wants and have always wanted a Metal Detector.

Reading all the facts there I still would love to buy one as long as your let the owner of the land know what your doing and if you do find stuff you hand it in too the museum.

Its being broadcast onm national geograhic today it happened last terry jones we'll call him and a farm made a deal where terry would scout his land and if he found anything they would spilt it.

Anyway Terry found gold last year and they handed it into the museum and gave them him and the farmer 3.25million tax free.

Saying that it took terry 6 years too find the gold.

Saxon Gold was the name of that docu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭cable842

yeah that was it I think I watched it 4 times on easter sunday. there was noting else on.

we took down the name of the metal detector.

but they prob let you see the name for advertisment.

there is no way he was using that exact same one.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 IrlCasey

Have a look at these two boards, some interesting information on them (the are not the same)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055672868&highlight=metal+detectors

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055869919&highlight=metal+detectors

Just dont ask Grimmes where to buy one as he will have you tracked down and shot at dawn!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Dave Sherry

I work for RTE and I am looking to contact people interested in using metal detectors as a hobby.
    Is there anyone that would be available to talk about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Sean_K wrote: »
    I can't think of any reason why they might be illegal.

The only issue would be if you are trespassing on private property or taking possessions (stealing).

The law states that it is ILLEGAL to search for objects which may have an archaeological or historical value without government permission.
    Archaeologists rarely if ever use metal detectors when excavating. They're used in planning and surveying stages instead.

My lecturer told a story of an archaeologist who lost her watch while digging in a field. The team couldnt use detectors to find it because of the negative connotations it might give to the community.

Id say for backyard curiosities its just fine. But if you find anything interesting call the guards and they'll take it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

They are really only legitimate for looking for something dropped on beach or finding where the pipe is that you need to digup. Gas or Water mains digging up people use them.

You don't even have Mineral rights in your own back yard!

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

The long and the short of it is that you require an individual Detection Device License to be issued for each and every time you plan to go metal detecting with the intention of finding any kind of historical object - and the law assumes that that is what you are doing whenever you are using a metal detector. Archaeologists do use metal detectors in field work but they also have to apply for and be granted a licence each time - in addition to the licence they require for each an every dig they do.

In considering your application the National Monuments Service will consider your research design, qualifications, expertise and funding for conserving anything you find (which also requires a separate licence) , and a declaration that anything you do find is the property of the National Museum. You'll also need to prepare a report on your findings.

You can download the application form (NMS 2-06) on this page: http://www.archaeology.ie/en/PublicationsFormsLegislation/

Note also the condition on that form:

A consent to use a detection device does not include permission to dig for archaeological objects. If digging or the recovery of archaeological objects is envisaged, a separate excavation licence must be applied for (see Form NMS 1-06).

Good luck.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

^ So no chance of Tony Robinson heading over to dig up a field with the C4 film crew in town then? ;)

As I understand it Time Team have asked for and been refused permission on a number of occasions. I think that's rather stupid, as they're a positive force for appreciation of archaeology, and their academic members are very well thought of here. They have poked about in the six counties a few times, though. Coming from a quite different legal setup Britain has a much more progressive approach to the metal detector community, through the Portable Antiquities Scheme (http://www.finds.org.uk/), which has borne some fascinating fruit. In Ireland the tendency fro detectorists has been to smuggle nice stuff out of the country or sell it for bullion value. Everyone loses.

I seem to recall various Time Teams where they don't speak to highly of metal detectorists themselves, but have sued them on occasion. Its the way they are used rather than the technology they would be against. I remember seeing them do some episode where they got to JCB the remains of some castle that was under an old army base or something up in the north, and thought they said something about it being far to difficult because of paperwork for them to be able to anything in the republic which is a shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 bloodyhell

this is ireland the most tollerant country in europe, i go detecting every day and i have never had a problem, i see a nice looking field and ask the farmer and every time they are more than happy to let me look as they are interested and as for the guards i have never seen one

bloodyhell wrote: »
    ...as for the guards i have never seen one

Yeah, and about 20% of Irish people smoke cannabis without any interference from the Guards, but it's still illegal.

what has that got to do with detecting!!!!!!
    Tordelback wrote: »
    Yeah, and about 20% of Irish people smoke cannabis without any interference from the Guards, but it's still illegal.

• Advertisement

Just as much as the fact that you don't see many Gardai whilst wandering around fields in the middle of nowhere.

and if you did they would probably ask if i needed a hand and where can they buy a detector

what has that got to do with detecting!!!!!!

Just observing that lack of interference from the Gardaí doesn't mean something is legal. I'd be surprised if a majority of cops knew detecting without a license was illegal.

as long as you do not dig big holes everwhere and respect the farmers land you will have no problems whatsoever and importantly if you find anything that is obviously very old apart from coins hand it in
    people worry too much go and enjoy the countryside and if you find something interesting show the farmer

as long as you do not dig big holes everwhere and respect the farmers land you will have no problems whatsoever and importantly if you find anything that is obviously very old apart from coins hand it in

There is a reason metal detectors are regulated. By digging metal artefacts out of the ground without a proper archaeological investigation you are removing them from their context and destroying any potential information about the people and society who left them there. A valuable piece of the island's history becomes just another shiny thing.

While the picture of finding a nice brooch in a field seems pretty innocuous, the reality is that once a detectorist finds something decent they will frequently return to the same site over and over again until it has been utterly destroyed. Sadly there are countless examples of this.

The State asserts ownership of all found objects more than 200 years old anyway, so the ban on unlicensed detection isn't from any fear of the Museum having to pay you for your booty.

For myself I'd advocate a middle ground like the aforementioned UK Portable Antiquities Scheme, where metal detecting took place in framework that could feed back into knowledge about our heritage rather than EBay.

nobody ever looks at a piece of history as just another shiny thing how ridiculous, is the chalice that was found just another shiny thing? if something is found that is historically important one day even if it is sold on ebay will be in a museum ,they are full of stuff found by people the state should copy the uk and reward people for discovering history

nobody ever looks at a piece of history as just another shiny thing how ridiculous, is the chalice that was found just another shiny thing?

Sorry to be argumentative Bloodyhell, but even the finest object loses much of its historical value if you've no idea of how or why it got into the ground in the first place, and in many cases where ownership is disputed even where.

If something is excavated properly we'll know more about both it and the place/time it came from. Was it a burial good, accidentally lost, or placed safely in storage? Was it the single precious thing of an entire tribe or monastery, or just the one small part of their great wealth? Did its owners trade for it or make it there at the site? Was it brand new or was it kept and maintained for generations? Was it used and lost in a settlement, a cemetery, a trading centre, a church, a fair, a ford, a fort, a road or a battlefield? All these things we'll never know.

There isn't even an automatic process of 'knowing' what date an artefact is, new excavation findings of objects in association with other objects alter those ideas all the time.

This doesn't even address the damage digging an object up can do to other less obviously precious archaeological remains around it.

The Derrynaflan Hoard you refer to was maybe a bit different, in that the chalice, paten, strainer and basin all appear to have been hidden and not recovered, so there was probably very little contextual info to be found - whereas a study of the manufacture of the vessels themselves was hugely informative about cultural contacts, technologies and techniques. The ensuing court cases however were nothing but damaging for everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Tordelback wrote: »
    Sorry to be argumentative Bloodyhell, but even the finest object loses much of its historical value if you've no idea of how or why it got into the ground in the first place, and in many cases where ownership is disputed even where.

If something is excavated properly we'll know more about both it and the place/time it came from. Was it a burial good, accidentally lost, or placed safely in storage? Was it the single precious thing of an entire tribe or monastery, or just the one small part of their great wealth? Did its owners trade for it or make it there at the site? Was it brand new or was it kept and maintained for generations? Was it used and lost in a settlement, a cemetery, a trading centre, a church, a fair, a ford, a fort, a road or a battlefield? All these things we'll never know.

There isn't even an automatic process of 'knowing' what date an artefact is, new excavation findings of objects in association with other objects alter those ideas all the time.

This doesn't even address the damage digging an object up can do to other less obviously precious archaeological remains around it.

The Derrynaflan Hoard you refer to was maybe a bit different, in that the chalice, paten, strainer and basin all appear to have been hidden and not recovered, so there was probably very little contextual info to be found - whereas a study of the manufacture of the vessels themselves was hugely informative about cultural contacts, technologies and techniques. The ensuing court cases however were nothing but damaging for everybody.

what if you find something at 4 inches deep, you take the object from the ground and mark the exact spot, can you still collect info?
    just a what if question

yes of course but the odds of finding something of historical value is slim i have been going to dozens of places almost every other day and all i ever find is coins and the odd bit of modern jewellry
    what if you find something at 4 inches deep, you take the object from the ground and mark the exact spot, can you still collect info?
    just a what if question

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dorus

What do you say about a detector that detects everything? it is sold by the company ATSC LTD.
    Is this possible?

Advertisement