Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC One [Megathread]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭motownman

vibe666 wrote: »
    i got a desire and desire hd from the meteor shop in blanch almost a year and a half ago and both were unlocked and unbranded and neither were close to their original launch date at the time afaik. not sure how relevant that is, but thought i'd share. :)

if its a downlevel firmware and there are newer firmwares available that fix a particular problem, would you not just update the firmware yourself to fix it, or am i missing something? is it a hardware fault on earlier models maybe? :confused:

TBH I didn't understand half the stuff over on the XDA site but the software version seemed important. I am not sure that i would even notice the problems anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

vard wrote: »
    Can anyone explain to me, or perhaps suggest some genuinely useful NFC uses?

I can think of plenty myself, but as far as I'm aware none of them are possible - IE, I live in London, it would be nice that I could link my Oyster Card to my phone and use that instead. I'm also noticing lots of people using contactless visa / barclays payments these days. I don't have a contactless card, but is there a way I could use my phone in a similar fashion? I was reading up on Google Wallet, but it doesn't seem to be quite the same thing.

There is huge potential there for the technology, no doubt... it just seems difficult to identify a practical and genuinely useful way to utilize it at this stage -- OR, am I wrong? I hope I am. Please enlighten me!
    I was thinking, could i put a NFC chip on the phone mount in my car so that when I put my phone into the dock it turns on bluetooth to connect to the handsfree kit and launch the Car App?

They are launching contactless cards here aswell, id be interested to know if I could turn my phone into a Credit Card!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭madmoe

motownman wrote: »
    I am due to go into CPW on Wednesday to get my One X.

Do you know your software version? Having read all the stuff over at XDA about screen flickering problems I am getting wary and wondering if I should wait until later stock arrives.

Thanks

Mine was .126 and I did not have any screen flickering but when I installed the Android HD Revolution ROM the brightness started to go up and down ever so slightly. This is a Tegra 3 issue apparently and hopefully will be fixed soon!

Cheers,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Can anyone explain to me, or perhaps suggest some genuinely useful NFC uses?

I can think of plenty myself, but as far as I'm aware none of them are possible - IE, I live in London, it would be nice that I could link my Oyster Card to my phone and use that instead. I'm also noticing lots of people using contactless visa / barclays payments these days. I don't have a contactless card, but is there a way I could use my phone in a similar fashion? I was reading up on Google Wallet, but it doesn't seem to be quite the same thing.

There is huge potential there for the technology, no doubt... it just seems difficult to identify a practical and genuinely useful way to utilize it at this stage -- OR, am I wrong? I hope I am. Please enlighten me!

Contactless payments is probably one of those thats going to take its time to come out here. It will prove to accelerate here more as soon as more phone come out with this. This year is the first wave of non Nexus phones that are coming with NFC. As it gets more popular, consumer demand will go up and i pressume bank companies in Ireland will develop a way to enable contactless payments.

I think most companies are still struggling to figure out how to make this payment method secure, especially considering Android phones wouldnt have the highest level of security.

You wouldnt want someone walking by to manage to wirelessly steal all your card/bank details.

For now were just limited to NFC tags and profiles. Likes of tags for checking in and stuff are cool I think. Would love to be able to throw out the likes of Leap frog card or my student card out and just wave my phone instead :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

Contactless payments is probably one of those thats going to take its time to come out here. It will prove to accelerate here more as soon as more phone come out with this. This year is the first wave of non Nexus phones that are coming with NFC. As it gets more popular, consumer demand will go up and i pressume bank companies in Ireland will develop a way to enable contactless payments.

I think most companies are still struggling to figure out how to make this payment method secure, especially considering Android phones wouldnt have the highest level of security.

You wouldnt want someone walking by to manage to wirelessly steal all your card/bank details.

For now were just limited to NFC tags and profiles. Likes of tags for checking in and stuff are cool I think. Would love to be able to throw out the likes of Leap frog card or my student card out and just wave my phone instead :)

THe hardware is already in alot of the stores / shops, the software is already in use throughout Europe and beyond. And the launch will be introduced by BOI in the coming months!

Cant be put any simplier than that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

BeciMester wrote: »
    Thanks, just one more question if you don't mind: did yours come unlocked and unbranded?

I asked about this and he said that it was locked to Meteor hence why they only had the one phone left which was meteor. What do you mean in terms of branding? There is no meteor brand on it or anything with meteor when I turn on the phone.

Maybe he was wrong but that's what he said.

Also here is my battery life for today. It's been off the charger since about 6:40 this morning.

20120416201249.png

tok9 wrote: »
    Also here is my battery life for today. It's been off the charger since about 6:40 this morning.

20120416201249.png

Much use??

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭one man clappin

This is my battery, plugged out at 7.40 this morning. Have been on Wi-Fi a few times today, sent a few texts. It is actually down to 26% now.

2012-04-16_20-36-48.png

madmoe wrote: »
    Much use??

Ya, I'd say I was on wifi and google chrome for a good 50 minutes to an hour, while having gps on and checking maps for 30 mins or so. Then I was just doing gerneal things like checking my emails, sending texts and using whatapp for another 20 or 30 mins let's say. Also had 1 phone call which lasted about 5 minutes. Thats about it I think

• Advertisement

Ya, I'd say I was on wifi and google chrome for a good 50 minutes to an hour, while having gps on and checking maps for 30 mins or so. Then I was just doing gerneal things like checking my emails, sending texts and using whatapp for another 20 or 30 mins let's say. Also had 1 phone call which lasted about 5 minutes. Thats about it I think

Good stuff!

This is my battery, plugged out at 7.40 this morning. Have been on Wi-Fi a few times today, sent a few texts. It is actually down to 26% now.

2012-04-16_20-36-48.png

I see from your notification bar you are using Juice Defender.....

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Can someone post the battery stats from a day of heavy usage? As in not the fact that the phone has lasted most of the day but with almost no use, but instead we want to see it with lots of calls & text, and plenty of internet usage - apps, maybe even a game or two. My guess it won't last to the early evening before it's mostly empty

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭one man clappin

Yes I was using it on my Desire and it worked pretty well. Not sure about it now tbh. I might leave it on for another while to see does it help battery life.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I always found juice defender to be a pain in the ass - it would turn off data when you need it and be difficult to switch the thing off to get data back on. I understand there are some other alternatives, does anyone use any other battery saving apps they would recommend?

Zascar wrote: »
    I always found juice defender to be a pain in the ass - it would turn off data when you need it and be difficult to switch the thing off to get data back on. I understand there are some other alternatives, does anyone use any other battery saving apps they would recommend?

Can say the same for any "battery saver" in the marketplace. Most of those have helped me out for a day or so, then suddenly it makes the battery life nearly twice as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭vard

I have been impressed with the camera. Quality is very good in both photo / video recording, however I have noticed when I move there can be some slight stutter. Has anyone else noticed this, or have any suggestions / solutions?

Here's a video I recorded earlier: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/61516329/VIDEO0004.mp4

The quality appears to be slightly compressed, and I'm not entirely sure if it demonstrates the issue I've mentioned... but just in case someone was looking for a video demonstration for the device.

I have been impressed with the camera. Quality is very good in both photo / video recording, however I have noticed when I move there can be some slight stutter. Has anyone else noticed this, or have any suggestions / solutions?

Here's a video I recorded earlier: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/61516329/VIDEO0004.mp4

The quality appears to be slightly compressed, and I'm not entirely sure if it demonstrates the issue I've mentioned... but just in case someone was looking for a video demonstration for the device.

Meh not something major id be worried out. Looks fine even thought you can see the squares once in a while as you mentioned does look like compression. Maybe its just dropping the amount of detail to keep up with the constantly moving content. For the most part it looks acceptable and you can make out nice crisp details for the majority of it. Though I wouldn't be using drop box integration :) Drop box is quite slow compared to SkyDrive for downloading and uploading.

I'm going to go for the HTC One X Clear Hard Shell Case Cover HC C700. Subtle case with a good lip protecting the camera.

http://www.prepaymania.co.uk/mobilephone/htc-one-x-clear-hard-shell-case-cover-hc-c700.html?source=aw&awc=2245_1334088097_16aa462319d7c9f871118fc816e81fe0

camera2qy.jpg

Did anyone get this cover? What's it like?

Edit: Ah crap, just checked it there and it's sold out.

Yes I was using it on my Desire and it worked pretty well. Not sure about it now tbh. I might leave it on for another while to see does it help battery life.

Used it on other phones and found the same as they guys, annoyed me more in the end so removed it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

BeciMester wrote: »
    Congrats on the new phone! :pac:

So let's see:
    yours: 12 months x €35 + €329 phone = €749
    online offer says "Discount applied for a whole year" so: (12 months x €25.41) + (6 months x €30.50) + €299 phone = €786.92
    A little difference your way, and tied for only 12 months! :eek: I'm off to CPW.

How do you ask for this package? Last I spoke to them (Blanch SC) they said it's 18 months only.
    Was this the price for moving your number to meteor or were you on them already?
    have a htc DHD out of contract since 5 of may just rang there :)
    was gonna get the phone online on their site on the 400mins, but I think I may try going on the 200 mins to see how things work out the last while don't think I've been using all my mins, and can always use an app to use up mywebtexts

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

SkySter wrote: »
    Downloaded it as well and all was working great until I noticed wifi tethering doesn't seem to be working. Have tried both the included hotspot app and barnacle. Would you mind checking to see if you have the same issue?

Don't have anything to tether at the minute, but tomorrow I'll take the wifi settings off something and try tethering and let you know.

Lenny wrote: »
    Was this the price for moving your number to meteor or were you on them already?
    have a htc DHD out of contract since 5 of may just rang there :)
    was gonna get the phone online on their site on the 400mins, but I think I may try going on the 200 mins to see how things work out the last while don't think I've been using all my mins, and can always use an app to use up mywebtexts

If that's directed at me, I was meteor PAYG so it didn't help with the price.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

If that's directed at me, I was meteor PAYG so it didn't help with the price.

ok thanks, my contract is up on 5th may. so I will prob get a o2 PAYG for a day and then move back to meteor as a new custoemr, just checked their website and to biuy the phone its 40e cheaper to come as a new customer. but im nearl thinking if I was paying the 329 I'd nearly jsut buy the phone as payg and go on one of their sim only plans.. also note that with fatcheese you can get up to €40 back off meteor..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭long_b

ok thanks, my contract is up on 5th may. so I will prob get a o2 PAYG for a day and then move back to meteor as a new

Careful - I've heard that some "new customer" promotions are contingent on you moving your number to a contract to the network for the first time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

kc66 wrote: »
    Dont forget 25% off your monthly commitment with Meteor. The OH used it no problem. Can't be used in CPW.

http://www.groupscheme.com/ie/vouchers/voucher-meteor.php?real-domain=hssroi.groupscheme.com

Did you need to show staff ID? OH is in a HSS group scheme but I am not

Edit - found out the company I work for do a group scheme also - doohhhh!!

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SkySter

Don't have anything to tether at the minute, but tomorrow I'll take the wifi settings off something and try tethering and let you know.

Switched over to LeedDroid HD last night and this is working now. Also had an issue with Bluetooth not transferring the address book to my minikit slim carkit. That's now sorted as well. There also are a couple of nice extras like a battery counter on the status bar and he's got rid of the "3 dots" context menu giving the full screen res to apps. I'll be sticking with LeeDroid from now on I think.

SkySter wrote: »
    Switched over to LeedDroid HD last night and this is working now. Also had an issue with Bluetooth not transferring the address book to my minikit slim carkit. That's now sorted as well. There also are a couple of nice extras like a battery counter on the status bar and he's got rid of the "3 dots" context menu giving the full screen res to apps. I'll be sticking with LeeDroid from now on I think.

I'm running Android Revolution HD with a the LC Mod Pack and all good so far.

Cheers,
    M

Any other Rom recommendations? I used to use LeeDroid on my desire a few years back and found it pretty good.

What is the process like to unlock the bootloader and install new roms?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭BeciMester

I asked about this and he said that it was locked to Meteor hence why they only had the one phone left which was meteor. What do you mean in terms of branding? There is no meteor brand on it or anything with meteor when I turn on the phone.
    Cheers, that's what I meant by branding. As for simlock, just because yours was the last of the phones they got from the Meteor warehouse it doesn't automatically mean it's locked. Even phones coming directly from Meteor are unlocked sometimes. Check with another SIM if you have the chance, you might be surprised. ;)
    I'm pretty sure it's for porting the number. I'm with O2 now but I'm looking to move as their billpay plans are ridiculous.

Advertisement