Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Olympic Council fella Pat Hickey Arrested in Rio

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Anyone know where his case in Rio is at? Thought it was supposed to begin Nov 30th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Seriously? Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Seriously? Why?
    Pat claimed he was innocent and was determined to fight the charges. That was enough to change the Brazilian prosecutors mind to Pats obvious innocence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Bold is not the word.

Lifting the lid on Pat Hickey and a controversy of Olympian proportions

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

STB. wrote: »
    Bold is not the word.

[OCI]"They have come back to us to advise us that the IOC must sit on the board and they must have a vote on the board and that they would not be subject to term limits. The IOC have explained to us that this is mandatory under the Olympic charter.
    They have however made it clear that the issue of the IOC member is non-negotiable and that no exceptions can be made to that and also that it applies to all 206 countries so it's not an Irish issue; it applies to every one of the 206 Olympic countries."[/quote]

Really? Well, look at this from Wikipedia:

"The IOC was created by Pierre de Coubertin, on 23 June 1894 with Demetrios Vikelas as its first president. As of June 2017, its membership consists of 95 active members, 41 honorary members, an honorary president (Jacques Rogge) and one honour member (Henry Kissinger).The IOC is the supreme authority of the worldwide modern Olympic movement."

Now, how can the IOC sit on all 206 boards when there are only 95 active members plus 43 hangers on?

"We are working very closely with the IOC. Their approval is required for the changes and we have to date had an excellent working relationship on all the governance changes with them."

In other words, this unelected body which perpetuates itself by co-option ( a Papal election is more democratic ) can dictate to a national body who it can and cannot have on its board, and the national body has no say as to who represents it on the IOC, an utterly unaccountable body. And co-opting "honorary" presidents and members is a further affront to democracy,
    It is time to take world sport away from this body and look elsewhere, maybe to the World Games or some such body. Ok, I know that this suggestion will summon up for many of you a vision of abflea on anbelephant's ass, and this will not happen in a day, but the debate must begin.

I want to emphasise that in saying this I make no judgement on Pat Hickey. That is a matter for the courts in Brazil. And I appreciate that the OCI have a fight on their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

feargale wrote: »
    "They have come back to us to advise us that the IOC must sit on the board and they must have a vote on the board and that they would not be subject to term limits. The IOC have explained to us that this is mandatory under the Olympic charter.

"They have however made it clear that the issue of the IOC member is non-negotiable and that no exceptions can be made to that and also that it applies to all 206 countries so it's not an Irish issue; it applies to every one of the 206 Olympic countries."

"We are working very closely with the IOC. Their approval is required for the changes and we have to date had an excellent working relationship on all the governance changes with them."

I've only glanced at this but what's going on, the international committee backing Hickey?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,114 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Pat's back...
    The Olympic Federation of Ireland has tonight confirmed that Pat Hickey will attend the European Games in Belarus next week.

Delegates at tonight’s OFI AGM in Abbotstown were informed of Mr Hickey’s intention to go to the games in Minsk, which begins on Friday 21 June.

OFI President Sarah Keane said Mr Hickey would be attending in his capacity as a former president of the European Olympic Committee.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/olympics/2019/0613/1055203-ofi-confirm-pat-hickey-will-attend-the-european-games/

• Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭Water John

It seems the OFI did not know originally that he had been invited.
    I'd say you could be both corrupt and dead and the EOC would invite you back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Doc07

Who does he claim the expenses off then?
    Hope he at least has the decency to take John Delaney as his plus one.

What ever happened the court case in Rio? And the 400k bond? Dont think I ever saw any article concluding the saga, its like it just vanished into thin air

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Éire: Zero accountability, lots of corruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

The health problems preventing him from travel seem to have cleared up anyway. Is he running the Phoenix park again or is he still wheelchair bound?

It's hard to keep a good man down. And harder still to keep down pat Hickey.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Muahahaha wrote: »
    What ever happened the court case in Rio? And the 400k bond? Dont think I ever saw any article concluding the saga, its like it just vanished into thin air

The man was near dead,close to the last rites .
    The only considerate thing to do was cancel all legal proceedings.

Seems to have made a great recovery :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I'd say he's wheelbarrows of dirt on all concerned.

Trying to answer my own question here, this is all I can find
    Mr Hickey was OCI president for 29 years prior to his arrest. He continues to insist his innocence. His trial in Brazil has been suspended and the OFI has no indication when, or if, it will take place.
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/olympic-federation-chief-surprised-as-hickey-is-invited-to-belarus-games-38193763.html

Which begs more questions really. The Brazilians were pursuing Pat with zeal but now they are completely hands off with no reports of what is going on. Also the $400,000 bond will now be forfeited, who paid that bond? It was hardly our own Olympic Council?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Is he running the Phoenix park again or is he still wheelchair bound?

Probably runs with Maria Bailey :rolleyes:

Also the $400,000 bond will now be forfeited, who paid that bond? It was hardly our own Olympic Council?

Well I can assure none of it came out of Pats pocket :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

yabadabado wrote: »
    Seems to have made a great recovery :mad:

The front of today's Sunday times suggests Pat's been meeting Kieran Mulvey from Sport Ireland looking to get his old job back.

Fair play Pat, you just can't keep a good man down :D:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

The front of today's Sunday times suggests Pat's been meeting Kieran Mulvey from Sport Ireland looking to get his old job back.

Fair play Pat, you just can't keep a good man down :D:rolleyes:

He heard there is a job that might suit him in the FAI

• Advertisement

Some neck on him thinking he can fit back into his old job, really shows the high opinion and sense of entitlement he has

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

His heart made a remarkable recovery then.
    If he actually has one

Id still like to know what has happened the $400,000 bond he skipped on in Brazil.

Finally Pat will have the chance to clear his name...

Brazil’s supreme court clears way for hearing of Pat Hickey case

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Dont let the bastards grind you down Pat.

Pat suddenly feels unwell ....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Excellent detailed article by Sarah O'Sullivan.

I had not realised the reason that the case had went away was a challenge of habeas corpus, which has now failed.

I must see what odds Paddy Power would offer on Pat going back to Brazil.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

I reckon yon bridge between Ireland and Scotland will be completed about the same time Rio sees Paddy again.

Well, almost four years on from his arrest in Brazil we finally get to find out about the 410,000 euro that was paid out to bail Pat Hickey out of prison. The current President of the Olympic Federation of Ireland Sarah Keane said today that the debt has now been written off and will never be paid back by Hickey.

So we can add the 410,000 to the 2 million it has already cost to get rid of him, what an absolute mess and complete waste of taxpayers money that was given to fund the Olympic Council
    Sarah Keane, President of the Olympic Federation of Ireland, has revealed that the cost of the fallout from the Pat Hickey departure has reached somewhere between €1.5m and €2m.

Hickey was head of the Irish Olympic movement for 27 years, but stepped aside after being arrested in Rio as part of the investigation into alleged illegal ticket sales.

"At this stage the costs are between €1.5m and €2m. They have certainly wiped out most of the reserves of the Irish Olympic Federation," Keane told RTɒs Saturday Sport.

"We obviously did regain a certain amount from our insurers but only maybe five or six hundred thousand euro of that.

"It was spent on legal costs, reports, different things, and advisors costs that were required during the time frame.
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/other-sport/2018/1229/1019520-keane-cost-of-pat-hickey-departure-more-than-1-5m/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Between the FAI and the IOC it's a wonder we ever get it together to compete internationally.

Advertisement