Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Long Andrew Kennedy

• 05-11-2018 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

Have seen a few references to this character, including the latest where some of his claimed descendents and I are linked via DNA.

There's a page for him on Wikitree:

https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Kennedy-1939

However, while it mentions some facts, they have no references - or, at least, the references are in the original Ancestry.com tree from which he was imported.

If anyone has any _referenced_ information on him and his descendents (for example, you have his details in your own family tree) I would love to hear from you!

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I always suspect everything from Wikitree, particularly when not clearly sourced. I would be even more suspicious when the source is from an American on an Ancestry online tree - only an American would write ‘Glencroe County’ (it is a small townland in Tipp.). Further cause for doubt - it is highly improbable after a child in 1775 and a gap of 15 years that Andrew’s wife Margaret (born 1741) would have four children after the age of 49, including a daughter Ellen born in 1797 (when she was aged 56!). The tree also has given a townland name 'Keeper' in Co. Tipp when (a) there is no such townland and (b) 'keeper' actually is an occupation, and one best 'hidden'! Kennedy is a very frequent name in Tipp and unless I was shown proper source material I would regard the contents of that tree as the result of the dreamings of some ancestor collector who is randomly picking names s/he considers 'suitable'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

I always suspect everything from Wikitree, particularly when not clearly sourced. I would be even more suspicious when the source is from an American on an Ancestry online tree - only an American would write ‘Glencroe County’ (it is a small townland in Tipp.). Further cause for doubt - it is highly improbable after a child in 1775 and a gap of 15 years that Andrew’s wife Margaret (born 1741) would have four children after the age of 49, including a daughter Ellen born in 1797 (when she was aged 56!). The tree also has given a townland name 'Keeper' in Co. Tipp when (a) there is no such townland and (b) 'keeper' actually is an occupation, and one best 'hidden'! Kennedy is a very frequent name in Tipp and unless I was shown proper source material I would regard the contents of that tree as the result of the dreamings of some ancestor collector who is randomly picking names s/he considers 'suitable'.

Yes, in case my tone didn't across :) , I'm incredibly dubious about all this and have had to fact-check even some well-referenced trees (where it turned out someone fathered a child at 10, etc). I keep getting mentions of this Long Andrew Kennedy character on Ancestry, Facebook, Wikitree, etc, but so far no one has been able to show any kind of documentation.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Have just found a DNA link with some folks who mentioned Long Andrew Kennedy and found this post/thread.

The Keeper reference is probably 'Keeper Hill' in North Tipperary.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Folks, please refrain from dragging up old threads.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
Advertisement