Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MiSTer

• 05-11-2018 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭

Anyone else following development of this MiSTer project ? Its a update to the older Mist FPGA Amiga/ST simulation with a load more cores, including consoles, arcade boards etc.

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Have one board ordered and trying to get the add-on boards, seem to be in short supply so might have to make my own if I can get them elsewhere.

If anyone here is interested I might just order some pcbs and make a batch.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I have seen it in all my social media feeds, how much are we talking?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

About €130 for the DE10-Nano board

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭moonlighting_1

In the process of building mine at the mo. mouser.ie had all the parts I needed to build the ram board aswell (bar the pcb) which I ordered from the US for like 8 dollars. https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/t96zYWQX
    If I can get it working at the weekend ill put up my part list from mouser.

For those that don't know the memory add on is needed for a fair amount of the cores to work.

Ya I ordered a batch of pcbs for all the add-ons (10 of each type). Hopefully shouldn't take too long to turn up.

FFS.. the USB hub board got rejected as its too big, needs to be 100mm or less, its 107mm for no good reason...

Well setup is fairly easy :)

PC-Engine is the only core I can run for the moment until I get the SRAM card sorted, but ya looks and sounds great. Looking forward to plenty more messing about with it.

30828862217_ba5e169f93_c.jpg

45043799614_15bd8a854c_c.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Looks great well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,919 ✭✭✭trout

I'd love one. I've been playing with the older MiST... not for consoles as much as the 8 bit micros.

I started off with a "use case" for Commodore Pet, but I got a little distracted by the ST and Megadrive cores.

It's brilliant ... but it's hard to get over the "not-emulation" feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

GBA and Mega-CD support now added :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsvPTrAuzlk

CPS1, CPS2 and Playstation all in progress as well apparently.

Gonna revive this thread from the grave.

Looking at getting one of these.

Many people on here have one or any recommendations?
    Probably going to be putting in 15khz arcade cab at some stage too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I've had one since early 2020 and it's a great little system. It's come a long way since then with loads of support for Cave and CPS1/2 boards as well as new consoles and the like. I do think I've barely scratched the surface with mine!

There's a few routes for arcade connection. I use a JPAC and a small amp for audio at the moment and it's OKAY, but there's a MisterCADE add on from MisterAddons that's coming out at some point over the next few months that will probably be the "final form" for mine.

There's also this, which I'm seriously considering checking out.

Right now, I've got it set up as a console in an acrylic case with a SCART cable.

DE-10 Nano FPGA development boards seem to have gone up in price lately which sucks.

If you're still unsure in a few months when vaccinations are all done, you're more than welcome to come take a look at mine.

Thanks for the tips.

Will probably just getting everything from https://www.antoniovillena.es

I see https://misteraddons.com/ is doing some International shipping now too but that looks too pricey.

Also Wonderswan has just been added to the MiSTer so that's interesting.

His shipping is why I missed out on the first MisterCADE preorder. It's just not worth their while to use cheaper shipping from the US at the moment as they end up chasing lost and delayed packages.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭itguyinaction

I'm wondering if one day it become somehow commercial project (at least partially)...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I've been using my Mister a ton it's brilliant. I was worried it'd just end up sitting around gathering dust like my Pi 2 that felt super laggy but everything just works after 20 min setup and then updating it with the ini script is dead easy as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

I've ordered one along with a De10-Nano as my first foray into the MiSTer - I've been following the work on this for a while and it looks great.

Fingers crossed for delivery some time in November - I'll keep y'all posted

More recent launch video out now

• Registered Users Posts: 14,430 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Haven't watched it too closely, but fair play to Neil and Co for offering an attractive, almost platform-level, way into the MiSTer world.

Presentation has always been a bit of an issue for the MiSTer build, and while I'm not a massive fan of the 3D-printed 'look', it's more than serviceable in that form-factor and at least it maintains a decent purchase point (spent far more on an aluminium build for example).

Was planning on putting together another system down the line, probably more along the lines of a 90s PC style setup, similar to what was built on RMC before, but this system is a more than decent alternative for anyone wanting a console-style build. Must check out the market pricing and availability of the DE10s nowadays. Hopefully they've been isolated from all the component gouging of recent times.

• Advertisement

Plenty of DE10 Nanos on Mouser, but it’ll cost you €180ish inc VAT

Aye.....looks they took a hit alright. Last time I grabbed a couple...can't recall exactly but certainly about 120-130 or so sounds about right.

Looks like another all-in-one solution is coming out for those looking for a more PC like form factor

Anyone got any good links for a MiSTer kit, been dragging my heels on it and now they seem out of stock.

With UK and customs now, is it best to get from EU only?

You can get the DE10-Nano from Mouser.ie anyway, not sure about the addons but I think there is a list of sellers on the Misterfgpa forum.

Super will go have a gander, will be back in 6 months to ask again ;)

Mister FPGA Forum Sellers https://misterfpga.org/viewforum.php?f=34

Haven't used any since Brexit hit hard, but it's a shame as https://misterfpga.co.uk/ was always on point with very quick turnaround. Far more options nowadays on the continent in any case, so I'd imagine there's more than a few trustworthy operators on the MiSTer forum.

I believe the lad operating https://ultimatemister.com/ is the same as retroshop.pt, which was one of the original goto places on this side of the pond in the last few years. No idea what the going rates are right now though, but I'd imagine with more suppliers, places need to be competitive............if they have the stock of course.

Yeah I've got stung on a few UK based sites now which is a shame.

Will try Ultimate Mister thanks.

EDIT : Ordered from there thanks. (All prices are pre tax so watch out for that, added at the end)

And yes its the same site in Portugal.

Post edited by eddhorse on

I got a DSUB15 to SCART cable from UltimateMister and it's pretty good quality. Nice little PCB in the SCART head and correctly attenuated csync.

• Advertisement

Got my MiSTer, now to find some time to play with it.

Advertisement