Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cycle Racing Returns to Dublin City Centre

• 08-06-2010 3:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Racing returns to the streets of Dublin on Saturday 19th of June. The Halford's Tour Series is a team crit race lasting 60 minutes plus five laps. Dublin's one kilometre circuit takes in Dame Street, Lord Edward Street, Fishamble Street, Lower Exchange Street, Essex Street and Eustace Street.

Sweetspot, the race organisers, flew over last Saturday to walk the course and they love it. You can get a flavour of what's in store by watching the next Tour Series race in Southport which is being shown on ITV 4 this Wednesday (8th) from 7-8pm.

Warm-up events in Dublin will start at 2.30pm and the main race starts at 6.00pm.

More details at:

http://www.tourseries.ie/

Ciarán

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭sxt

Nice site, good little history piece on temple bar too!:p Could be a fun race to watch,especially if the weather is good!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Been following the series on Setanta - good watching esp the cobbled race a few weeks back. will try pop in to watch this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

How many warm up events are there?

Are they races on the circuit?

What categories can participate?

Fair play to organisers - obviously had to do alot of negotiating for closure of Dame St etc

Although if they can shut down south Dublin yesterday for the womens marathon why not something similar for elite cyclists :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

How many warm up events are there?

Are they races on the circuit?

What categories can participate?

Fair play to organisers - obviously had to do alot of negotiating for closure of Dame St etc

Although if they can shut down south Dublin yesterday for the womens marathon why not something similar for elite cyclists :)

It's part of National Bike Week next week (more at http://bikeweek.ie/ ). There's no Dublin City Cycle this year (at least not part of Bike Week) which has in past years lead to the closing off more roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

The warm up events include a women Crit as well sometime around 4pm, around 60 ladies from your favourite irish clubs :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 DCC_Cycling (Ciaran)

The tour is in Belfast the night before and the trucks will arrive in Dublin about 8.00am on Saturday morning. We'll start shutting down the roads around 9.00am and should have the circuit ready for racing by lunchtime.

It's going to be a pretty busy morning; we need to build a start/finish gantry, a winner's podium, TV camera platforms, barrier the full course and bale two tricky corners.

Between 2.30pm and 5.00pm there will be three warm-up races. Cycling Ireland are finalising these events right now and I'll get them to post details in the next day or so. As Caroline says a women's race will be one of the events.

From about 5.00pm riders in the main event will get a chance to warm-up on the course and the race starts at 6.00pm. The race should finish around 7.15pm, prize giving should be done by 8.00pm and all going well we will be packed-up and have the roads re-opened by 11.00pm.

Some you may have noticed a big hole in the middle of Eustace Street. I am assured by my colleagues in road maintenance that this will disappear in the next few days.......

Quick question ... racing on cobbles in Temple bar ... would it better to use thicker tires than 23's?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Although I've never ridden my 23c's in Temple Bar, I would be 99% certain that 23c's would be a nightmare in those cobbles; the gaps can be huge in places. Turning would be especially difficult.

Here's hoping for dry weather on the 19th, a bit of rain and it'll be a duathlon with a short job through temple bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

23's are no problem. I recommend using tubs, as pinches are likely.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,196 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Some you may have noticed a big hole in the middle of Eustace Street. I am assured by my colleagues in road maintenance that this will disappear in the next few days.......

....down an even bigger one!!

(if my experience of holes in Irish roads is anthing to go by:D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭dubmess

Carnage!

The turns onto Exchange st. Lower coming off the hill of Fishamble st. onto cobbles and then turning from East Essex st. to Eustace st.

If there's a decent sized group at any speed I expect to see some road rash... they'll be my 2 favoured viewpoints anyway... not that I want to see anyone crash, I want to see how they deal with it. LOTS of haybales Ciarán!!!

It's gonna be a good evening of racing.

Yep Dubmess - they are the two places Sweetspot want baled. Fishamble Street is short but deceptively steep.

Viewing will probably be best from inside the circuit. It should be easy to move around and check out a few spots. The circuit will be completely barriered off but we are going to try to keep two steward controlled crossings going. If the race splits up these may have to shut down so its probably best to get inside before the start.

Does anyone know any tips for riding cobbles? I hear pushing a big gear is best. My experience is limited to watching Paris Roubaix on the tele.

Fast as you can is the trick to cobbles, so you kind of 'float' over them. This will be difficult at those 2 corners as they'll really have to limit their speed coming around them... East Essex street is relatively smooth just at that corner so it shouldn't be too much of a problem, but turning onto Eustace will be a toughie as there are quite big gaps...

Looking forward to this. Well done Ciaran for helping to make this happen... I only wish I'd been organising the Messenger World Championships here after you'd taken up your position, rather than facing the stone wall of the council as I did in 2007. Such is life.

It would be good if Cycling Ireland announced what support races there will be asap.

Would give normal Irish domestic riders an opportunity to know what is going on - and time for them to tell friends and family to come along and make it more of a spectacle.

I do hope they do run a few races before the main event - would be a shame to see an opportunity like that wasted.

Some underage events could be good too - or how about a Senior 2 / 3 race?

I guess this is a closed series that is generally run in the UK? I watched a round today on ITV4. There was an Irish team involved though.

Doesn't sounds like there's much time for any other races from the time frame Ciaran was talking about. I believe the ladies race will be all-Irish though or maybe I'm wrong in that assumption?

It would be good if Cycling Ireland announced what support races there will be asap.

Would give normal Irish domestic riders an opportunity to know what is going on - and time for them to tell friends and family to come along and make it more of a spectacle.

I do hope they do run a few races before the main event - would be a shame to see an opportunity like that wasted.

Some underage events could be good too - or how about a Senior 2 / 3 race?

They did - club racers should know what they are able to race. There will be a Ladies Crit at around 4 as I said above.

Dubmess - did you read all the threads - guy from DCC has said - "Between 2.30pm and 5.00pm there will be three warm-up races. Cycling Ireland are finalising these events right now and I'll get them to post details in the next day or so. As Caroline says a women's race will be one of the events."

Caroline - are they open races? Can anyone enter with licence? 1 day licence? or are events invitation only?

Thanks

dubmess wrote: »
    I believe the ladies race will be all-Irish though or maybe I'm wrong in that assumption?

About 55 ladies from elite to less elite from Irish clubs or unattached. It should be a good race to watch.

Caroline - are they open races? Can anyone enter with licence? 1 day licence? or are events invitation only?

Thanks

I am not sure about other races, if there are any but I assume that if there are Junior races, Club members would have been notified. I doubt there is a Amateur A race scheduled though, we would have known if there was. As for the Ladies, the Irish Cycling Ladies commission needs to be contacted ( womenscycling.ie ) however I believe the Number of spots have been filled.

I looked up irishcycling.com calendar, cyclingireland.ie and tourseries.ie and no mention of other races.

OK the ladies race seems to be publiscised by word of mouth etc among the ladies but pity there doesn't seem to be any info for anyone else!!

Where will they get the riders for the other 2 races!?! :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

I wish I was around to race this one.

Ciaran, will there be a wheel pit? If so, will there be neutral support? For all category races?

If there is a wheel pit, racers ought to be praying for a puncture. With exactly 4 laps to go ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Phil Leigh

Good to see the interest being generated here for the Ireland Tour Series to be held 18th June (Belfast) and 19th June (Dublin). We now have a guest rider from the Pro Peleton riding both the Dublin and Belfast criteriums. Also there will be a National Team to go with the 4 regional and AN Post teams. 6 Irish teams, 5 National teams a recipe for excellent city centre televised races. Great support from Dublin City Council and Smarter Travel. I look forward to seeing you all there to support an Irish winner... kick off - support events from mid afternoon, pro race 6pm!

Phil Leigh
    Performance Director
    Cycling Ireland

Thanks Phil - any info on what the support races will be and who can ride them?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

This race goes right past my window!

But I will miss it because I will be away!

Drats!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭buffalo

gaffmaster wrote: »
    This race goes right past my window!

But I will miss it because I will be away!

Drats!!!!

Can we stay in your place while you're away? :D

C'mon Phil - Who is the mystery guest rider ?????

Sorry I can't answer dave2pvd's questions - maybe Phil can

Nick Roche? The IRISH Crit Champ are on the following week aren't they? ( the 23rd actually and the Irish TT champs the following day the 24th) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Dura Ace

Nick Roche? The IRISH Crit Champ are on the following week aren't they? ( the 23rd actually and the Irish TT champs the following day the 24th) :)

He's taking part in the Tour of Switzerland at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Rumour has it our Fav mechanics from our fav shop are providing some sort of maintenance at this.
    What you guys think of this? Apollo to Cervelo....big jump :eek:

:P.......cool guys dont look at explosions..........:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Quick question ... racing on cobbles in Temple bar ... would it better to use thicker tires than 23's?

Will I bring my camera Caroline?

I reckon 25 tyres would be better than 23's

Advertisement