Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accommodation thread

• 07-11-2011 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭

Place for all future accommodation queries and recommendations.

Would be useful for anyone who wants to move throughout the coming year; anyone who transfers to Tralee in the coming months; anyone at all who in the future might move to Tralee ...

This thread could give them an indication of places and prices and amenities nearby.

/hopefully in time anyways

student accommodation map

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭KarmaBaby

propertycheck.ie is a good place to start.

I believe landlords need to go through the SU to be on there and there will be a facility for rogue landlords to be removed from the site if they unfairly retain deposits.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

KarmaBaby wrote: »
    propertycheck.ie is a good place to start.

I believe landlords need to go through the SU to be on there and there will be a facility for rogue landlords to be removed from the site if they unfairly retain deposits.

any student village recommendations for people though? propertycheck would be too vague for people especially first-years next year.

Hoping this thread could assist future moves in and around Tralee to also help people with their budgets, give students an idea of what to expect etc ;)

kerry4sam wrote: »
    any student village recommendations for people though? propertycheck would be too vague for people especially first-years next year.

Hoping this thread could assist future moves in and around Tralee to also help people with their budgets, give students an idea of what to expect etc ;)

I recommend avoiding student villages like the plague but that's just me.

They're a pain in the hole if you ever want peace and quiet to study, even during exam week. They're a lot less secure than a private house and my experience is they're harder to get deposits back from, even if you're a good tenant. They usually have very unreliable internet too and the landlord's don't care as much about fixing anything that gets broken.

Cois Cheim next to the North campus might be "okay" but it still has some of the above problems. The other student villages are not very near the college at all really.

KarmaBaby wrote: »
    I recommend avoiding student villages like the plague but that's just me.

They're a pain in the hole if you ever want peace and quiet to study, even during exam week. They're a lot less secure than a private house and my experience is they're harder to get deposits back from, even if you're a good tenant. They usually have very unreliable internet too and the landlord's don't care as much about fixing anything that gets broken.

Cois Cheim next to the North campus might be "okay" but it still has some of the above problems. The other student villages are not very near the college at all really.

I'm not moving to Tralee btw.

This thread is for the interest of current and future students.

What about accomm for those attending the south campus? Are people renting privately or in the student complex down there?

Are digs that popular? I remember being in digs in my first year in Tralee all those years ago :)

kerry4sam wrote: »
    I'm not moving to Tralee btw.

This thread is for the interest of current and future students.

What about accomm for those attending the south campus? Are people renting privately or in the student complex down there?

Are digs that popular? I remember being in digs in my first year in Tralee all those years ago :)

Digs are definitely out of fashion. I would say that on the south campus a lot of younger students are staying in one of the apartment complexes in the town, but there is a very large number of mature students in the South campus - due to the nature of the courses there - who obviously would prefer to rent rooms in private houses or are already living locally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭MiissTL

Anyone know of any double rooms going in Tralee at the moment?
    Need it until the end of the college yr.
    Cheap as chips!
    No big deposit... Recession.
    :(

MiissTL wrote: »
    Anyone know of any double rooms going in Tralee at the moment?
    Need it until the end of the college yr.
    Cheap as chips!
    No big deposit... Recession.
    :(

No reply to date in here. Have you heard anything yourself? If not, then a post in here would do you no harm :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

I'm looking for a place now in early January too, only seems to be a few places around for a house/apartment share on daft.ie

I'm looking for a place now in early January too, only seems to be a few places around for a house/apartment share on daft.ie

The ITT Student Union put up some info on facebook about a house available in early January.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/ittraleesu

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭alleystar

I'm thinking of going to I.T. Tralee next year. Is there much student accomodation near the north campus?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

The only student villages that I know near the North Campus are Kerry Lee and Coiscéim, but there are plenty of student houses in the area. The entirety of the Listowel road (Oakpark) is lined with housing estates so there should be no problem finding a room.

An Seán Mhuileann (Across from the bus/train station) and King's Court (Manor) are a little further away but they are served by buses that shuttle to and fro. I don't know the schedule for them but they must be every hour, 9 til 6 at least. I would not like to be walking from either of these complexes to college on a cold, wet and windy Monday morning.

MODS: I've made a google map that contains locations of student villages etc. Maybe you can stick in a link to it in the first post. I don't think it can be embedded. I can update it if anyone has any suggestions. We can add to it as we go along.

I've made the locations on the map exactly where places are on streetview not where they are named on the map (slight difference in location usually but it will save people having to click around). This is because people might find streetview useful to check out the place. Just drag the little street view guy onto the icon for the place you want to see and voila!

Link: http://g.co/maps/cmk2u

Opinicus wrote: »
    The only student villages that I know near the North Campus are Kerry Lee and Coiscéim, but there are plenty of student houses in the area. The entirety of the Listowel road (Oakpark) is lined with housing estates so there should be no problem finding a room.

An Seán Mhuileann (Across from the bus/train station) and King's Court (Manor) are a little further away but they are served by buses that shuttle to and fro. I don't know the schedule for them but they must be every hour, 9 til 6 at least. I would not like to be walking from either of these complexes to college on a cold, wet and windy Monday morning.

MODS: I've made a google map that contains locations of student villages etc. Maybe you can stick in a link to it in the first post. I don't think it can be embedded. I can update it if anyone has any suggestions. We can add to it as we go along.

I've made the locations on the map exactly where places are on streetview not where they are named on the map (slight difference in location usually but it will save people having to click around). This is because people might find streetview useful to check out the place. Just drag the little street view guy onto the icon for the place you want to see and voila!

Link: http://g.co/maps/cmk2u

Thanks for this Opinicus. Linky has been added to my opening post :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 paddy l

my house mate is moving to Barcelona for his work placement. he is looking for someone to move in for the next semester. PM me if you want to know more :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Are there any student complexes near the south campus?

Thinking of doing wildlife biology..

Grindylow wrote: »
    Are there any student complexes near the south campus?

Thinking of doing wildlife biology..

Look at the map HERE

An Seán Mhuillean and King's Court are both about a ten minute walk from the South Campus. An Seán Mhuileann is close to the town centre, King's Court is alongside the Manor West shopping centre.

Look at the map HERE

An Seán Mhuillean and King's Court are both about a ten minute walk from the South Campus. An Seán Mhuileann is close to the town centre, King's Court is alongside the Manor West shopping centre.

So both of those would be fairly handy for getting to the south campus? :)

Yeah. Horans nightclub is the main student spot (it's where all the SU organised nights are) and it's on the doorstep of the South Campus, so they would both be handy for that too.

You really just have to decide whether you want to be near the town centre or Manor West. Spent a year in King's Court an aeon ago, all the bedrooms are ensuite singles, usually four to an apartment. In Sean Mhuileann I think it's split between single rooms and twin (sharing) rooms.

These are the websites:
    An Sean Mhuileann
    Kings Court

Yeah. Horans nightclub is the main student spot (it's where all the SU organised nights are) and it's on the doorstep of the South Campus, so they would both be handy for that too.

You really just have to decide whether you want to be near the town centre or Manor West. Spent a year in King's Court an aeon ago, all the bedrooms are ensuite singles, usually four to an apartment. In Sean Mhuileann I think it's split between single rooms and twin (sharing) rooms.

These are the websites:
    An Sean Mhuileann
    Kings Court

Thanks a lot! :)

Just waiting on the head of the course to email me back with info now before making a final decision :)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Lynk

I live in Kings Court and I am studying in the north campus, I live with two other lads in my course and we usually get a taxi up (2 quid each) I have found it to be mostly good value for money even if the internet is a slight bit ****e, and even though it's about a 30-40 minute walk away. I will probably come back next year, mostly because of the social aspect and my love of the ensuite. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭alleystar

Lynk wrote: »
    I live in Kings Court and I am studying in the north campus, I live with two other lads in my course and we usually get a taxi up (2 quid each) I have found it to be mostly good value for money even if the internet is a slight bit ****e, and even though it's about a 30-40 minute walk away. I will probably come back next year, mostly because of the social aspect and my love of the ensuite. :p

Is King's Court dear?

• Advertisement

alleystar wrote: »
    Is King's Court dear?

4 installments of 580 quid, with a 300 euro deposit. ESB bills are bi-monthly, we've really gone overboard on ours at the minute. The first two months of our bill was relatively cheap (12 quid per head) but in the last two bills it's been somewhat crazy, mid-70's for the last two.

4 installments of 580 quid, with a 300 euro deposit. ESB bills are bi-monthly, we've really gone overboard on ours at the minute. The first two months of our bill was relatively cheap (12 quid per head) but in the last two bills it's been somewhat crazy, mid-70's for the last two.

Usual story for Kings Court, you'll never see your bill go down from now on!

They are notorious for not returning deposits also.
    But like that, every student accomodation is I suppose!
    Also when your leaving make sure that they give you a copy of the last ESB bill because they may take a chunk of your deposit and tell you it was towards the last bill!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭silversky

:eek: I think I'll sleep in a hedge instead.

MiissTL wrote: »
    Usual story for Kings Court, you'll never see your bill go down from now on!

They are notorious for not returning deposits also.
    But like that, every student accomodation is I suppose!
    Also when your leaving make sure that they give you a copy of the last ESB bill because they may take a chunk of your deposit and tell you it was towards the last bill!

Honestly if I don't get my deposit back they can forget about me coming back next year. Truth be told though, I haven't heard great things about other similarly priced accommodations. Sean Mhuillean is supposed to be ridiculously noisy with a fair share of scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭gbro800

I'm a first year mature student doing alot of driving everyday and I'm planning to move into Tralee next September. I'll probably go for shared accomodation in a house. Would anyone know the normal rates for a room and would there good availabilty and choice come next Aug/Sep?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭RB100

Stuck between Kingscourt and Coisceim. My lectures are in the north campus so obviously Coisc is better for that but are there any shops within walking distance from it? Because if there is I would prob go for that.

I read on another thread(even though it was a few years old) that there is a 24 hour Tesco near Kingscourt? I don't know if that's true or not but that would be class.

Did a little map for you. Coisceim is a 10-15 min walk to the nearest shop in Centra Oakpark.

SKyk8.png

King's Court is right alongside Manor West retail park so you have Tesco, Harvey Norman's, Debenhams, Woodies, Smyths etc on your doorstep. You would have a nice trek to the college in the mornings but I think there is a shuttlebus service. Don't know charges maybe someone living in King's Court can enlighten us.

Thanks. The kings court website says

''Shuttle buses depart Kings Court Apartments arriving at the college at regular intervals throughout the day. A bus timetable is in place on the Kings Court Apartments student information noticeboard''

I was looking and can't find a timetable online. If anybody knows or got his bus before would be great help cus I need to book soon.

Thanks.

Thought I would just say that I have booked Kingscourt for the Social aspect and Tesco ha.

Just hate the thought of that trek to the north campus everyday if the bus times don't suite tho. ah well cross that bridge when we get to it.

• Advertisement

I would imagine they're hourly. There always seems to be buses waiting at the college entrance on the hour. Probably does a circuit to the South Campus, then King's Court, then An Sean Muillean and finally North Campus again.

Advertisement