Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Drones.

Options

Comments

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Don't think we're hearing the full story here.
    Even if it is industrial drones, surely would be easier to track?

And if any groups wished to bring the whole country to a standstill, they just need to get their hands on a few more for Heathrow, Standsted and other major airports.

That`s it, they are cheap and mass produced, different era we are living in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Hopefully they start doling out jail terms for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,408 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Could be a test run.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Often toyed with getting a drone myself - for the kids - and I like aerial photography but decided on balance that the potential for danger, intentional or otherwise, is too great so dismissed idea. The drones are like the way the internet made censorship redundant but in this case, something can be done. It should be necessary to have police vetting to own/use a drone and like owning a shotgun there should be a damn good reason to own one. Flying them anywhere where a threat to human life is possible should be outlawed completely and if that hinders the lifestyle of the snowflake 'do what you like' generation' - tough ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

goat2 wrote: »
    How high can these drones climb, what speed can they do, could these be used to down a jet,

Depends on the type? Variable speed? Possibly?

• Advertisement

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Often toyed with getting a drone myself - for the kids - and I like aerial photography but decided on balance that the potential for danger, intentional or otherwise, is too great so dismissed idea. The drones are like the way the internet made censorship redundant but in this case, something can be done. It should be necessary to have police vetting to own/use a drone and like owning a shotgun there should be a damn good reason to own one. Flying them anywhere where a threat to human life is possible should be outlawed completely and if that hinders the lifestyle of the snowflake 'do what you like' generation' - tough ****.

Exaggerate much??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Eh.. Fly them elsewhere then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

if that hinders the lifestyle of the snowflake 'do what you like' generation' - tough ****.

It’s sounds like youre the only snowflake around here. “Don’t fly that drone, my hipster ears don’t like it.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Indeed they should be banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

Just saw that passengers, with babies were left on a plane for 8 hours before being told they weren't flying.

The authorities clearly couldn't give a shît about them.

That is not acceptable by any standard of passenger care.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

And if any groups wished to bring the whole country to a standstill, they just need to get their hands on a few more for Heathrow, Standsted and other major airports.

It shows how simple it could be.
    We could just make them illegal. Like guns. And drugs.

The criminals would have to not use them then.....

dense wrote: »

Ah no! I’ve just bought and wrapped one up as my husbands Christmas present!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Effects wrote: »
    From DJI, in relation to that video, which is apparently misleading:

DJI who also have multiple early right hand ads (not cheap) in some newspapers, warning that their Mavic2Pro (not cheap) is now very low in stock, with a major online/uk retailer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Raheem Euro

If you ban them they'll just go over ground. I mean underground.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

kneemos wrote: »
    No way they could take a chance if someone is deliberately flying a drone up and down the runway.
    Possibly be on manslaughter charges if something happened,and of course loss of life and financial damages.

exactly... remembering an episode on "Casualty" when a drone brought down a chopper.

I was half asleep and going offline when that was posted and was sure boardsies would sort him..:D Could not believe anyone could be so..... ignorant?

Oh and there was a section on one of the real life airport security series where they had to close the airport because of drones.

Just catching up on news; I hope they get it down and find the ***********

• Registered Users Posts: 30,184 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

48396503_2223905631262758_4930597300184547328_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub1-2.fna&oh=18942c6a0bf4a45609b4f66fdb40fb55&oe=5C988CAE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

JMNolan wrote: »
    There is no ordinary drone that can harm an airplane. Like Met Eireann and their weather warnings, this was a complete overreaction.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057939448/5/#post108933916

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

My partner and son are supposed to be flying into Gatwick tomorrow to spend Christmas with his family. I hope this d*ckhead is thwarted before then :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

My partner and son are supposed to be flying into Gatwick tomorrow to spend Christmas with his family. I hope this d*ckhead is thwarted before then

Hopefully that's the end of it now, but expect delays. Enjoy your Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

My partner and son are supposed to be flying into Gatwick tomorrow to spend Christmas with his family. I hope this d*ckhead is thwarted before then :mad:

Get the boat

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭badtoro

Guns aren't illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I prefer when drones are used for good.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-46616004

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I prefer when drones are used for good.

Tis a lovely spot Vanuatu

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Tis a lovely spot Vanuatu

Grand spot for a bit of fishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Who? Your partner or his son?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭alan1963

Ok gonna play devils advocate a bit here,
    IF the people flying the drones are apprehended, they will no doubt face substantial jail terms,but IF they turn out to be environmental activists and the reason for this action was to draw attention to the massive amounts of greenhouse gasses created,world wide by aviation. Then maybe,just maybe, in 100 years from now they will be seen as Heroes, and martyrs.
    similar to the suffragettes, or even the 1916 rebels. 100 years ago from now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Watching a news channel last night,
    A person said that that drone could be operated from another country, is this true, I don't know anything about drones, but I have seen them at weddings and events, they are a great idea for that and also for surveillance on law breaking and such,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭thomil

goat2 wrote: »
    Watching a news channel last night,
    A person said that that drone could be operated from another country, is this true

Military grade drones can be operated that way alright. That's how the US are doing it, most of their drones are operated from control stations back in the states. However, you'd likely need a drone fitted with a satellite antenna, which is still pretty bulky. The drones suspected in the Gatwick incident require a direct line of sight between the control unit and the actual drone, as do all drones available for private use. I suppose you could remotely connect to a computer or tablet that has a line of sight connection with a drone, but that would probably be a pain to set up.

Plus, speaking as a devil's advocate here, it would actually make the whole thing easier to track down. An "on scene" operator could easily move to another location if the authorities are getting to close for comfort, something that a "fixed" setup would not be able to do.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

thomil wrote: »
    The drones suspected in the Gatwick incident require a direct line of sight between the control unit and the actual drone, as do all drones available for private use.

Are you sure about this?
    I just did a quick search on DJI drones and people were saying although they know it's illegal to fly out of line of sight in the US law they do it all the time.

Also many of these drones support way path mode where you have pre planned flight paths programmed in.

Advertisement