Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xiaomi Mi Drone 4k - 393 euro including delivery

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Everyone seems to have a landing pad on YouTube. What price did you get charged? I got charged €328.26 using Revolut.

Been up until 4am watching videos of the drone haha. Some guy in Hawaii travelled the full 5km that they advertise it can do. Absolute madness.

Landing pad is very handy to stop dirt/grit flying up into the camera or propellors and damaging them.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Debub

Was that through IAA or MySRS? Did you have register a drone model and serial number?

I just registered IAA MySRS portal - takes a few minutes as you need to upload a PDF of your identity and sign a PDF declaration and upload and then pay the €5.00. Also need to get a 2 factor authentication app on your phone to be able to proceed with the application. You immediately get a UAS Operator Registration Number, says that you are supposed to stick it on the drone in a way that its readable normally when on the ground. I bought a SG906 Beast Pro drone for practice for the moment before I get a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭MarkY91

madmoe wrote: »
    I'm an amateur to all this mate so not very far at all at all. Got a Tello a while back as a delayed Xmas present and the very very first time I used it the wind took it far from me. I was petrified and I thought I'd lost it for sure! Great little drone but not suitable at all at all if there is any sort of wind!!

Cheers,
    M

I got the tello yesterday. Was fairly stable in my back garden yesterday. Tried it in Howth today and the thing just flew into the air then off into one direction. I'm lucky to have found it lol but it's perfect to test the waters of the drone world. It's definitely the reason why I decided to invest in a proper drone.

I cannot wait for my new drone to arrive. I feel like a kid counting down the days to Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

I got the tello yesterday. Was fairly stable in my back garden yesterday. Tried it in Howth today and the thing just flew into the air then off into one direction. I'm lucky to have found it lol but it's perfect to test the waters of the drone world. It's definitely the reason why I decided to invest in a proper drone.

I cannot wait for my new drone to arrive. I feel like a kid counting down the days to Christmas.

100% the same thing happened with me when I had the Tello, wind just brings it away so my advice to keep it very very low if it's windy at all.

I'll be breaking out the FIMI this coming weekend, excited.com!

Cheers,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

BTW - IAA Registration is €5 at the moment but this will go up to €30 at the end of next month

https://www.iaa.ie/general-aviation/drones/drone-faqs---operator-registration
    I went through this and registered my drone on https://iaa.asset-international.com/ when I got it based on their directions at the time. I checked out and they charged me the 5 euro but never marked my drone registration as paid and haven't replied to my emails about it.

What does your registered and paid drone look like in mySRS in ISS? It seems like I don't actually have a mySRS account from my registration and AssetInternational seems to be a dead link now

• Advertisement

Was that through IAA or MySRS? Did you have register a drone model and serial number?

What's the difference guys? Which should I use?

Thanks,
    M

Thanks,
    M

Tried registering with MySRS but I can't verify my email. I gave up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Thanks,
    M

You've no choice - it used to be done on the main IAA website but now they have a dedicated portal/dashboard called MySRS.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Tried registering with MySRS but I can't verify my email. I gave up.

the button doesnt work, but copying and pasting the link below it does for me anyway.

My drone is due next week but its going away as its my christmas present.

trying to get registered though for the 5 euro offer, it is this link i sue to register, Unmanned Aircraft System - Operator Registration.

Whats the online training about?

irishgeo wrote: »
    the button doesnt work, but copying and pasting the link below it does for me anyway.

My drone is due next week but its going away as its my christmas present.

trying to get registered though for the 5 euro offer, it is this link i sue to register, Unmanned Aircraft System - Operator Registration.

Whats the online training about?

Both just bring me to the same login page. Which I can't login to. Anyone Chad better luck o na laptop instead of a phone?

• Advertisement

I'll try tomorrow and post here guys about how I get on.

Cheers,
    M

Both just bring me to the same login page. Which I can't login to. Anyone Chad better luck o na laptop instead of a phone?

Did mine on a chromebook.

I did it on the laptop - it was fairly easy, tho it does need a few things (as per my post #2076)

This is the page

https://mysrs.iaa.ie/auth/sign-in

go to Sign Up and then it takes you to the page where you need to do a email/username and create a password
    After that it will send an email for verification – leave it for a little while as it takes time to actually become active – mine took almost 10 minutes before the link actually worked.
    Once you are able to log in (back into MySRS) – you will need to identify yourself by uploading a driver license (for example) in PDF and a signed PDF form. You will get an email once that is accepted (or rejected) and then you will have to follow the instructions on the screen (in MySRS) for the authentication bits (will need to get a 2 factor authentication app on your phone) and then you get the reg number
    Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Easy to register my hole...

On my srs i've got my id verified and done the online course... Now it's looking for an insurance number to register as an operator. Maybe ive gone down the wrong route!

I've paid the fiver and have a reg number now so hopefully that's it and i've not just opened a can of worms for the future!

Interslice wrote: »

On my srs i've got my id verified and done the online course... Now it's looking for an insurance number to register as an operator. Maybe ive gone down the wrong route!

At least you got that far. Nothing I do allows me to verify my email. And it's not me being non tech savvy. Ah well. My drone was only ordered yesterday so I have a week or so to get sorted.

At least you got that far. Nothing I do allows me to verify my email. And it's not me being non tech savvy. Ah well. My drone was only ordered yesterday so I have a week or so to get sorted.

Ye that was a bit messy for me too. Was alot of effort on the mobile! I can't remember how i sorted it. Think it might have been an issue with the gmail app browser and the normal phone browser. Copy the verify link back to the main phone browser maybe.

My insurance number is 12345 so you'll have to get your own.

Interslice wrote: »

I've paid the fiver and have a reg number now so hopefully that's it and i've not just opened a can of worms for the future!

Enter "unknown" in the insurance field.

Mavic Mini is about one third of the weight and won't handle wind as well. Mavic might have slightly better camera quality but not up to 4k. Mavic will definitely have better support and warranty.

Mavic Mini is 249gms, and for a reason - no registration required.

Please note
    This ID does not contain the final 3 characters. These are visible only on your MySRS dashboard. Do not reveal these 3 characters to any other person.

Seems now you just print off your own code or qr code or get a sharpie out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Hooked

Glad I wasn’t the only one who found the whole registering, trying to verify the account (pain in the hole) scanning licences, uploading signed pdfs, downloading authentication apps, watching 12 min vid, navigating the SRS portal, and answering 40 questions ALL correct and then having to invent (LOL) an insurance number!

Getting the first flight out of the way (virgin user) should be a bloody doddle after that!!!

Hooked wrote: »
    Glad I wasn’t the only one who found the whole registering, trying to verify the account (pain in the hole) scanning licences, uploading signed pdfs, downloading authentication apps, watching 12 min vid, navigating the SRS portal, and answering 40 questions ALL correct and then having to invent (LOL) an insurance number!

Getting the first flight out of the way (virgin user) should be a bloody doddle after that!!!

We need insurance now?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

What is the reasoning for reg of drone.. I gave up a while ago when I tried to reg it. I'm in the west of Ireland and I fly on our own land. Is it a revenue generating thing?

MorganIRL wrote: »
    What is the reasoning for reg of drone.. I gave up a while ago when I tried to reg it. I'm in the west of Ireland and I fly on our own land. Is it a revenue generating thing?

so they trace you if you fly in red no fly zones i assume.

It’s the law. Registration is mandatory in Ireland in accordance with the Small Unmanned Aircraft (Drones) and Rockets Order S.I. 563 of 2015. On December 31st 2020 the EU drone Regulation comes into effect which will further specify new pan-European requirements for drone operators, including requirements for pilots of drones to complete training.

https://www.iaa.ie/general-aviation/drones/drone-faqs---operator-registration

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

irishgeo wrote: »
    so they trace you if you fly in red no fly zones i assume.

Does the fimi emite a signal that can be tracked? I appreciate if Drone registered and the drone were to crash in a red zone it can be traced back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

What kind of questions are asked in the drone competency test? Anyone completed it?

What kind of questions are asked in the drone competency test? Anyone completed it?

There's a video you have to watch before the questions about the regulations and you can go back over questions you don't get correct until you do.
    I got 38 out of 40 on the first go, so isn't too difficult IMHO.

Does the fimi emite a signal that can be tracked? I appreciate if Drone registered and the drone were to crash in a red zone it can be traced back.

its hard coded not to fly into red zones, so i guess if its people complain about your flying.

• Advertisement

The FIMI I ordered isn't much of a bargain compared to my friends mavic mini for not a lot more in price considering he got 3 batteries and a charging dock for them.

A comparison video also showed a much much better video compared to the FIMI :(

https://youtu.be/IhWSgPCabnI

Advertisement