Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The International 2015 (spoilers)

• 27-07-2015 2:35am
    Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

Well its International time again :)
    Prize pool of $17,494,441 with the winning team taking home a staggering $6,297,998.

The Wild Card Qualifiers are underway and wow! What amazing games! As Im writing its currently tied at 1-1 with MvP Phoenix and Vega for the last birth after an extremely close game. Throne races, intentional deaths (for buyback) and Korok failwhaling as Ursa :p

The 16 competing teams are as follows:
    Team Secret
    Evil Genius
    Vici Gaming
    LGD Gaming
    iG
    Newbee
    Cloud 9
    EHOME
    Empire
    Na'Vi
    Virtus Pro
    Fnatic
    CDEC
    MvP Hot6
    Complexity
    MvP Phoenix / Vega Squadron

Group Stages all this week with the Main Event starting at the weekend. Who are your picks?

For me, can't see beyond Secret being the hot favourites. EG seem closest to them but its the International so anything can happen :) I think Empire might break their curse and actually make it out of the group stages this year. I'd love to see Virtus Pro do well as I love their work ethic and teamplay. Na'Vi I expect to have a poor enough time, they are past their best but hey, 3 TI finals isn't too shabby :) VG will be the strongest Chinese team in the group stages but can see them struggling in the main event while LGD will be the exact opposite. Cloud 9 - who knows, but they will be exciting!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

How are a Fnatic as a team? They are far and away the best european LoL team at the moment.

Was thinking of watching some of these games even though I dont play DOTA. Do you think it is possible to pick up the rules/strategy of the game from spectating some pro games?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Playboy wrote: »
    How are a Fnatic as a team? They are far and away the best european LoL team at the moment.

Was thinking of watching some of these games even though I dont play DOTA. Do you think it is possible to pick up the rules/strategy of the game from spectating some pro games?

There was a beginner friendly stream last year for unfamiliar people, I imagine it will be the same this year. I think there will be 3 streams so it should be one of them if it''s on.

Loads of people outside dota tune in, probably easier for you as you play LoL and would get the general gist, destroy base, heroes have spells etc

EDIT: looked it up, there are 4 streams, one of them is the newcomer one: http://www.twitch.tv/dota2ti_newcomer
    They are also streamed on youtube and dota2.com at 1080p instead of 720p on twitch

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Playboy wrote: »

Just saw this, guide for league players, here you go:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/3erqw2/a_league_focused_guide_to_dota_2s_international/

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

Fnatic are okay - they are actually a Malaysian team in DotA atm :) they were a euro mix for years and years but broke up after last years TI.

Euro teams to root for - Secret and Cloud 9 mainly. CiS teams - Na'Vi, Virtus Pro, Empire.

Personally Im cheering for Virtus Pro :) I just like the players and the team, they won't win but w/e :p

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

USEAZjb.jpg

Every C9 game ...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

deconduo wrote: »
    USEAZjb.jpg

Every C9 game ...

TWICE.

Anyways its only been 24 hours or so of TI5 and I've loved every bit of it so far. Some absolutely amazing plays all round.

Yeah oh man all the games have been class. HYPEEEEEEEEEEE

yeah its been so good so far. really impressed!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Gyro 13-1 so far and its just day 1. As much as teams think other teams needs prio bans on other heroes, they really have to address the gyro!

cm not picked at all last year...5-0 this year

• Advertisement

0 Tusk Techies to 2 simultaneously right now. And both are winning.

EDIT: Aaaannnd won. Hilarious that Arteezy was all like '**** Techies' and abandoning games when enemy picks techies.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Justice

great matches so far, lots of gyro, imo the hero diversity improved yesterday, some strange picks for sure.
    i watched the EG vs VG game 2 this afternoon, where universe played an offlane Enchantress (dire offlane).

hopefully the secret vs LGD will be a good match today.

as Bruce Buffer would say... Its TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIME!!!

LGD - Empire is about to begin.

Must say, the one thing I hate about TI - Kaci and all the fluff with the fans and crap. its awful and cringeworthy

that's the best thing, it's just another tournament without this stuff man

Im a fan of the Office (both versions) and that kinda humour but I still cant stomach that stuff :(

like, i dont mind the prepared videos going into the players and that kinda thing, but the live fluff with the fans is just too cringeworthy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

BYE BYE NAVI.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

BMMachine wrote: »
    Im a fan of the Office (both versions) and that kinda humour but I still cant stomach that stuff :(

like, i dont mind the prepared videos going into the players and that kinda thing, but the live fluff with the fans is just too cringeworthy

The fans are the reason the community exists and why TI is such a phenomenon. I know you're a dota hipster and things were better back in the day and "dota players in 2015 lol" and all that, but get over yourself man. It's just some fans getting together and having fun.

NeoSlicerZ wrote: »
    BYE BYE NAVI.

Was a good match for a bo1 anyway. MVP vs Newbee was excellent, stellar SF play in that game!

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    The fans are the reason the community exists and why TI is such a phenomenon. I know you're a dota hipster and things were better back in the day and "dota players in 2015 lol" and all that, but get over yourself man. It's just some fans getting together and having fun.

I'm to get over myself because I dont like cringey fluff segments when watching TI?
    2+2 = 7

I know the fans are the reason TI is so big. thats very obvious. I also know the game itself is so big because of these same fans. I think theres a lot of flaws with the game and community, and lets be fair, there is (casual racism is rampant for example) but theres also a lot of benefits, one of which is TI. But I dont like watching those segments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭ Aaron Unsightly Photography

I am not surprised that Na`Vi got booted, since their post-TI4 shuffle, they just haven't been on point. Dropping Puppey was a big mistake.

NewBee, well, their advantage going into TI4 was that they were new; essentially an element of surprise. Other teams were not fully studied on their play style. It's the same fate Alliance suffered, their only strategy was Rat Dota, which without a doubt worked very well, but now that teams know about it and how to counter it, they didn't even make it to TI5.

MvP.Phoenix are doing surprisingly well, they have absolutely no chance of winning, I suspect they'll choke the closer they get to the finals. MvP.Phoenix has strength in just grinding it out. It's hard to explain their play style, simply because they don't really have one (imo); They're a team of good brawlers that keep a level head in a team fight. It's interesting, but not TI5 Grand Finals material.

CDEC vs C9, whoever voted for C9 to win, hahahaha haha, hahaha; C9 never stood a chance, their reliance on 1 player making big plays is an achilles heel for them.

As for the upcoming matches:

Evil Geniuses vs compLexity; This should be a good match up, hard to call it, but I reckon compLexity will take it.

Team Secret vs EHOME; Fan favourites Team Secret certainly have the advantage here.

The pre Grand Finals highlight will be the match on August 5, 2015 - 19:00 PDT (August 6, 2015 - 03:00 GMT for us in Ireland); Between Team Secret and either EG or compLexity. I'm hoping for a TS vs EG match up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    Was a good match for a bo1 anyway. MVP vs Newbee was excellent, stellar SF play in that game!
    It was pretty decent, the fact that Navi took the rosh fight with AM BKB on cd shocked me. How's a 1.6k hp AM going to fight into Luna/SF Ults.

DDoS attacks plaguing the event :s
    gotta love that gaming culture in 2015 eh Dreddybajs? :pac:

Well, Sumail on Ember Spirit. EG looking really good atm, I can see them in the Grand Final

BMMachine wrote: »
    DDoS attacks plaguing the event :s
    gotta love that gaming culture in 2015 eh Dreddybajs? :pac:

Yeah all that stuff is gross. It's more to do with the rampant betting sites etc. though than gaming culture. Of course people are gonna do their best to impact the tournament when they can put money on the line. :(

EHOME!!!!!

I'm glad I recorded a conversation last Monday before the group stages even started, telling him ehome will go far and beat Secret

Dear god that QO TA game. Bloody amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Is there any timetable out there. Iv found the bracket set up but would like to know the times too so I can plan what time I'll be able watch some games. Thanks

Games always start at 7pm-9pm-12am-3am, but due to various network issues little has finished on time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭ Aaron Unsightly Photography

cherryghost, I'm going to post a link; Which is a fair answer to DeSelby83

http://wiki.teamliquid.net/dota2/The_International/2015#Main_Event

Click on the ( i ) on the team match ups and it'll give you the time to the start of the match. The time is relative to your timezone; So roughly 26 minutes to the compLexity and VP match.

Advertisement