Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Things Met Eireann Related Go in Here (MOD NOTE #1)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭flanzer

we will set up an 'event' thread if the morning models warrant one.

Snowy dreams to all.

Maybe Gerry and ME are waiting for this to happen before they start mentioning the 'S' word!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Blizzard 2010

Going by the present models (except GFS) I would not rule out a wintry weekend with snow. Its still only midweek anything could happen within the next 24 - 48 hours. Met Eireann have to play it safe. I must say I was a little surprised by the weather forecast which Gerry Murphy gave. I actually thought he was refering to the Oz charts

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

FWVT wrote: »
    ME have been spot on all week. As the usual rampers have been on here chasing their tails, ME have been generating accurate forecasts. Forecasts that have not been what people wanted to hear but their job is not to please a pack of snowbunnies on a discussion board but to say it as it is. There is time enough to mention snow tomorrow if and when the chances grow to more than the current remote.

People need to grow up a little. Many are dillusional to think that they know more than a national weather service and that members of this service may change their forecasts based on what is posted by some on here. ECMWF members also have access to 06 and 18Z ECMWF model runs at 1-hr steps out to 90 hours. They have a plethora of extra parameters in all the models, many more than are available to us, plus experience, so I think they know what they're doing.

Hi Gerry!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

ME have been spot on all week. As the usual rampers have been on here chasing their tails, ME have been generating accurate forecasts. Forecasts that have not been what people wanted to hear but their job is not to please a pack of snowbunnies on a discussion board but to say it as it is. There is time enough to mention snow tomorrow if and when the chances grow to more than the current remote.

People need to grow up a little. Many are dillusional to think that they know more than a national weather service and that members of this service may change their forecasts based on what is posted by some on here. ECMWF members also have access to 06 and 18Z ECMWF model runs at 1-hr steps out to 90 hours. They have a plethora of extra parameters in all the models, many more than are available to us, plus experience, so I think they know what they're doing.

This is the thing, met eireann have been wrong time and again. They have changed their forecasts consistently, I could show you quote from few days ago saying snow accumulations in the east and north easy for Tuesday night and today. They just change their mind day before. Their forecast beyond a day or two have been consistently off.

In fairness, weather models have been so erratic but changing forecast every day doesn't exactly count as correct forecasting!!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Wickerman1

I think ME are on the same roller coaster as us! Whether they at the front or the back remains to be seen!
    Miss Su at times like this, his comments always spiced things up even though it often wasn't what we wanted to here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Its 5 to midnight lets head over to Met Eireann on Rte Radio 1 for the latest.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Evelyn has said unfortunately it looks like we will have bitterly cold easterlies next week, risk of snow in the north east of the country on Friday and turning a lot colder over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Fair play Evelyn...

Calls snow risk for Friday in the NE and Ulster.

Bitterly cold east winds setting in thenafter.

RTE Radio 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Evelyn mentioned the risk of sleet/snow in Ulster and NE Leinster on Friday going into Saturday on the 2355 forecast on radio 1. Bitter easterly winds setting in next week. Further details on the 0755 forecast. Upgrade!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭compsys

Well said.

Look, we ALL want to see snow but that shouldn't make this ramping thread become a delusional thread.

Let's face is, precipitation moving in from the Atlantic is rarely ever going to fall as snow, especially when we don't have any established cold.

It's midnight in the pit of winter and the temperature in Dublin is 6 degrees. It's forecast to reach 10 in some places tomorrow. That's on the mild side even for Ireland.

Don't bash ME for telling it as it is.

• Advertisement

Evelyn not wanting the cold and snow it seems, because she said "unfortunately".

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Min wrote: »
    Evelyn not wanting the cold and snow it seems, because she said "unfortunately".

No doubt with her tounge in her cheek - she loves a bit of snow!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Min wrote: »

Well yes, as a public service whose purpose is to warn of risk to the vulnerable, that will always be the angle.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    No doubt with her tounge in her cheek - she loves a bit of snow!

Probably like quiet weather where they won't be hassled by the media or public.

compsys wrote: »
    Well said.

Look, we ALL want to see snow but that shouldn't make this ramping thread become a delusional thread.

Let's face is, precipitation moving in from the Atlantic is rarely ever going to fall as snow, especially when we don't have any established cold.

It's midnight in the pit of winter and the temperature in Dublin is 6 degrees. It's forecast to reach 10 in some places tomorrow. That's on the mild side even for Ireland.

Don't bash ME for telling it as it is.
    Couldnt agree with you more. At the same time I think most people were surprised Gerry Murphys weather report. Evelyn apparently has made up for poor Gerrys weather forecasting:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

M.E.'s national forecast updated on their website at 23.46.

For Friday in Ulster, sleet or wet snow mostly on higher ground.

Sunday: Heavy rain into Munster by early afternoon. Some falls of sleet or snow are likely too, especially over higher ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Rougies

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Well yes, as a public service whose purpose is to warn of risk to the vulnerable, that will always be the angle.

On the TV forecast she says "unfortunately" with a big grin and a twinkle in her eye. She stays professional throughout, but the ramping subtleties are there if you know what to look for. It's like a forecast for the general public with a secret coded forecast built in for us snow maniacs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Am I the only one who thinks there should be a seperate Met Eireann bashing/praising thread? :confused:

Thought this was the snow ramping thread? :P It really drains the fun out of what is not meant to be a super serious thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Am I the only one who thinks there should be a seperate Met Eireann bashing/praising thread? :confused:

Thought this was the snow ramping thread? :P It really drains the fun out of what is not meant to be a super serious thread.

+1

Jean will make it right

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

A Supper Dupper thread for ALL things Met Eireann related

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭kwik

Should be stickied!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

I really hope this does not turn into a M.E bashing thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭ThreeLineWhip

Gerry Murphy is great!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭tomcosgrave

God only knows what Gerry, Evelyn, Jean and the rest of the ME gang think when they look in here, which I am sure they must from time to time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

This is the thing, met eireann have been wrong time and again. They have changed their forecasts consistently, I could show you quote from few days ago saying snow accumulations in the east and north easy for Tuesday night and today. They just change their mind day before. Their forecast beyond a day or two have been consistently off.

In fairness, weather models have been so erratic but changing forecast every day doesn't exactly count as correct forecasting!!

If I could maybe give a wee bit of a sociological view on this. I would be pretty sure that 90% of the people who watch the TV forecast do so simply because it comes on after the main news, and probably don't pay full attention to it. All they may want to know is if it is going to rain or not, that is all, and then leave it at that. They don't really care about how cold it is out in the Atlantic or over in the UK/Europe and how this may or may not have an influence on our weather. It is different for us on here as we have all have a much greater interest in the weather so we absorb and monitor every single word in the forecasts given on TV and apply to them a much greater significance! :D

That said, if Gerry was to have mentioned a big snow fest on his forecast tonight, ears would have pricked up and expectations would have been raised by the general public; rumours and whispers about blizzards would grab hold of the nation and met eireann as a result would be put up on a pedestal only to be knocked of it again and accused of giving a wrong forecast if the said snow fest did not happen (and as others have alluded to also) I think that is the long and short of it really! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,009 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Now this is an ME update !!

Tonight:
    he rain will clear from western Connacht, Munster and south Leinster tonight and the winds here will veer westerly and ease. Further east and north the rain will turn to sleet and snow. Minimum temperatures zero to 3 degrees.

Tomorrow:
    Further rain, sleet or snow over Ulster and parts of Leinster with some drifting snow and accumulations likely over high ground with the strong easterly winds just gradually easing.
    Dry eldewhere apart from isolated showers. Highest temperatures ranging from 4 (in the NE) to 10 (in the S) degrees.

Outlook:
    riday night: Outbreaks of rain, sleet and snow over Ulster, northeast Connacht and northeast Leinster will gradually die out and clear spells will develop generally with just a few rain or hail showers in the west. A very cold night with a widespread severe air and ground frost and icy patches.
    Saturday: Apart from isolated wintry showers a dry day with sunny spells. A very cold day with top temperatures only 2 to 6 degrees and there will be a widespread severe or very severe air and ground frost Saturday night with icy patches.
    Sunday: A bitterly cold day; highest temperatures only 1 to 5 degrees in a strong to gale force easterly wind. Many areas will have a dry morning, just a few wintry showers in the east and south. Heavy rain and sleet will move in across Munster and south Leinster during the afternoon and evening turning to sleet and snow here on Sunday night with cloudy conditions further north and patchy sleet and snow.

WARNING for next week: There is a high probability of a severely cold week. Maxima are predicted to be in low single figures with widespread severe air and ground frosts at night. Strong easterly winds up to mid-week will produce significant wind chill and make it feel bitterly cold everywhere. Some snow showers are possible especially in the east but for most areas it will be mainly dry. Freezing fog may develop over the second half of the week as the winds drop and sub-zero temperatures then may persist during daytime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Dead_Rabbits

The Met E website looks like the snow gremlins hacked into it and started switching all that rain to snow over the weekend :D

Also I see the ramping thread is closed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

As expected Met Eireann this morning have had to radically alter their forecast. It was farcical yesterday to not even mention the risk/potential of something more wintry on the way (rather than blindly choose mild and wet like Gerry did - contrary to all the data available). Many businesses depend on the weather and it is a dereliction of public duty not to at least give them the heads up of potential disruptive wintry weather.

I do not buy the attitude of certain posters that the Irish public could not be made understand that the forecast is only indicating a risk rather than an outright certainty - Evelyn earlier this week did a top job of emphasising the uncertainty and made it as plain as day that they could not give a definitive forecast.

Thankfully, sense has prevailed and this morning they have indicated the possible chance of cold and snow in the short term. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

The Met E website looks like the snow gremlins hacked into it and started switching all that rain to snow over the weekend :D

Also I see the ramping thread is closed :(

Ye of little faith , there is a brand new one here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056857548

Advertisement