Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

appledrop wrote: »
    Ah Sryanbruen we don't want a classic August! That means a crap one!
    I see what you did there :pac:, very true though. I mean, an August to remember :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

I agree, since the 3rd week of June this has been an excellent summer in Dublin. It all started around the first week of Wimbledon tennis and since then I can recall very few days under 20 degrees with most days in the range of 21-24 degrees. There hasn’t been the heat of last summer in terms of max temps but we did get a day or two up around 27. Still you would take 21-24 degrees and dry any summer in this part of the world

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Great summer overall since we came home from hols the first week in july. Have only wore trousers once since then. Heading away again on the 12th of aug so hopefully the weather will last until then.

Speaking of which what is the weather currently looking like for the bank holiday weekend? Planning a bbq party on the sat and would like a dry monday for tinahely show?! I know it's a bit too far away to be 100% yet but just a general idea would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

I agree, since the 3rd week of June this has been an excellent summer in Dublin. It all started around the first week of Wimbledon tennis and since then I can recall very few days under 20 degrees with most days in the range of 21-24 degrees. There hasn’t been the heat of last summer in terms of max temps but we did get a day or two up around 27. Still you would take 21-24 degrees and dry any summer in this part of the world

Agree. Funny enough my weather app (I know I know) continued to show crap weather throughout this period. I suppose there was some rain many of the days but it was slight.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Sammy2012 wrote: »
    Planning a bbq party on the sat and would like a dry monday for tinahely show?! I know it's a bit too far away to be 100% yet but just a general idea would be great.

So far next Saturday looks ok, but Sunday has the Atlantic coming back in and setting up the scene for start of August. The unsttled run is still in FI so hopefully it will get pushed back. I'd like to see a proper plume even for 1 to 2 days this August with high temperatures nationwide and no easterly breezes to ruin things. We can still get warm to hot plumes in first half of September so alot to play for still.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

compsys wrote: »
    I know. Ireland has literally one of the coolest climates in the world in summer.

Perhaps so, but 'coolest' still does not mean 'cool' in the literal sense. I sometimes wonder if some peoples' blood is just all out cold, in that they need a constant source of external heat to keep 'em all warm and snuggy?

You mention your preferred temp range. I see 13c to 17c (with low humidity) as a more a comfortable range for general outdoor daytime activities and for preventing the inside of the house from getting too warm.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 9,601 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

For me its been a well above average Summer so far especially if you discount the first 3 weeks in June which were cold. Since the 24th of June we have had at least a Max Temp of 19c in Waterford with 25 days with 21c or above. Just 18mm of rain in July. Plenty of beach days so give me that every year and i'd be happy.

Its been good in the East since the end of June - West and NW in particular though continue to struggle to get a decent look in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Perhaps so, but 'coolest' still does not mean 'cool' in the literal sense. I sometimes wonder if some peoples' blood is just all out cold, in that they need a constant source of external heat to keep 'em all warm and snuggy?

You mention your preferred temp range. I see 13c to 17c (with low humidity) as a more a comfortable range for general outdoor daytime activities and for preventing the inside of the house from getting too warm.

Well, normal body temperature is 37C so I don't see why the average person would find 20C to be unbearably hot. Each to their own of course but for me an entire summer between around 23C and 28C would be perfection, with the odd spectacular thunderstorm thrown in of course :)

As for this summer, its been utterly crap in Donegal so far, a marked improvement since last Monday where its generally been ~20C with a mix of cloud and sun but up until then just unrelenting cool, grey, damp weather for all 7 weeks (bar a few days in late June) so it'll take a pretty special August to save things

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Gonzo wrote: »
    coastal Cornwall gets summers similar to Ireland, one of the few parts of England that doesn't draw up heat from the continent on a regular basis in summer due to being too far west stuck out to sea.

Most of Cornwall is coastal.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

.....this has been an excellent summer in Dublin.

Agreed. So far, this July is warmer and drier than last July in my part of Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭esposito

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Agreed. So far, this July is warmer and drier than last July in my part of Dublin.

Yes, can’t complain at all for the month of July in Dublin/Leinster. More of the same for August please ( a plume affecting us for a few days bringing temps into the high 20s would be nice)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

It’s been dry down here and mild certainly not cold in July. June was appalling. . Not much sun and a breeze there a lot of the time this month though. In saying that it’s a lovely morning out and I’m looking forward to experiencing this famous Dublin summer later on today during the hurling.

Well, normal body temperature is 37C so I don't see why the average person would find 20C to be unbearably hot

As you say, each to their own I suppose, but the temperature here right now of 14.1c, with just the slightest breeze, feels near perfect for me. It isn't uncomfortably warm and the tiny little flutters of wind give an an enjoyable cool, fresh feel on the skin.

When it comes to cold temps though, I can be just as narky. The usual westerly bringing the typical 7 or 8c during the winter feels far more nasty to me than the -5.0c, with a near gale force wind, did during 'Storm Emma' in Feb 18'.

New Moon

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I’m looking forward to experiencing this famous Dublin summer later on today during the hurling.

Ah crap! No doubt it will probably rain this afternoon in Dublin! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭highdef

Mix of sun and cloud in North kildare. Mild in the sun but very cool in the shade, enhanced by a chilly North or North West breeze.... Out walking so unsure of exact direction.

Not sunbathing weather, that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,214 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

It’s been dry down here and mild certainly not cold in July. June was appalling. . Not much sun and a breeze there a lot of the time this month though. In saying that it’s a lovely morning out and I’m looking forward to experiencing this famous Dublin summer later on today during the hurling.

You should be OK... It's warm and sunny with broken cloud

• Registered Users Posts: 24,214 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

highdef wrote: »
    Mix of sun and cloud in North kildare. Mild in the sun but very cool in the shade, enhanced by a chilly North or North West breeze.... Out walking so unsure of exact direction.

Not sunbathing weather, that's for sure.

Funny... Right by the coast here in North Dublin and there's no breeze whatsoever

• Registered Users Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭acequion

Yesterday in Tralee was very pleasant but I didn't find it particularly warm and the early morning was crap. Today is dull and drizzly, you get many such days here.

While this summer is reasonable in the sense that temps are good and you can wear the summer clothes all the time, there are very few beach days and rain is never far away. All depends on individual perspective. Some would say it's a great summer, others would say it's at best only allright. I'd probably be in the latter group and very happy I can get away a fair bit. If it was a really good summer I wouldn't want to go anywhere. That's the difference for me, how much I feel the need to escape.

Hopefully today might brighten up a bit as the constant cloud is depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭compsys

acequion wrote: »
    Yesterday in Tralee was very pleasant but I didn't find it particularly warm and the early morning was crap. Today is dull and drizzly, you get many such days here.

While this summer is reasonable in the sense that temps are good and you can wear the summer clothes all the time, there are very few beach days and rain is never far away. All depends on individual perspective. Some would say it's a great summer, others would say it's at best only allright. I'd probably be in the latter group and very happy I can get away a fair bit. If it was a really good summer I wouldn't want to go anywhere. That's the difference for me, how much I feel the need to escape.

Hopefully today might brighten up a bit as the constant cloud is depressing.

Not just individual perspective but location too.

The east has been far drier, warmer and sunnier than the far west, north or south west. I’m not sure anyone in these regions is claiming it to have been a very good summer there.

July has been nice in Dublin but hasn’t been nice enough to have made up for an atrocious June imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Nice day here in Glasnevin again. It's a mix of sun and cloud and 19.8C. It's quite breezy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

another mild day in Dunshaughlin, reaching 20C earlier. On my second last day in Spain, so soaking up every bit of warm sunshine I can.

compsys wrote: »
    Not just individual perspective but location too.

The east has been far drier, warmer and sunnier than the far west, north or south west
    If you are talking about the exposed west coast, then yes, the east has been warmer. Mean max temps further inland though only show a marginal difference to those in the east, in fact, Shannon Apt, for example, is joint warmest with Oak Park this July so far.

Regarding rainfall, while the west may be wetter, much of that rain fell in a short space of time. Your painting picture of the weather in the west this summer so far that does not reflect my experience of it.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Wet and cloudy atm in West cork. Had a heavy shower which just passed.

While this summer is reasonable in the sense that temps are good and you can wear the summer clothes all the time, there are very few beach days

Look on the bright side. Since most people go to the beach to cool down anyway, you have been spared the bother of having to go there.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭acequion

If you are talking about the exposed west coast, then yes, the east has been warmer. Mean max temps further inland though only show a marginal difference to those in the east, in fact, Shannon Apt, for example, is joint warmest with Oak Park this July so far.

Regarding rainfall, while the west may be wetter, much of that rain fell in a short space of time. Your painting picture of the weather in the west this summer so far that does not reflect my experience of it.

Though I wouldn't usually be usually on the same wavelength as this poster, I think he/she's right on this one.

It sounds like the usual east /west divide, weather wise, with one key difference this year: temps in the west are quite warm. Otherwise, though I'm not in Dublin and indeed am only spending half the summer in Ireland, from what I can gather I'd say they have double the sunny /bright days and probably none of the drizzle, aka the famous Irish mist, which plagues the west.

Today didn't improve at all in Tralee, dull and depressing all day.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,570 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Look on the bright side. Since most people go to the beach to cool down anyway, you have been spared the bother of having to go there.

I never went to any beach to cool down!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It really depends, its has been average in Castlebar as although the mean temperature has been higher in July compared to last year there still has been very little sunshine, plus this June produced one of our lowest mean temperatures at 13C for that month.

Rainfall in both June and July has exceeded last years recordings and coming into August we have had over 100mm of rain every year since 2008, some of those years totaled over 200mm, so in recent years August can be a wash out at times.

You can still get out and about and do things, but the constant lack of sunshine and high humidity puts a damper on this summer so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Though I wouldn't usually be usually on the same wavelength as this poster, I think he/she's right on this one.

It sounds like the usual east /west divide, weather wise, with one key difference this year: temps in the west are quite warm. Otherwise, though I'm not in Dublin and indeed am only spending half the summer in Ireland, from what I can gather I'd say they have double the sunny /bright days and probably none of the drizzle, aka the famous Irish mist, which plagues the west.

Today didn't improve at all in Tralee, dull and depressing all day.:(

We get it, you go on a lot of holidays.

Xenji wrote: »
    It really depends, its has been average in Castlebar as although the mean temperature has been higher in July compared to last year there still has been very little sunshine, plus this June produced one of our lowest mean temperatures at 13C for that month.

Rainfall in both June and July has exceeded last years recordings and coming into August we have had over 100mm of rain every year since 2008, some of those years totaled over 200mm, so in recent years August can be a wash out at times.

You can still get out and about and do things, but the constant lack of sunshine and high humidity puts a damper on this summer so far.

Yes, the humidity is a big killer this summer (and particularly this month) for me. Sunshine is not something I am that fussed about but would reckon about average amounts for this area. I remember duller Julys than this, though I've seen sunnier ones too. All in all, this has been a very bland, if sickly humid summer so far I think.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,060 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

We drove from Dublin to north west Mayo today . It got noticeably cooler as we drove . Quite chilly compared to the east today

Advertisement