Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

Up to 23.1C now, nice sunny breaks and the breeze makes it just pleasant not oppressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I was I england this week and the temps were unbearable for me. Really unpleasant, constant sweating. Even air con not that effective. So glad to get home to normal temps. Train delays thanks to the effect on tracks and lines. Was briefly in an un air conditioned packed train. If that wasn’t hell I'm not sure what is.
    I can only imagine what it’s like further south, normal business would have to close down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

32c right now in northern Sweden near the Arctic Circle, I presume that would be close to if not record breaking for those parts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Proper summer's day here S. Dublin coast. Temp hovering around 22, SW wind and good sunny breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

It's mostly sunny here and breezy. It's currently 23.1C.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Interesting to see. I wonder is July panning out similar to average July figures? Can’t really compare vs last year as last summer was so exceptional in terms of hot dry weather
    Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Top 5 warmest stations this July so far in terms of mean maxima:

Phoenix Park: 21.4c
    Oak Park: 21.3c
    Mt. Dillon: 21.1c
    Moorpark: 21.0c
    Gurteen: 20.9c

Top 5 coolest:
    Malin Hd: 17.9c
    Mace Hd: 18.1c
    Belmullet: 18.3c
    Knock Apt: 18.7c
    Valentia: 18.8c.

Top 5 wettest:(mm)
    Claremorris: 101.4
    Belmullet: 94.3
    Finner Camp: 93.2
    Newport: 81.5
    Valentia: 79

Top 5 driest:
    Johnstown: 21.8
    Phoenix Pk: 23
    Roches Pt: 23.5
    Dublin Apt: 23.5
    Sherkin Is: 23.6

Data C/O A Russian Facebook post.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Overcast and wet in Castlebar, only 16.4C in a moderate breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Xenji wrote: »
    Nearly half of the rainfall in Claremorris occurred over a few hours on the 19th.

When I was reading the met forecast a few days ago it said over 30mm fell in a single hour. That is crazy stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I have close friends who have lived near Cornwall (southern England) for nearly 20 years and say the summers are anything but sunny and warm most days. I would agree regarding south east though over towards Kent. That however is a very small part of the overall UK.

What I always find odd is how people so often talk about the UK having much better weather than us. South east of England absolutely they do but outside of that (is. Most of England, all of wales and Scotland have a very similar climate to us).

Cornwall does have great summers - it has its own little microclimate. Source: ex who was born and bred in Cornwall. You can grow bananas down there.

I lived in the south west of England during the summer of 2010. So during the string of bad summers and the UK experienced those bad summers too. The weather was still much warmer and more pleasant than Irish summers. Noticeably warmer. You got used to it being at least 22 degrees every day. I got athlete’s foot for the first time in my life. If that was a bad south west England summer, I’d love to know what their average summers were like.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Great day in Dublin 16. Better than I was expecting. 24.8c atm.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Great day in Dublin 16. Better than I was expecting. 24.8c atm.

We haven't seen those temperatures since last year. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

Anyone from Wexford? It seems to be clear blue skies down there on the satellite, lucky people! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭compsys

Interesting to see. I wonder is July panning out similar to average July figures? Can’t really compare vs last year as last summer was so exceptional in terms of hot dry weather

The average daily high for Dublin in July is about 20c (or fractionally lower) so to be averaging over 21 is significant enough in weather terms.

All stations trending warmer than average at the moment I think with PP a good bit above average. Even Finner in Donegal is 0.7 above average according to ME, which is fairly big and Cork Airport is 1.2 above!

So even though it might feel like a standard enough July in Ireland, it's trending to be a fairly warm one at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

klaaaz wrote: »
    Anyone from Wexford? It seems to be clear blue skies down there on the satellite, lucky people! :)

Sunny here in Arklow and quite warm,currently 22c

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

23C in Dunshaughlin at the moment, mostly cloudy but feeling warm so I'm told.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Anyone watching the Tour de France? They were trying to clear the road after a fall of hail, sleet and snow and now that part of the race has been cancelled after 6cm to 8cm of hail then snow fell.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Wexford always spoiled

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Not on the weekends when I'm there anyway, just as overcast as Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Cornwall does have great summers - it has its own little microclimate. Source: ex who was born and bred in Cornwall. You can grow bananas down there.

I lived in the south west of England during the summer of 2010. So during the string of bad summers and the UK experienced those bad summers too. The weather was still much warmer and more pleasant than Irish summers. Noticeably warmer. You got used to it being at least 22 degrees every day. I got athlete’s foot for the first time in my life. If that was a bad south west England summer, I’d love to know what their average summers were like.

I lived many years in coastal Cornwall and nothing special re the weather. no great summers..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Graces7 wrote: »
    I lived many years in coastal Cornwall and nothing special re the weather. no great summers..

coastal Cornwall gets summers similar to Ireland, one of the few parts of England that doesn't draw up heat from the continent on a regular basis in summer due to being too far west stuck out to sea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

38.7c recorded in England yesterday?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

It's mostly sunny and 23.6C in Glasnevin.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

pad199207 wrote: »
    38.7c recorded in England yesterday?
    Yes, it's provisional and yet to be quality checked. We've seen the atrocity of where some stations are located before.

https://twitter.com/EssexWeather/status/1016051860992430080

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I always notice travelling behind cars that the car temperature goes up 1 or 2 degrees from the exhaust fumes and engine heat even with the cars going a decent clip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Fast Twitch

pad199207 wrote: »
    Wexford always spoiled

Excellent weather for Dancing at The Crossroads;) They could be doing it come Sunday night:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Morphing

You know you can't mention snow, frost, low temperatures Robert. Only record breaking heat. If you mention anything that might suggest you are questioning climate change that's the ultimate heresy today.

To say anything that even hints your questioning the dogma of Climate Change is the equivalent of saying the world was round in the 16th Century, you could be burned at the stake:D

People like us have to catch a grip of ourselves and don't know the difference between weather and climate. The high temperatures are always climate change and the low ones weather. That's a safe and simple rule to save your life.
    If science is dogma, maybe we can add Mystic Meg to the weather models.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Thought I'd look at Malin Head summer sunshine totals because it's the closest station to you that records sunshine although of course it won't be totally reflective for you because it's coastal which tend to be more sunny than inland.

Up to this point in Summer 2019 (up to July 25th), Malin Head has seen 269.2 hrs of sun (though 1 day of missing sunshine data - 9th July). 2017 was worse with 224.7 hrs up to this point (and an atrocious total of 78.8 hrs in June 2017 - joint second dullest summer month on record there with August 1972 and only beaten by July 1979). If I remember correctly, you missed out on the very sunny four days and heatwave in mid-June 2017 which the rest of the country was enjoying. Think I remember you commenting on that too.

Dullest summers on record at Malin Head (Summers 2011, 2012 and 2013 are not available for some reason) back to 1955.

1978 - 321.6 hrs
    1979 - 345.8 hrs
    1988 - 359.8 hrs
    2005 - 360.0 hrs
    2016 - 361.6 hrs
    1980 - 364.5 hrs
    1984 - 365.6 hrs
    1987 - 368.4 hrs
    1961 - 376.0 hrs
    1993 - 378.1 hrs

Data from Met Éireann.

This is the first summer I've fully spent in Donegal for the best part of a decade so I suspect having lived for a few years in much sunnier climes hasn't helped my perception!

Lovely sunny evening now as it happens though, the past 5 days have been pretty good here, finally a taste of summer :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Carol25

I’ve just seen a few posts here today re climate change. I know Ireland’s summer has been less than ideal, with no significant heatwave. But on a global level, it seems average temperatures are rising.

https://climate.nasa.gov/vital-signs/carbon-dioxide/

That link is informative showing current CO2 levels compared to the past. You can scroll at the bottom comparing the levels.
    The heat and temperature map is even more telling, especially since 2001..
    After spending 2 weeks in heat this summer, its lovely to experience it but it’s very hard to function as we do here in that climate and would require huge lifestyle changes.
    I do love the sun and would love a good August! But as long as every day isn’t a wash out and we can do activities outdoors, I’ll take it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

No one said science was dogma. But it's constantly changing and updating given new info and methodology. All evidence of all the changes taking place in our climate should be pointed out. I mentioned Germany and other central European countries broke their coldest temp record aswell as their hottest temp record for July, which is remarkable.

[ Mod Snip]

Mod Note: Digging up that quoted post that I snipped Fast Twitch is only goading and looking for a possible negative reaction and will ultimately drag the thread off topic and make it unpleasant for all . Time to move on now.

As above

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Fast Twitch

As above

Apologies Meteorite. You're totally correct. You dealt with all last night. I'll move on.

Advertisement