Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 - 1000 Mile Challenge

• 31-12-2017 4:13pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I think we may now be up to year 9 of the 1000 mile challenge, so here we go again with the link to the new spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xeJ5zMUBs06jnFBV3XaJFQJcaXaBBFREx9-nqz7GMPk/edit?usp=sharing

Same as previous years we are using Google Docs again, just click on the link above and enter your boardsie name in column A and then how far your total miles are for the year in column C, or if you count in kilometres enter that in column D. If you want you can also enter you age/ gender category in column B. Your ranking amongst the boardsies is shown on the Positions sheet.

Do not edit any other columns, except for the completion date when you have done your 1000miles. I have manually added the people who had edit access to the locked tab again for this year, and if there is anyone else who wants access to that then you'll need to PM me your Google email address so that I can enable access.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Thanks, Robin!

but ...

the formulas in the "Positions" sheets still all use 2017 as their year ...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Grrr, I always forget that bit. Will have to wait a day or so for me to be able to fix that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Will try this again. Last time I did it successfully was 2015 so will see how I am fixed at the end of January.

What are the categories again?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Ah, gowan, I'll give it a shot!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Having a go at this for the first time, probably pretty crucial that I get it if I wanna be hitting my other time goals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 P.V.N.S.

Bad year in 2017 for injuries for me I only managed 1040km. I hit the 1000 miles mark for 2016 in July but I won't be aiming for that kind of mileage this year . I'm going to be aiming for 1000miles again this year, hopefully around October.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The completion date estimates and weekly totals should now be correct, let me know if you spot any other mistakes with the calculations.

Anyone that had PM'ed me so far should also now have edit access to the locked sheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

robinph wrote: »
    The completion date estimates and weekly totals should now be correct, let me know if you spot any other mistakes with the calculations.

Anyone that had PM'ed me so far should also now have edit access to the locked sheet.

Thanks Robinph. What is the locked sheet?

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Thanks Robinph. What is the locked sheet?

The main page that you would enter your distance on is editable by anyone with the link to the spreadsheet, so could potentially be "vandalised". We've not had issues with that recently though. The locked sheet is only editable by those given access so prevents people messing up our log, and makes it a bit easier to roll back changes if someone edits the wrong thing by mistake.

Both ways of entering your details work exactly the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Ah Sure why not,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 james quinn

looking forward to it

I think we may now be up to year 9 of the 1000 mile challenge, so here we go again with the link to the new spreadsheet:

Seems that I miss-remembered and this year is actually year 10 since Woddles initial idea.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=58466787

:eek:

Seems that I miss-remembered and this year is actually year 10 since Woddles initial idea.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=58466787

:eek:

That's so long ago that Krusty had put himself into the "B" target list! :eek: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,492 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

That's so long ago that Krusty had put himself into the "B" target list! :eek: :D
    Wow. So many names from the past! We need a 'where are they now' thread.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

2000 Mile estimate still needs to be updated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

made it to 700 last year on my own , feel need to see others progression to push me over the line. best of luck everyone

adrian522 wrote: »
    2000 Mile estimate still needs to be updated.

Thanks for spotting that, fixed now.

Over the previous 9 incarnations of the 1000 mile challenge there have been 589 participants*, 1075509.67 miles logged**, between 79 (2017) and 193 (2010) participants each year but only 5 people taken part each year (BeepBeep67, Hawkwing, Krusty_Clown, robinph, TFBubendorfer).

The best record for improving mileage each year goes to Osloslo with the following mileage each year:
    2012 - 794
    2013 - 1,659
    2014 - 1,819
    2015 - 2,366
    2016 - 3,237
    2017 - 3,691

BeepBeep67 was doing well until 2016, but then missed out on the streak of increasing mileage by 237 last year. Krusty_Clown was doing similarly well until 2 years ago when he failed by 70 miles and then 69 miles last year in continuing the streak. **

The highest mileage logged by all of us in a year was 2012 with 153,670 miles run by 108 of us.

The highest mileage in 1 year was Krusty_Clown with 4001 in 2015, and he also has the highest overall mileage of 27,265 over the 9 years. TFBubendorfer is in second with 24950.

* This could include naughty re-reg accounts as well.
    ** 2009 and 2010 people stopped logging at 1000, 2011 most people stopped logging at 1000.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,492 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

BeepBeep67 was doing well until 2016, but then missed out on the streak of increasing mileage by 237 last year. Krusty_Clown was doing similarly well until 2 years ago when he failed by 70 miles and then 69 miles last year in continuing the streak. **
    I need a better hobby.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I love statistics!!!

• Advertisement

The highest mileage in 1 year was Krusty_Clown with 4001 in 2015, and he also has the highest overall mileage of 27,265 over the 9 years. TFBubendorfer is in second with 24950.

Yes, but if Enduro logged his miles ...

Yes, but if Enduro logged his miles ...

If it's not on the 1000 mile challenge log then it didn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ultrawoman

The best record for improving mileage each year goes to Osloslo with the following mileage each year:
    2012 - 794
    2013 - 1,659
    2014 - 1,819
    2015 - 2,366
    2016 - 3,237
    2017 - 3,691

I'll whip her ass this year:) Watch this space:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

2012 - 794
    2013 - 1,659
    2014 - 1,819
    2015 - 2,366
    2016 - 3,237
    2017 - 3,691

What kind of improving have you seen Osloslo with increased mileage? Do more miles always make you faster or is there a point where it doesn't help , my lifetime mileage is only 1900 , does lifetime mileage matter in running?
    Thanks

What kind of improving have you seen Osloslo with increased mileage? Do more miles always make you faster or is there a point where it doesn't help , my lifetime mileage is only 1900 , does lifetime mileage matter in running?
    Thanks

Hey. I'll answer for her*:)

I only run very long ultras (12 and 24 hours) where I believe, improvement is all about getting as much time on the feet as possible in training, without getting injured. The approach worked for me last year as I made a decent improvement for my 24 hour race last year and in 2016.

So the answer to your question is, I don't really know if it's made me faster over the shorter stuff as I haven't done anything short in ages, but I do believe all those miles I did over the last few years, have made me very strong and I find now that I'm doing weekly AeT work (2 hour race pace), that I can sustain a decent pace (for me) for quite a long time without tiring.

I'd actually be very interested to see how I'd do over a marathon after building up my base over the last few years. Might think about training for one properly sometime in the future...

* I might even be her:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

ultrawoman wrote: »
    Hey. I'll answer for her*:)

I only run very long ultras (12 and 24 hours)

Wtf ! I’m struggling to get by this sentence you run for 24hours non stop ? That is insane I didn’t even know these events existed I thought an ultra was 2 marathons in one go , madness how do your legs not seize up and you hit the wall after 20 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Trying to add my age category, M50, but that column has been hidden on the entry sheet.

Have bit the bullet and will let the physio have a poke at my plantar fasciitis issue tomorrow. It's not bothering me running yet, up to 30k, but I'm hobbling around in the mornings and anytime I sit down for 10 mins! Hopefully back to 6 day 100k weeks by mid-Feb. A long time until Belfast so no panic.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

Trying to add my age category, M50, but that column has been hidden on the entry sheet.

Not sure what the problem was there, could just need to reload the document. Anyway, I've added your category for you.

Wtf ! I’m struggling to get by this sentence you run for 24hours non stop ? That is insane I didn’t even know these events existed I thought an ultra was 2 marathons in one go , madness how do your legs not seize up and you hit the wall after 20 miles.

haha, that's the idea, yeah! There are actually races that go on for 6 days and more too! I'm only mildly insane :)

I guess that's the whole reason for the 600+ hours of training in 2017, so as to prepare the legs well enough so that they don't seize up, or to at least delay the seizing up for as long as possible!

You'd only really hit a wall that early on if you'd gone out too fast which would be a completely crazy thing to do for a 24 hour race. Correct pacing is obviously extremely important for these types of races! But many many walls will be faced in a 24 hour race and part of being good at these long races is how you learn to deal with the walls and overcome them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭kookiebrew

Finished 8th with 2537 miles last year, most miles I've ever run in a year since I started in 2014. Lot of miles and never ran a full last year.

Don't think I'll get more this year unless I change my plans early but I'll stick down my name anyhow.

Advertisement