Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Questions to ask when viewing a boat

• 10-11-2019 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi all,
    I'm off to see a barge with a view to live aboard and am wondering if there are any questions to ask that I'm forgetting?
    We have been back and forward on email and have most of the basics covered, pump out toilet, solar panels, extended mooring permit, last time blacked etc.
    What are the absolute essentials that I need to ask when viewing?
    I have asked for a copy of the survey, is it worth getting another one?
    Next step is boat finance, any recommendations?
    Absolute newbie here and am aware of most of the upkeep living on a barge but thought I'd ask the questions on this forum as you would know more than me!
    Thanks for your time
    @mods I'm not sure if I've posted this in the right place, trying for sailing and boating... Could you please move if I've done this the wrong way?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

I would definitely want my own survey not that of the vendor.
    A finance company advancing a loan might demand it anyhow.

I assume it is on the water.
    I would prefer to see it and have it seen by my surveyor out of the water.

The intention to live aboard suggests berthing at a particular site for the time being.
    I would like to know the terms and conditions and costings of berthing at the proposed location.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

You might be better posting in this thread OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Does it float?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 deadlydreads

Cheers all, am off to see her tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭downwesht

I own a boat not a barge.As well as the good advice above,ask someone who has a barge to give her the once over before you decide to buy.You can't beat experience,a surveyor is a must but he might not see what a barge dweller will!

• Advertisement
Advertisement