Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of Ryvita in Tesco north and south

• 29-10-2012 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

I just love dark rye Ryvita for the breakfast. So on Saturday last bought some in New Ross branch of Tesco where on entering a large sign proclaims "every little helps" Cost is €1.89 per 250g. In the north in Tesco, the very same packet costs £1. With the pound equal to 80p you can see that we are being ripped off down here by 50 % by a company who professes to be the consumers champion. They were charging €1.67 per litre of unleaded whilst Topaz out the road in New Ross were charging €1.62 for the past week.
    I suspect no national newspaper would take issue with Tesco due to the advertising revenue. This is really a shame and should be highlighted.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

I just love dark rye Ryvita for the breakfast. So on Saturday last bought some in New Ross branch of Tesco where on entering a large sign proclaims "every little helps" Cost is €1.89 per 250g. In the north in Tesco, the very same packet costs £1. With the pound equal to 80p you can see that we are being ripped off down here by 50 % by a company who professes to be the consumers champion. They were charging €1.67 per litre of unleaded whilst Topaz out the road in New Ross were charging €1.62 for the past week.
    I suspect no national newspaper would take issue with Tesco due to the advertising revenue. This is really a shame and should be highlighted.
    its not a 50% difference...1 pound is roughly 1.25 euro. Whilst theirs still a difference,What do you expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

It's already highlighted, prices are clearly displayed on the price tag. Businesses are generally free to set their own prices. There are a number of reasons why NI prices are different to here (£1=€1.24), including different wage costs, insurance, tax, commercial rates, etc., and not least, the price the market is willing to pay. So it's up to the consumer to shop around and make yourself aware.
    skinny90 wrote: »
    its not a 50% difference...1 pound is roughly 1.25 euro. Whilst theirs still a difference,What do you expect?
    €1.89 - €1.25 = €0.64 which is 50% of €1.25. Irl price is 50% more than NI price.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭kittytwister

Add 50% of 1.25 and combined what do you get? Skinny you must have plenty of money..as you do not seem to be hot on the maths

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Don't forget we have a different minimum wage as well which is higher than the north.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

sorry my heads rattled.yeah your right about the difference my bad.My point being is what do you expect,What do you think is a justifiable amount

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

people often forget that the xe.com rate is an inter-bank rate, and realisically you'll pay about €1.27.
    then there's also a 3% VAT difference (there is also a possibility that this falls into the 0% VAT category in the UK).
    in the UK there is also much much more comepetition in the market, the selling at exactly £1 may well be price-matching Poundland to remain competitive (their equivalent Dealz is only just entering the Irish market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Ryvita in UK 0% vat
    Ryvita in Ireland 13.5% vat

I can show plenty of current cases where Tesco NI are far more expensive than Tesco in south if you want.

Also, why not compare the full range instead of picking one single item out of 30,000+

Standard Ryvita 205g - UK 99p (€1.25) 0% vat, Irl 1.89 13.5% vat (€1.66 ex vat)
    Multi grain ryvita - UK £1.29 (€1.61) 0% vat, Irl 1.89 13.5% vat (1.66 ex vat)
    Special bakes (peppercorn etc) UK £1.59 (€2.00) 0% vat, Irl 2.29 13.5% vat (€2.01)

So excluding one of the basic ryvitas, all other varieties are essentially the same price - but sure a balanced argument will never be put about by naysayers.

How about Pure Soy Spread? €1.55 Tesco Ireland, £1.59 Tesco NI - Maybe I should put that it the belfast telegraph.?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

Different markets, different costs, different customers, different habits, different demographics.

They're a business. They charge what people will pay, that's the long and short of it. If you're looking for state regulated prices, you might need to look eastwards :-)

If there's a real issue there, the best thing to do is use market forces to bring about change. If there is movement of market share towards Lidl or Aldi, then I'm sure Tesco will respond with better value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

It's been highlighted in plenty of threads in this forum before... This is not news.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Rip Off Ireland

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Cost is €1.89 per 250g.
    I would not pay that in tesco, when I do buy ryvitas there I would not pay more than 1.25. I stock up as they keep very well.

Here is a bargain alerts post I had made, 54cent in jan 2011
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=69984319

For some reason ryvitas price fluctuates wildly in tesco. So I only buy it when it is cheaper. I say "cheaper" and not "on offer" since very often it is not advertised as being an offer while its on sale much cheaper than usual.

In tesco loads of stuff is not advertised as being an offer or reduced. People fail to recognise what good value it is, they do not share the info in bargain alerts, but rather come here and scream ripoff when it goes back to a price more inline with their competitors, which can still be a reasonable price.

Advertisement