Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 Wireless broadband extremely slow

• 28-10-2008 1:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Hi,
    I've got Huawei E220 from O2, I usually have 4-5 bars on EDGE, but still my speed is comparable to dial up if not slower than that - steady 3kb/s is something i consider good.
    I am running xp home on acer travelmate laptop, never had any issues with it before, I am completely confused why it is so slow.

Anybody had this issue before?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

Me. For me its contention

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

i have had a similar issue for the last 7days with evening speeds dropping to 5 kbps between 6.30pm and 11.30pm. it appears to be caused by contention, i am using the E270 and daytime speeds exceed 2.5mbps but after 6.30pm i get no service at all!

i am in Carlow town and there are two colleges here signed up for o2's HEAnet broadband offer and this would explain the slow speeds as all the students signed up and other customers are left high n dry with a massive reduction in service!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Vitoldus

Well, I live in Lismore, co Waterford, and it's not exactly cork city, so i can't see many competitors hanging around, most people actually have regular broadband so that should exclude contention. And i have such a low speed regardless of the time of the day or night...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Vitoldus wrote: »
    Well, I live in Lismore, co Waterford, and it's not exactly cork city, so i can't see many competitors hanging around, most people actually have regular broadband so that should exclude contention. And i have such a low speed regardless of the time of the day or night...

But you're on EDGE all the time, which is never going to be anywhere near broadband speeds. The backhaul connection to the mast is probably going to be much lower for a non 3G mast, than it would be for a 3G mast, as speeds off it will be lower. If this is the case, then your EDGE speed will vary from about 240kbps downwards.

If EDGE is the only signal you're getting, and there are actual broadband alternatives, then it's time to consider one of them. EDGE is pretty much useless anywhere I've seen it. Even with full signal strength, I often get no Internet connectivity at all, when on EDGE.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 petermacn

No point in trying to watch RTE player or any video in the evening here in Nth Co Du blin. It is simply too slow, stopping everying few seconds . I rang customer service and was told to place the modem against the window. I tried that... and guess what, yep....no difference. I was told to try again later. Unfortuneately I signed up for eighteen months of this and could be stuck with it. Though , I feel i have a case for a refund as I am not getting half the speed I am paying for. Not a happy bunny at all....:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

EDGE is perfectly ok for me if I simply want to view webpages. If I needed to download something big simply leave it overnight. Thankfully they have upgraded to a full 3G signal here but occasionally it goes down and EDGE is an acceptable backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭missyfirefly

Bond-007 wrote: »
    EDGE is perfectly ok for me if I simply want to view webpages. If I needed to download something big simply leave it overnight. Thankfully they have upgraded to a full 3G signal here but occasionally it goes down and EDGE is an acceptable backup.

Set the Network type/Frequency band to 3G Only and it won't Fluctuate between 3G and EDGE.

You'll find this in the network options. It will either be phrased as WCDMA Only, 3G Only or 3G All.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I already knew that. There are times when there is no 3G signal. Nothing to do with my settings.

I do not set it to 3G preferred.

Up until last year there was no 3G here. I merely stated that EDGE was good enough then.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭missyfirefly

Bond-007 wrote: »
    There are times when there is no 3G signal. Nothing to do with my settings.

Thats probably due to cell shrinkage at peak times.

It's good that EDGE meets your needs so in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

http://www.speedtest.net/result/608482374.png

That's what I got just a minute ago, I'm in Cork City BTW

• Advertisement
Advertisement