Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Boards.ie Quick and Dirty Renting Guide

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Raspberries

Hi everyone I'm in the process of finding somewhere to share.

Can anyone give me some tips? It will be my first time renting so I don't really have a clue where to start. I've been looking at daft, is there any other sites I should be looking at?

What kind of things should I say/ask when looking somewhere? Should I mention that I'm a newbie to house-sharing apart from the usual sibling room sharing? Would that put some people off? Also, on some of the houses I have looked at, it says 'couples not accepted' does this mean I can't bring the boyf back every now and again or do they mean they don't want a couple in general? I was a bit confused about that.

Any help would be great! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Can anyone give me some tips? It will be my first time renting so I don't really have a clue where to start. I've been looking at daft, is there any other sites I should be looking at?

DAFT should be your one-stop shop. It does not really have any rivals in my opinion.
    What kind of things should I say/ask when looking somewhere? Should I mention that I'm a newbie to house-sharing apart from the usual sibling room sharing? Would that put some people off? Also, on some of the houses I have looked at, it says 'couples not accepted' does this mean I can't bring the boyf back every now and again or do they mean they don't want a couple in general? I was a bit confused about that.

'Couples only', this only applies to you moving in with your partner. Having your partner over to stay from time to time is fine in the majority of instances but to be courteous it would be worth mentioning this to whomever is letting the room. I've seen cases on boards where a person has their partner over so much they make a dent in utility use and contribute substantially to filling the bins.

Other things to note:
    • Ask if the rent includes any bills
    • If not, make sure you ask what you can expect to pay
    • In general you'll have TV/Internet, gas, esb and bins....first time renters can get a little shocked at the multitude of bills!
    • Treat a viewing like an interview, gauge if you like the person who's offering the room, they'll be doing the same. It's important as you the possibilty to make friends - this eases living together.
    • Ensure you pay rent via bank transfer or failing that have a rent book...it very important to keep track of what you've paid (you'll be eligible for tax-back on it too)

Hope some of that helped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 doops

Make sure that you dont go through Irish relocation services, just had a very bad experience with them. They had a tennant for us, we agreed the price, got references and waited and waited the tennant never arrived. What a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭metalgear2k2

Hi gang,

Again just looking for some tips on viewing property. My girlfriend and I will be viewing a nice house to rent this evening. Its just us that would be moving in, not sharing, is there any obvious questions we should be asking, will be our 1st time living together and while she has and is renting I have not so would be grateful for any advice ye could give us.

Added: the house has "No Minimum Lease" on the add, what does that mean? can we be asked to leave if the land lord feels like it etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

While door intercoms can be handy Remember If you move into Flat/Apartment/Bedsit No 1 in a building you effectively are signing up to being an 24/7 unpaid enquiry service for every gobdaw who shows up looking for a person but not knowing which flat they live in.

Try to avoid sharing with complete strangers but if you do establish whether your potential housemates partying habits = Anytime/Weekends only/Occasionally/Never

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭narfsnonsense

Hope this the right thread. I know there's a management fees thread above, but I wondering if renters are required to pay this, or if it should be the landlords?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If payment of the management fee isn't part of your lease agreement, then it's the landlord's responsibility. Usually landlords will build it into the monthly rent.

Well I don't have a lease as I am living in a house that 2 of my mates own. They have now moved to London and I'm sharing with two others. They don't have leases either.

I don't really mind paying it, but at the same time don't want to pay it, if I don't have to!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The owner of the property is liable for the management fee, you don't have to pay it.

Though you might want to tell your mates that there is a fee outstanding, otherwise they could be liable for penalties.

Oh yeah will definitely tell them! Thanks Seamus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

peteym wrote: »
    hi folks- hopefully somebody on here can help me......... I'm planning to live in Dublin City for June, July and August. Because it's only for 3 months I'm not having any success in finding places for that length of time. It's a one bed flat/apartment I'm looking for. I was told I could sign a 6 months/1 year lease and that it would be in my rights to opt out before 6 months and just give the landlord a months notice. Am I entitled to do that and would I get my deposit back???
    you are within your rights to give one months notice in writing,

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

I have a quick question.I'm just after getting off the phone with my landlord.I was asking him about what to do about moving out next week,my first contact with him about it.He said he needed a month's notice,despite us agreeing to a one-year lease which was coming to it's natural end.

He said that unless we could find someone to take the house off us,he'd have to deduct a month's rent from our deposit.

Is he right?Or do I have any recourse?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

I have a quick question.I'm just after getting off the phone with my landlord.I was asking him about what to do about moving out next week,my first contact with him about it.He said he needed a month's notice,despite us agreeing to a one-year lease which was coming to it's natural end.

He said that unless we could find someone to take the house off us,he'd have to deduct a month's rent from our deposit.

Is he right?Or do I have any recourse?

if you did not give him written notice one months worth and now is the first time you came up with this to himthen he has every right to take one months noticewhere by if you had gone to the trouble of a few minuits to jot down a note to him in writing a month ago, he could not come back on you then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

He said he needed a month's notice,despite us agreeing to a one-year lease

What's in your contract?

And quick one from me - could landlord force tenant to use vacuum cleaner with broken cord rewind? I presume it's safe, but it's broken someway and shouldn't be repaird first?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Hi,
    I have some questions regarding a landlord. We reached the end of a one year lease in an apartment rent, and moved out, the landlord never contacted us with regard to extending the lease or not, so we just left and left keys in postbox, and left them the deposit as a months rent.
    Now a month later they have contacted us via text saying that there is a sizeable amount in unpaid rent from during the years tenancy. This may very well be true, however the fact theyre only discovering/highlighting this now is ridiculous.
    They have stated that if we dont make contact within 24 hours they will be taking the matter up with our employer.
    Am i right in thinking they have no right to contact our employer about this, that it is a private matter between 2 parties?
    Could they bring us to the private residencies tenancy board now, even though we have moved out over a month ago and this "discrepancy" is only being highlighted to us now, from seemingly rent not paid from months back.
    thanks for any help

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Fiii

L5 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have some questions regarding a landlord. We reached the end of a one year lease in an apartment rent, and moved out, the landlord never contacted us with regard to extending the lease or not, so we just left and left keys in postbox, and left them the deposit as a months rent.
    Now a month later they have contacted us via text saying that there is a sizeable amount in unpaid rent from during the years tenancy. This may very well be true, however the fact theyre only discovering/highlighting this now is ridiculous.
    They have stated that if we dont make contact within 24 hours they will be taking the matter up with our employer.
    Am i right in thinking they have no right to contact our employer about this, that it is a private matter between 2 parties?
    Could they bring us to the private residencies tenancy board now, even though we have moved out over a month ago and this "discrepancy" is only being highlighted to us now, from seemingly rent not paid from months back.
    thanks for any help

So you didn't pay your rent at some point, moved out without telling them (yes maybe they should have contacted you, but you are also obliged to tell them you wish to leave) and now you think that's ok because you left a month ago? Please tell me you're not serious.

I am a renter and had a pretty terrible time with a previous landlord, but I gotta say, this time I think I am on their side.
    If you didn't pay your rent, you owe them, simple as.
    The fact that you left without a word (leaving them not knowing, and therefore missing out on potential rent from a new tenant AND making their house insurance null and void seeing as the property was empty for 30 consecutive days) in my opinion means they are probably entitled to keep your deposit too, and not just as your last months rent.

Yes, it may be stupid on their part that they are only noticing the "discrepancy" now, but maybe they are only now looking into the account since it suddenly stopped being paid into without notice.

No, it is nothing to do with your employer (unless the tenancy was something to do with them) and they are probably saying that to scare you.

Yes, they are within their rights to bring the matter to the PRTB if they wish. You owe them money, simple as....unless there is more to this story that I am just not getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

L5 wrote: »
    Hi,
    thanks for any help

If I were you I would be contacting the landlord ASAP to see what you can do to make things right. You are in the wrong on several counts (unpaid rent, deposit used in leiu of last months rent and not informing them that you are moving out are three glaringly obvious ones for starters). At the very least you owe them the last months rent and Id be very surprised if you havent lost your deposit along with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

zom wrote: »
    What's in your contract?

And quick one from me - could landlord force tenant to use vacuum cleaner with broken cord rewind? I presume it's safe, but it's broken someway and shouldn't be repaird first?

If its only literally the cord rewinder that is broken then its not a problem. They probably should by rights replace it, but the hoover still works (assuming that is all that is wrong with it) so Im sure they wouldnt see it as an immediate priority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭vaalea

Any good roommate "matchmaking" websites out there? What drives me crazy is that people post room details/pictures but that is just part of the equation... most people don't say anything much about themselves.
    Why don't more people use facebook marketplaces?
    I'm watching daft.ie and ie.easyroommate... anywhere else I should be looking? rent.ie seems mostly repetative of daft... gumtree doesn't seem to have good variety...
    Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭dammitjanet

I'm trying to sort out my rent relief and medical card, and asked my landlord for my rent book like all the websites suggest but she told me rent books aren't used anymore and my standing order in the bank is proof enough? She said she could contact the letting agents and get me a letter proving i'm a tennant if it helps.
    Is this right? I just don't want to screw up these applications.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

As I shouldn't continue OT posting on another thread but was asked to explain the diferrence.

Here is a basic explanation of the differences between fixed term and part 4 leases, as I understand it. Note, I am not a lawyer.

If you do not have a fixed term lease then you automatically have a part 4 lease (from Part 4 of the Residential Tenancies Act 2004.)

This provides security of tenure. After 6 months in-situ without being asked to vacate by the landlord, you are then entitled to remain for up to 4 years.

Part 4 tenancies do allow limited specific reasons that a landlord may terminate a tenancy earlier than this. These include wanting to sell the property, or wanting to move themselves, or their family in.

Even with these exceptions the land-lord has to give you increasing notice depending on how long you have been there. From only 4 weeks if you have been there less than 6 months, up to 16 weeks if you have been there for more than 4 years.

These reasons for early termination apply ONLY to a part4 tenancy.

If you have a fixed term lease (ie you signed a lease for 6 months, a year, whatever, instead of defaulting to a Part 4) then the above reasons for allowing the early termination of a Part 4 tenancy do not apply to you as you don't have a Part 4 tenancy. EG if they were to sell the property, you would be allowed remain, and the terms of your lease would apply to your new landlord. Reference:http://www.threshold.ie/page.asp?menu=70&page=241
    if a fixed term tenancy exists it cannot under any circumstances be terminated before the expiry of the term, unless the landlord or the tenant is in serious breach of the agreement.

Note: Fixed term leases may specifiy similar exceptions allowing early termination. Check your lease and decide if you want to accept them before you sign.

Additionally, at the end of a fixed term lease you are automatically entitled to a Part 4 tenancy. I have seen a fixed term lease with an added clause that stated that no such Part 4 tenancy could arrise at the end of the lease but I have no idea if this is a right that cannot be given up. So I cannot say as to whether that is valid or not.

You are supposed to give 1 to 3 months notice to your Landlord as to your intention to take up a Part 4 tenancy after your fixed term lease expires but even if you do not you are still entitled to the Part 4 tenancy. You're just rather inconsiderate and may be liable for expenses incurred by your landlord due to this. So give the correct notice.

Additionally here is a citizensinformation explanation of it.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/types_of_tenancy.html

Very much open to correction on this, as once again, I am not a lawyer. The main thing to remember is that Part 4 and fixed term leases are not the same beast, and that part 4 specific exceptions do not apply to fixed term leases.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

The purpose of this thread is to discuss in general, information pertinent to the rental of accommodation- and in particular to highlight information which is often inaccurate. Hopefully this will enlighten people and be a good resource/first port of call, for many questions people might have.

If you notice any inaccuracies in this thread itself- please use the 'report post' function.

Kind regards,

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭useruser

The law surrounding Part 4 tenancies is a little convoluted and some people get confused between a "fixed term" lease and the rights you have when your tenancy is Part 4.

Here are a couple of points that I hope will be helpful - if I have made any errors please post below and I will correct.

1. A fixed term lease usually permits the tenant to stay until the lease finishes regardless of any claim that the landlord may have (e.g. a need to move in themselves or wanting to sell the property). This is usually the case but a lease may also include a "break clause" which could allow this. I would suggest that it would be a bad idea to sign such a lease as it would confer little benefit on the tenant. If you have a lease in place and are being served with notice by your landlord then it is very important that you read the lease in detail and refer it to Threshold if necessary.

2. A corollary of the above rights is that as a tenant with a fixed term lease you are technically required to pay for a fixed lease until it finishes (again assuming there is no break clause). Part 4 rules allow you to assign the lease to someone else and if the landlord refuses this assignment you are free to break the lease (with notice). In practice it is probably unlikely that a landlord will pursue a tenant for the balance of a lease so it is worth negotiating if you need to leave early.

3. A part 4 tenancy comes into effect after 6 months of tenure so after a fixed lease expires there is no necessity for a tenant to renew a fixed lease if happy with the security of tenure that Part 4 offers. Of course once the fixed lease expires then the landlord is permitted to use the provisions of part 4 to give notice to tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Buddinplant

I'm trying to sort out my rent relief and medical card, and asked my landlord for my rent book like all the websites suggest but she told me rent books aren't used anymore and my standing order in the bank is proof enough? She said she could contact the letting agents and get me a letter proving i'm a tennant if it helps.
    Is this right? I just don't want to screw up these applications.

I've rent relief and if you dont have a rent book, you need a lease to provide proof of your residency.

The document stating your bank details and standing order, will prove your paying rent and to whom, but I've always needed further proof.

I have never dealt with letting agents, so not too sure about that point, so hopefully someone can help there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭TheScriptFan

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me..

I've been renting for a year in the one spot, so my lease is now up. The landlord contacted me to see if I wanted another year lease, I said no not really can I go month to month. I was told this would be okay, what they were doing for other tenants was issuing leases with a break-clause. Got the lease, there is a break-clause but has a two month notice required. I haven't signed the lease and returned it as of yet, because I was unhappy about that.
    Now I have decided to move out anyway, can I just give them one months notice? I was warned by Threshold that this particular letting agency is very bad at returning deposits, and he even suggested using my deposit as my last months rent - even though he said you should never do that. I definitely have concerns as it is a sizable deposit, and they never fixed several things throughout the year which I'm sure they would sting me for.
    Can I use my deposit as last months rent and issue them a letter saying I will pay any outstanding charges? I certainly wouldn't walk away from any charges but I would prefer to be in a repayment situation as I would imagine otherwise I won't get much deposit back.

Any help greatly appreciated!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 shonty

Hi Guys,

Im moving into a new apartment. The place is completely new and no one has lived in it before hand. the apartment is fully furnished, but there is no pots pans & cutlery etc. My question is should I insist on these being provided?.I have not signed the lease as of yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

shonty wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Im moving into a new apartment. The place is completely new and no one has lived in it before hand. the apartment is fully furnished, but there is no pots pans & cutlery etc. My question is should I insist on these being provided?.I have not signed the lease as of yet?

Unless you agreed it before moving in, i don't think so. You can pick up a cheap set in Ikea or Argos probably. They might get them for you, but I don't think they're obliged to

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Better getting your own stuff as you don't want some second-hand battered rubbish from a previous tenant or whatever the cheapest new crap the landlord could find

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 shonty

anyone give me any advice on signing a one year lease fro an apartment..as far as i know there is no clause in the contract..any advice would be great..thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭BlueIsland

Might not be right place ask!! When ya see a price for rent... Is that an asking price!? Can it be bargained!?

Advertisement