Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Boards.ie Quick and Dirty Renting Guide

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 jih2000

No one mentioned parking facilities, at one of my places above a shop, I had to walk quite some distance to the place I parked the car overnight, for me that is v important!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 bico

Lived in a beautiful converted Georgian house , the floors were made of timber. Woke up night hearing my upstairs and downstairs neighbours going to the toilet , also heard many other noises that didn't leave much for the imagination. It's a good idea to make sure there's a thick concrete slab between yourself and the neighbours

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

bico wrote:
    Lived in a beautiful converted Georgian house , the floors were made of timber. Woke up night hearing my upstairs and downstairs neighbours going to the toilet , also heard many other noises that didn't leave much for the imagination. It's a good idea to make sure there's a thick concrete slab between yourself and the neighbours

QFT.

have same issue at the moment. In old Georgian House too. Neighbours below us like to play loud music till 7am and the guy above is some sort of sexaholic:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

We had students above us, they used to have mad parties in the house, on the stairs up to the house, on the street outside etc. They had wooden floors and sh!tty furniture that sounded like an elephant when it was moved. I never did figure out what they were doing to each other, (sounded like red hot poker in ass) but they did have to come down to apologise to us. complanied to our landlord, complained to management company.. took a while as DADDY owned the apartment.
    Noise disruption is now some sort of asbo in Ireland, and the county council will inspect the noise if you ask.
    Of course, if we had noise regs for the new apartments would have been great.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

According to the following document (which Union of Students in Ireland IIRC for some reason DO NOT GIVE to students)
    http://www.prtb.ie/DownloadDocs/Residential%20Tenancies%20Act%202004%20-%20A%20Quick%20Guide.doc

Not if you give the required amount of notice-> see page 5
    Quote from Page 9 -> A tenancy agreement or lease cannot take away from rights and obligations provided for in the Residential Tenacies Act 2004 and if it purports to do so, that provision is rendered void. The landlord or tenant cannot contract, or be contracted, out of the rights or obligations of the Act.
    Therefore if you are entitled to give notice and leave thereafter, then my interpretation is that the landlord cannot make you pay for the remaining part of the lease.

I don't think the booklet is necessarily a correct interpretation of the law on that particular issue. The law is quite complicated on this topic. During the first six months, tenants have a lower level of protection than thereafter.

You should not depend on the PRTB material, it is not always correct.

• Advertisement

Was just flicking through seamus's great checklist as I'll probably be moving out in a few months. Are the landlords required to provide some items, e.g. fire alarms?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

seamus wrote:
    Right, this is what I've come up with:
    http://members.boards.ie/seamus/checklist.rtf
    (Best viewed in MS Word unfortunately, otherwise you'll have to reduce your margins a bit)

Anything missing from there?

I know myself from bike/car hunting that you can sometimes forget to ask the right question/look at the right things, or if you look at a few things in one day, you'll forget which one has which feature...

:)

Not workin for me?? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭bostonian

From my experience:

Don't live with couples- a 2 vs. 1 dynamic develops in times of conflict.

Meet the pets immediately. If the pet seems at all annoying, forget it. Some dogs are annoying with new people, but other dogs are annoying all the time, and you can't tell when you first meet them. Cats too.

Parking (if applicable). Think about security for street parking as well. Check the nearby sidewalks for smashed auto glass.

Drive by on a friday/saturday night, and see if it's a partying area.

Ask about the dishwashing/ cleaning of common areas policies NOW.

If you keep food in the house, it will be taken and not replaced.

Make sure the bedroom has a lock on the door.

Does the room get ventilation with the door closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Not workin for me?? :(
    I managed to salvage something from google cache. members.boards.ie died a long time ago :)

I also thought I had uploaded this twice already. I did it 3 weeks ago :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Always ask if the house you are looking at is for sale at the same time (and google the address anyhow).
    With the housing market in full crash mode right now many many places are both up for sale and up for rent.

You can be tossed out of the place with minimal notice if they find a buyer and the landlord will expect you to keep the place in pristine show house condition.
    They often will want you to vacate the place to show it if/when they get viewings with very short notice.

Look for a SUBSTANTIAL discount on similar properties in the area to put up with this and make sure you can afford to move again at moments notice.
    Personally would avoid houses for sale altogether, just not worth the hassle and upheaval.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Most noise that is experienced is from (a) overhead residents (b) exterior noise penetrating through windows - most of which is from the street.

The ground floor is the most accessible, making sense if you have a mobility problem. However, the ground floor is also reputed to be the most burgled or vandalised and risks rising damp. Any floor immediatly under a roof risks leaks.

Units with only north-facing windows don't get much sunlight, making those with southerly or dual aspects more desireable.

Upper storeys need less window cleaning, but may be harder to actually clean. Upper storeys can also be wind-blown.

Centre units have the best heat insulation as they gain heat from the surrounding units.

The top and bottom buttons on the intercom are the ones most likely to experience lost visitors or prank calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Cabal

I am just about to go and view some properties in Cork, and have never gone throught the whole househunting thing before, and I'm not sure what is normal procedure in Ireland. Is it acceptable to try and negotiate for a better monthly rate? I am prepared to haggle a little, but don't know if that is seriously frowned upon in Ireland, or just normal practice. Can anyone clear that up for me?

***No need to answer, I found a similar thread on the forum :) ***

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 agentyumi

The following are some things to look for and questions to ask when viewing apartments. It's always better to check things out yourself whenever possible rather than asking, since the answer you get might not be accurate. Take notes so you won't forget anything.
    • Are there laundry facilities? How much does laundry cost?
    • Is any furniture included?
    • Are the basics there (fridge, stove) and do they work?
    • Is there hot water and good water pressure?
    • Do the tub and sinks drain?
    • Are ceilings or walls stained or cracked? This may indicate defective rain gutters, or a leaking roof or plumbing, which could cause mold or a collapse.
    • Are there working smoke detectors in the building?
    • Are there functioning deadbolt locks on the apartment doors and exterior doors?
    • Are there storm windows and/or screens on the windows? Are there locks?
    • Do the windows have blinds? If not, will the landlord provide them? (Get this in writing, of course!)
    • Are windows secure or loose in the frame? Very gently push to check.
    • Are there roaches? Open cabinets and immediately shine flashlight, look for roaches and eggs.
    • Are there mice? Look for droppings in drawers, cabinets and closets.
    • Are there phone jacks in each room? How many phone lines? Can DSL be installed?
    • Is the apartment wired for cable? Where are the jacks? Are satellite dishes allowed?
    • Is there parking? How much does it cost? How is parking enforced?
    • Who is responsible for cleaning the common areas/ hallways, shoveling snow, and lawn care?
    • Are any tenants staying? This shows the general satisfaction level with the building/landlord.
    • Are pets allowed? Are there monthly pet fees?
    • Does the furnace work? Even in summer, push the thermostat up to see if it turns on.
    • Which utilities are included (gas, electricity, water, cable, phone)?
    • If gas or electric aren't included, average bill for the apartment. It could be hundreds of dollars per month in the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Pauley2

I'm thinking of renting out rooms in my house and have a few questions:
    1)re the EUR10,000 tax free income limit:

Revenue say that:" The total (gross) rent you receive (which includes sums the tenant pays for food, laundry or similar goods and services) cannot exceed €10,000. If you receive rental income over and above this amount, you are not entitled to the relief."

Does "similar goods and services" include any contribution towards bills ("services") such as Electricity, Gas, TV, phone etc?

For example, If I collected 10,000 in straight rent and on top of that the tenants split the bills with me (so I get another say, 1,500), this would = 11,500. Would that kill the 10k tax relief or are utility bills omitted from the revenue definition of "services"?

2) What's reasonable access re shared areas of the house? e.g. am I expected to share my living room, TV. etc?

While I hardly expect tenants to come home and lock themselves in their room every night, neither could I bear to have to share the TV remote, or worse yet sit together and make small talk all evening...!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Pauley2 wrote: »
    1)re the EUR10,000 tax free income limit:

Revenue say that:" The total (gross) rent you receive (which includes sums the tenant pays for food, laundry or similar goods and services) cannot exceed €10,000. If you receive rental income over and above this amount, you are not entitled to the relief."

Does "similar goods and services" include any contribution towards bills ("services") such as Electricity, Gas, TV, phone etc?

not unless you are manufacturing the Gas and Electricity etc yourself - the laundry & food charges apply if you are cooking for them, providing meals and doing their laundry for them.
    Pauley2 wrote: »
    2) What's reasonable access re shared areas of the house? e.g. am I expected to share my living room, TV. etc?

While I hardly expect tenants to come home and lock themselves in their room every night, neither could I bear to have to share the TV remote, or worse yet sit together and make small talk all evening...!

I think you got your answer in the forum below. Your house will be home for the tenants too! That's what they are paying for! Why not just convert your shed into a 'studio apartment"? O wait, you can't get away with that anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭fugazied

Be aware that 9/10 real estate agents will try to take all of your bond when you move out (usually unfairly). They always side with the landlord. Put everything in writing, take photos of everything and submit them to the real estate agency. Never trust the real estate agent, as soon as you move out they will turn into a vicious person trying to get your bond for ridiculous reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭grundie

Check ventilation!

The house we are about to move out of has poor ventilation meaning that some corners get damp, in particular ones around the wardrobea. The result of this is that clothing in the wardrobe that hasn't been used in a while is slightly damp and has gone mouldy.

If appliances keep breaking down don't be afraid to ask for a new one. Our washing machine broke down 5 times in three months. We asked the landlord to replace it on the grounds that we had no alternative way to wash clothes bar driving to a launderette and it would probably be cheaper for them as they were clearly throwing good money after bad on the repair costs.

If something does break down, report it immediately! You paying for it, so make sure it works.

If you have a a paranoid landlord only speak to them when you have a witness present. I had such a landlord, I paid on time every month, but he always found a reason to pop round every week and get into the house. His main worry was that there were more people staying in the house than there should be. Eventually it got nasty. He walked in on me naked one day (I had just showered) without giving me notice. He had the belief that ringing the bell was giving notice. I had my solicitor write him a letter reminding of his obligation to give notice before entering the house,so he gave me notice to quit six months ahead of the lease end on the grounds that seeing my girlfriends bra in my wash basket was reason to believe I had someone living with me. It never went to court, but those last six months were tense.

Make sure gas appliances are safety tested every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

grundie wrote: »
    He walked in on me naked one day (I had just showered) without giving me notice. He had the belief that ringing the bell was giving notice. I had my solicitor write him a letter reminding of his obligation to give notice before entering the house,so he gave me notice to quit six months ahead of the lease end on the grounds that seeing my girlfriends bra in my wash basket was reason to believe I had someone living with me.

:eek: That is such a violation of privacy. You were dead right with the solicitor's letter. Can't believe he based quitting the lease on a bra. Clutching at straps straws

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭grundie

Mink wrote: »
    :eek: That is such a violation of privacy. You were dead right with the solicitor's letter. Can't believe he based quitting the lease on a bra. Clutching at straps straws

By his own admission he managed to pressure someone to leave (voluntarily) another of his properties on similar grounds. I tried to find out who it was so I could tell them off for being an idiot and to go sue him.

The above mentioned landlord always had an excuse to pop round. He had to 'look at something' or 'check something'. Such was his paranoia about getting ripped off he insisted on being present when he was getting new double glazing installed in the property. The glaziers admitted to me that they were seriously pissed off by him sitting staring at them all day. After the new windows were installed he waited three months to redecorate the bare plater around the windows.

My solicitor had told me that I probably would have a good claim against him for breach of contract, privacy and possibly even harassment for breaching my right to free enjoyment of the property with all his visits. I decided not to sue because of his stubbornness, he would be the sort of person who'd rather got to jail than pay out on a court order.

He once pleaded poverty to me, yet he owned 38 properties and was very proud of his Patek Philippe watch (they make Rolex look like Casio). The cheek!

So long as you pay your rent you are entitled to live in the property as if it were your own property. If the landlord wants in he has to pre-arrange it and he needs good reason too. If he messes around with you, put him in his place!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I'm lucky I rent room in easy going friend's house!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 doodle_bear

Hey all,

Myself and 2 other IADT students have found a house in Foxrock but we need a 4th person to rent with.
    The house is about 20mins from the college but buses are right there for people who dont like to walk!smile.gif
    The house is really spacious, has 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms......
    heres the link:
    http://www.rent.ie/houses-to-let/Ker...lin-18/771587/

We havnt put a deposit down yet but we intend on doing so ASAP as college starts monday so please contact me at

lhanlon182@hotmail.com the name is Lara, btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭tanyaog2007

hi ya, quick question , just moved into a apartment on my own,there was no kettle, toster,microwave forks, curtins, pots, pans ect ect . my mom was talking to her friend and she said all that stuff is supsose suppiled for me, so can anybody tell me what the story is??

i have my lease already signed, i was in such a rush to find a place i didnt even notice all this stuff was missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

i have my lease already signed,
    What does the lease say? If it is silent on these things, you can't expect them to be included.
    there was no kettle, toster,microwave forks, curtins, pots, pans ect ect
    Many places wouldn't have these things, although most places do have curtains.
    my mom was talking to her friend and she said all that stuff is supsose suppiled for me, so can anybody tell me what the story is??
    Says who?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but I think it's very important to make sure your potential house mates are sound and you can get on relatively well with each other before you choose to move in.

There's nothing worse than living in a hostile or unfriendly environment. Makes things very awkward and you could end up miserable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Hi folks, Just have a quick question.

Im currently living in rented accom. with the GF.
    We signed a 12 month lease with the landlord. Our circumstances have changed and now we have to move. We are in the house approx 6 months.
    There are no problems with the house or the landlord, and she is pretty sound.

So my question is: Am I entitled to our deposit back?
    From reading through Threshold.ie, it appears we are, but they have many was of wording things. so can anyone give me advice as t how to proceed?

Thanks.

EDIT: found more info on it, turns out im not really entitled to the deposit back AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭pele10

We want our landlord to install an alarm in the apartment as there has been some breakins in nearby apartments. He put in an extra chubb lock, however we want an alarm and he is relucant to shell out the funds. Where does a tenant stand legally on this type of issue? As a last resort we will move out and get apartment with an alarm as there are loads of ones at good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

Hey guys, I'm looking for a new place to rent and I think I've found somewhere that seems ok.

The LL doesn't seem bothered about signing a lease - how normal is this. They have no problem in drawing one up. Their reason was to see how I got on with the other housemates.

Seems fair enough - what do you think? 12 month lease would give me peace of mind. On the other hand who knows what the housemates are like and what my (financial) circumstances will be in the future.

Also what's the best way to give a deposit & rent? I was thinking of just using online banking (I've no cheque book). I presume that's nice and traceable. I'm very wary about handing over large sums of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Doop

pele10 wrote: »
    We want our landlord to install an alarm in the apartment as there has been some breakins in nearby apartments. He put in an extra chubb lock, however we want an alarm and he is relucant to shell out the funds. Where does a tenant stand legally on this type of issue? As a last resort we will move out and get apartment with an alarm as there are loads of ones at good value.

Sounds like you'll be moving out so...

Landlord is not obliged to provide an alarm...

Legally,.. you rented the property as it was when you went to view it. .. ie no alarm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

wyrn wrote: »
    Hey guys, I'm looking for a new place to rent and I think I've found somewhere that seems ok.

The LL doesn't seem bothered about signing a lease - how normal is this. They have no problem in drawing one up. Their reason was to see how I got on with the other housemates.

Seems fair enough - what do you think? 12 month lease would give me peace of mind. On the other hand who knows what the housemates are like and what my (financial) circumstances will be in the future.

Also what's the best way to give a deposit & rent? I was thinking of just using online banking (I've no cheque book). I presume that's nice and traceable. I'm very wary about handing over large sums of money.

typically it would be unusual to have a lease in a house share. Most people wouldn't want one in case they don't get on with the others in the house. EFT is fine and traceable for deposit and rent, just clearly state on the narrative what the money is for. Forget the lease, but do get something signed to cover what basis the deposit is being taken on and in what instance can the deposit or a part thereof be retained.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

hi ya, quick question , just moved into a apartment on my own,there was no kettle, toster,microwave forks, curtins, pots, pans ect ect . my mom was talking to her friend and she said all that stuff is supsose suppiled for me, so can anybody tell me what the story is??

i have my lease already signed, i was in such a rush to find a place i didnt even notice all this stuff was missing.

When I moved into my current place, the lease had a list of items supposedly supplied so I made the landlord wait while I conducted an audit of what she said was there...turned out about 20% of what was on the list was there. I ensured there was a written undertaken on the lease to supply the missing items and in fairness the Landlord was back the next day with new kettle, delph, cutlery, pots etc.

Point is, if you didnt look for these things before you signed the lease then the LL has no obligation to provide them legally so chalk this down to inexperience and impetuousness on your behalf.

Incidentally, have you even approached the LL concerning this issue? or has it just been good oul boards.ie and your mom proffering advice thus far :rolleyes:

Advertisement