Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Noisy housemate

• 02-12-2019 11:15pm
    Site Banned Posts: 135 ✭✭

I am house sharing and a guy moved in after me and been living there years now.

He's always playing music and in and out late at night as that's his profession.

It drives me nuts...I'm in my room now and can hear it from his room.

I have said many things to him throughout the years as he's a fool, messy etc. but I don't want to be a hitler either...but my gut says it's not acceptable to have to listen to others noise all the time. Youtube and cooking late at night/midnight at times too.

Do they have a right to be in and out late at night, cooking, making noise, playing videos etc.?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭han2000

Sloppy_Joe wrote: »

He's always playing music and in and out late at night as that's his profession.

I have said many things to him throughout the years as he's a fool, messy etc. but I don't want to be a hitler either...but my gut says it's not acceptable to have to listen to others noise all the time. Youtube and cooking late at night/midnight at times too.

Do they have a right to be in and out late at night, cooking, making noise, playing videos etc.?

After house sharing for a number of years I've come to the conclusion that some people are oblivious to things like this, I bet it doesn't even register with him when he's cooking up a late night feast that you're in your bedroom trying to sleep.

How has he reacted when you've passed comments on this kind of thing previously?

Whenever we were looking for a new housemate we'd always try and find out their daily routine etc. just to be sure they were a fit for the house.

In short, does he have a right to be in and out late at night and making noise? Yes
    Does that make any easier to listen to him? No

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Most house shares have a simple rule, no loud music,tv, after 11pm.
    he can listen to tv,youtube,at night etc using headphones.
    just because he is a musician is no excuse,
    if i was the landlord i,d tell him to move out or else quieten down.
    this person sounds stupid selfish or else he does nt care about anyone else.
    most people sleep between the hours of 12 and 8am.
    there has to be some time where there is no loud noise or music .

• Site Banned Posts: 135 ✭✭Sloppy_Joe

han2000 wrote: »
    After house sharing for a number of years I've come to the conclusion that some people are oblivious to things like this, I bet it doesn't even register with him when he's cooking up a late night feast that you're in your bedroom trying to sleep.

How has he reacted when you've passed comments on this kind of thing previously?

Whenever we were looking for a new housemate we'd always try and find out their daily routine etc. just to be sure they were a fit for the house.

In short, does he have a right to be in and out late at night and making noise? Yes
    Does that make any easier to listen to him? No

He's reacted fine. They (another one in the house is a weirdo and does weird things also) keep quiet for a few weeks and then it's like I never said a thing.

I've lived with so many people and i can't believe how many people have no sense to clean up, sweep a floor, put out the bins, pay rent on the day it's due etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭han2000

He's reacted fine. They (another one in the house is a weirdo and does weird things also) keep quiet for a few weeks and then it's like I never said a thing.

I've lived with so many people and i can't believe how many people have no sense to clean up, sweep a floor, put out the bins, pay rent on the day it's due etc.

I've never been unfortunate enough to have to deal with more than one of these kind of people at the same time, I can only imagine how much fun two of them are.

Are they unbearable enough that you would consider speaking to the landlord? Or speak to the housemates first and let them know that it's gone a bit beyond a joke and that they need to start being a bit more considerate or you will be speaking to the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

It kind of sounds like house sharing is just not for you. I feel for you, because I'm a light sleeper and like my peace but it's unreasonable to agree to house share with someone who works nights and then complain that they watch tv/cook dinner after work, it's fairly normal behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭pawrick

Could you swap rooms to be further away from the noise? Aside from that everyone has a different tolerance of noise and people, sometimes if possible the best course of action is to simply move out and save yourself the hassle and annoyance over something which it seems is unlikely to ever change.

When you are living in a house share you have to make think of others people welfare ,talk to the other house mates ,agree a rule ,no loud noise between 12 midnight to 8am.
    this musician is a selfish idiot,
    he can use headphones after midnight, he can reduce the noise level after midnight IF He wants to.
    he,s like a person who smokes in the front room, in a house full of non smokers.
    everyone needs 8 hours sleep,this will effect your health in the long term if you dont do something.
    if its not sorted in a month my advice is look for a new place to live.
    I house shared for 3 years ,.there was not one night i was woken annoyed by noise,music or tv sound,
    everyone was working, the gaff was quiet from 12 to 8am.
    Everyone knew the rule is no loud noise after midnight .
    YOU are not being rude, if you pay rent to a landlord the bare
    you should expect to get 8 hours sleep every night .
    you are too timid or too polite.
    sleep is a vital part of a healthy lifestyle .its not a luxury.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

riclad wrote: »
    When you are living in a house share you have to make think of others people welfare ,talk to the other house mates ,agree a rule ,no loud noise between 12 midnight to 8am.

These rules only work in a house where there are no shift workers or evening workers though. No loud music is fair enough but you can't tell someone not to cook a dinner or watch tv (on a respectable volume) after work.

I Don,t think he,s a shift worker, i think he,s a selfish idiot, who likes to party and stay up late .or just play music at odd hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

It's been years. It's not going to change. Find a new place to live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

It's been years. It's not going to change. Find a new place to live.

Advertisement